Like Tree110Likes

Tamiya Direct Drive Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommi Makkinen
guys,

im considering attaching F-201 wheels and tires on my F-103GT for a project. has anyone done this already? if so, any modifications done to the chassis or was it a straightforward "bolt-on" job?

thanks in advance
Our very own Troy Kendall deserves the kudos for this one:

Kendall F201 Wheel Conversion
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (89%+)

thanks slcf1 and Troy. will try this trick on my surplus F-201 tires and wheels.

by the way, the steps outlined by Troy involves using old F-103 rims...

do you guys have steps for using F-201 wheels and tires on a F-103GT chassis that accepts touring car tires as is?

thanks in advance bro.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Tech Regular

Hi, will the Tamiya direct drive w/ tc wheels & tires hang with a 4wd tc? Stock, 19T, mod? Don
Old 09-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

DLS II, the answer is an easy one....yes.....while the TC has 4WD, the 103GT is 300g's lighter. Here in south Florida at our track, we have a few guys that set their 103GT's with sedan bodies and not only hang with, but outrun traditional TC's.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:28 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Digging this back up from the dead. I was wondering if anyone here has run their F103GT at the Tamiya track in Aliso Viejo? I am looking for a good starting setup to run with the car. I ran it once a long time ago, but this was even before the Courage was out.

On a side note, if anyone is looking for a really hopped up F103gt, I happend to get a second car that I am selling: full titanium screws, TRF damper, carbon fiber lower deck, upper deck, tie-rods, sport tuned motor, B3 tires, prepainted Courage body, and more! Let me know and make me an offer if interested.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah, I've run along or beaten many TCs.

The trick is in the differential.
Alfie

Originally Posted by DLS II
Hi, will the Tamiya direct drive w/ tc wheels & tires hang with a 4wd tc? Stock, 19T, mod? Don
Originally Posted by Headshot
DLS II, the answer is an easy one....yes.....while the TC has 4WD, the 103GT is 300g's lighter. Here in south Florida at our track, we have a few guys that set their 103GT's with sedan bodies and not only hang with, but outrun traditional TC's.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

What would be a good set up for carpet with medium traction? How tight should the diff be?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone have any info about if and hopefully when Tamiya will produce different types of bodies for the F103GT? Also, does anyone know if the Toyota, Audi, and Porsche lemans bodies will fit over the tires on the F103GT?
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magerp
Does anyone have any info about if and hopefully when Tamiya will produce different types of bodies for the F103GT? Also, does anyone know if the Toyota, Audi, and Porsche lemans bodies will fit over the tires on the F103GT?
Hello,

When I was at Tamiya Japan I asked the same question of the Marketing and Design guys I met. Marketing said "no plans". Design guy said, "we made the Courage for fun.. the chassis is for enthusiasts to get into touring cheaply."

Apparently the designers get a "turn" at producing a car. The F201 was one of those. The Courage body was the same. I was re-informed that, " Tamiya has over 400 products in their catalog," and that, "all those products have parts support." So Tamiya has enthusiasts for Le Mans but I think endurance racing is on hold in Japan for now. But my own opinion is that endurance is making a comeback.

The old F103 Le Mans bodies fit but the tires sit on the chassis differently making things a little tight. I would get a second opinion on this.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slcf1
Hello,

When I was at Tamiya Japan I asked the same question of the Marketing and Design guys I met. Marketing said "no plans". Design guy said, "we made the Courage for fun.. the chassis is for enthusiasts to get into touring cheaply."

Apparently the designers get a "turn" at producing a car. The F201 was one of those. The Courage body was the same. I was re-informed that, " Tamiya has over 400 products in their catalog," and that, "all those products have parts support." So Tamiya has enthusiasts for Le Mans but I think endurance racing is on hold in Japan for now. But my own opinion is that endurance is making a comeback.

The old F103 Le Mans bodies fit but the tires sit on the chassis differently making things a little tight. I would get a second opinion on this.
That's a real shame.

I was hoping that the would either release a few more current LMP's (Lemans Prototypes) like the Porsche and Audi R10, or even use the F103GT platform for older, now classic Lemans racers:

Ferrari 333sp
Audi R8 (so many different paint scheme/sticker possibilities!)
BMW V12 LMR

Just to name a few. Oh well.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Tech Initiate

That is sad to hear. In my opinion, this doesn't make business sense because the Courage seams to be popular, thus making money for Tamiya. I would think Tamiya would want to expand this product line to make more money.

P.S. If Tamiya is only making kits for fun, maybe I should spend my hard earned money on a different company, for fun.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Body Question....

I am confused...do they make F1 bodies to fit the 103Gt? Or is the courage the ONLY option?
Old 11-07-2007, 10:40 AM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I don't think Tamiya looks at improving sales through offering greater choices too its rc supporters. They look at all of the T amiya products inlcuding models, little robots, etc. They don't see a need to make improvements in their rc car body line. It would not improve their bottom line, in their opinion. They just sold their large U.S. facility, including the great track For the last two years they have not participated in the iHobby Expo in the Chicago area to save money. There were a lot of very disappointed Tamiya fans walking around the show. I think their logic is completely wrong. Their TCS program is fun, but they could do so much more with very little effort. It is not what it says it's supposed to be.One of the biggest hobby companies in the world, is very short sighted in their decisions.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
I don't think Tamiya looks at improving sales through offering greater choices too its rc supporters. They look at all of the T amiya products inlcuding models, little robots, etc. They don't see a need to make improvements in their rc car body line. It would not improve their bottom line, in their opinion. They just sold their large U.S. facility, including the great track For the last two years they have not participated in the iHobby Expo in the Chicago area to save money. There were a lot of very disappointed Tamiya fans walking around the show. I think their logic is completely wrong. Their TCS program is fun, but they could do so much more with very little effort. It is not what it says it's supposed to be.One of the biggest hobby companies in the world, is very short sighted in their decisions.
A simple no would work.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:35 PM
AWK
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MD
The iHobby has nothing to do with saving money, rather some other factors. People from Tamiya still went and attended the show over the weekend.

The building is not sold as of now and is still operational from the warehouse.

If you were around Tamiya you would know more details of what is currently going on. Unfortunately, it is very easy to make assumptions based off what decisions look like and not knowing the logic behind them. Please know that things are changing in the industry and Tamiya is looking at ways to keep up with the market.

And no....Tamiya does not currently offer any F1 bodies to work on the F103GT chassis set.

Last edited by AWK; 11-07-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.