Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya TB-Evolution III

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's a zip file containing an Excel file of a gear chart for the 414 and Evo3. You can print this out laminate it and shoe goo it to the back of your RPM gear case. Works well.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
spinion.zip (4.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 01-18-2004, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Foams

Here's a really stupid question - now don't laugh at me for this Why aren't foam tyres used on carpet tracks???

There's a guy a the track I go to uses them and he goes pretty well - I've got tons of old ones from my nitro, but thought they wouldn't go very well on carpet tracks, but after seeing this guy, I think I'll try them out!!!

If I do try them out, does anyone have any tips about altering the setup for them? They are 26mm versus the 24mm rubber tyres I would normally use.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:58 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Mark
How are you? Are you still racing at the track in Lauf?

Regarding foams on carpet itīs a special situation in Germany. There are no rules and therefore also no racing with foams.
But in the USA and from what I know in Great Britain also there is racing touring cars with foams.

I donīt have setups for the EVO 3 with foams but usually much harder springs are used. The TC3 springs should work I think white, yellow and maybe the purple for rears are a good starting point. Also no oneway is used for the front.
But I donīt know if every type of the foams is working on carpet. Maybe you need harder foams on carpet but I donīt know eaxctly.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally posted by V12
Hi Mark

Regarding foams on carpet itīs a special situation in Germany. There are no rules and therefore also no racing with foams.
But in the USA and from what I know in Great Britain also there is racing touring cars with foams.

I donīt have setups for the EVO 3 with foams but usually much harder springs are used. The TC3 springs should work I think white, yellow and maybe the purple for rears are a good starting point. Also no oneway is used for the front.
But I donīt know if every type of the foams is working on carpet. Maybe you need harder foams on carpet but I donīt know eaxctly.
Mark,

In the USA there is alot of Touring car racing with foams on carpet. The foams usually are good for at least 2-3 extra laps over the rubber tires using the same motor. At the Novak US Touring Car Championships there was a Modified foam class, a 19t class on foam, and a stock class on foam. Foam works very well on carpet. At this race the foam caused the rubber tire racers traction role problems because so much grip was put down by the foam tires.

If you look back on this thread you will see some foam tire setups. You might have to look back aways though.

Good Luck.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by V12
[B]Hi Mark
Thanks, V12, I'm fine and you? Have you been driving much over christmas?
Yes, I'm still going to the Lauf circuit - really like it now, it is very small but challenging and the people are nice and friendly, too.

That would explain some of it. The guy I was talking to at the circuit reckons his foams last forever there, so from a cost point of view it would be quite attractive to use foams - not to mention the lack of gluing tyres and the added complication of selecting the right inserts.

Thanks for the tip about the TC3 springs - I'll have to get myself some - it really gets on my nerves that I have to by a whole pack of springs from Tamiya just to get two springs which I want!

Tyres are my main weakness at the moment, I've got a nice setup, but the car understeers too much into the corner with the tamiya tyres I've been using. I've just got some Takeoff CS27s from Modellbau Friedel already glued with medium LRP inserts and wanted to test these today, but there was a youth race on at Lauf Now I'll have to wait until next fridays for the chance to test the foams and the CS27s.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by f1larry
Mark,

In the USA there is alot of Touring car racing with foams on carpet. The foams usually are good for at least 2-3 extra laps over the rubber tires using the same motor. At the Novak US Touring Car Championships there was a Modified foam class, a 19t class on foam, and a stock class on foam. Foam works very well on carpet. At this race the foam caused the rubber tire racers traction role problems because so much grip was put down by the foam tires.

If you look back on this thread you will see some foam tire setups. You might have to look back aways though.

Good Luck.
Thanks for the info F1larry,

Would you say that there is less grip with foams?

Looking at the 1/12th scale scene, everyone uses foams - it seems confusing to me why 1/10th electric uses rubber tyres

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:01 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Had a qualification race for German Champs beginning right one day after new year and a GT race next weekend at same track.

Yes wonīt have problems with inserts but maybe you have other problems choosing right hardness and type of foam when racing. Also there are variantions in hardness with same tires so you have to match tires. If you wanna be really fast with foams you have to choose the right diameter as this affects handling very much. So you maybe replace some problems with different ones. I know about this when I raced 1:10 onroad (RC10L) some years ago. But if you race for fun only and not for competition you doesnīt have to care for those problems that much.

As I know you also could buy the Tamiya springs in pairs (matched).
Old 01-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally posted by markp27
Thanks for the info F1larry,

Would you say that there is less grip with foams?

Looking at the 1/12th scale scene, everyone uses foams - it seems confusing to me why 1/10th electric uses rubber tyres

Cheers, Mark.
Mark,

The Foams have much more grip. As for cost with foams, in theory they sound like they me be cheaper in the long run, but it all depends on how much you cut them down to match the diameters, if you chunk a tire you need to start over with a new set. the advantage with foams you have faster lap times because of the grip.

Look at the results from the Novak US touring car championships on this website or at www.trackside.com for the final reults.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by V12
Had a qualification race for German Champs beginning right one day after new year and a GT race next weekend at same track.

Yes wonīt have problems with inserts but maybe you have other problems choosing right hardness and type of foam when racing. Also there are variantions in hardness with same tires so you have to match tires. If you wanna be really fast with foams you have to choose the right diameter as this affects handling very much. So you maybe replace some problems with different ones. I know about this when I raced 1:10 onroad (RC10L) some years ago. But if you race for fun only and not for competition you doesnīt have to care for those problems that much.

As I know you also could buy the Tamiya springs in pairs (matched).
How did your qualification race go?

How do you choose your tyre/insert combination between summer and winter - I mean: do you use the same tyres but simply choose different insert hardness for when it gets to summer?

At the moment, I'm only really interested in learning to drive my car - but my long term goal is to start entering competitions. I think I would try a race at the earliest at the end of this year - there are a lot of things on the setup which I need to learn still. I think if I went into a competition now, I would simply be ueberfordert and end up not enjoying the experience. For me it is better to gain experience in setting up the car and finding out how to solve problems under non-competition situations.

Re: springs - probably my shop couldn't get them. He said he could only get the packs with sets of soft to hard springs in them.

Another question about the springs - the white springs I've got (xtra-hard, I think) seem slightly soft to me - are there harder ones available?

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:57 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Qualification was Ok but not the result I had expected.

Tires are depending on rules for a given race. Sometimes its fix or "handout" sometimes different tires are allowed but never completely free tirechoice in Germany.
Usually I run CS27 outdoors sometimes the LRP VTEC27. Indoors I like the Sorex 28 but most times we are limited to the CS27 again. But much less grip on carpet than the Sorex 28. But the CS27 are really longlife tires. We found they need some runs for working good on carpet. You really should use tire traction compounds on carpet. We use the Corally Jack the Gripper or CS High Grip (indoor only).

Regarding inserts outdoors I like the Take Off medium inserts very much with the CS27. Thatīs the same inserts as the one included in the 2 piece package. Indoors Iīm usually using 2 piece inserts like the JB blue or LRP VTEC yellow. These provide more airgap and therefore generate more grip but are for carpet only. They could overheat tires outdoors.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by V12
Qualification was Ok but not the result I had expected.

Tires are depending on rules for a given race. Sometimes its fix or "handout" sometimes different tires are allowed but never completely free tirechoice in Germany.
Usually I run CS27 outdoors sometimes the LRP VTEC27. Indoors I like the Sorex 28 but most times we are limited to the CS27 again. But much less grip on carpet than the Sorex 28. But the CS27 are really longlife tires. We found they need some runs for working good on carpet. You really should use tire traction compounds on carpet. We use the Corally Jack the Gripper or CS High Grip (indoor only).

Regarding inserts outdoors I like the Take Off medium inserts very much with the CS27. Thatīs the same inserts as the one included in the 2 piece package. Indoors Iīm usually using 2 piece inserts like the JB blue or LRP VTEC yellow. These provide more airgap and therefore generate more grip but are for carpet only. They could overheat tires outdoors.
Are the JB Blues from Orion? The blue inserts are the harder ones?
I think I'll have to get some Sorex28s, too - the tamiya tyres didn't offer enough grip and maybe the CS27s won't either

Cheers, Mark.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:22 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Yes, the JB Blue are from Orion.

If you want good grip on carpet the Sorex 28 really are much better than the CS27.

But be sure using a softer wheel also. Very stiff ones arenīt that good for carpet especially on small tracks like Lauf.
I wouldnīt go for any harder than the LRP VTEC wheels. Very good are the Orion JB hard wheels, this is medium hardness out of three different. Or the Schumacher Revlite (no inchup). Also good are the Proline wheels but they cost more than the other ones.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by V12
Yes, the JB Blue are from Orion.

If you want good grip on carpet the Sorex 28 really are much better than the CS27.

But be sure using a softer wheel also. Very stiff ones arenīt that good for carpet especially on small tracks like Lauf.
I wouldnīt go for any harder than the LRP VTEC wheels. Very good are the Orion JB hard wheels, this is medium hardness out of three different. Or the Schumacher Revlite (no inchup). Also good are the Proline wheels but they cost more than the other ones.
That's good information! I wasn't really aware about the wheel hardness - I'll see if I can get some.

Thanks, Mark.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Tech Regular

hey people

im desperatly after a 3 piece prop shaft.

if anyone knows where to get one or has one for sale, get in touch.

thanks alot

Tarnjit
Old 01-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Have you tried pre-ordering the 3 piece center shaft set from Rainbow 10. I received my shaft set after nearly 2 months of being on the waiting list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.