Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Currently for Tq im on the stock setup only changes are no shims under arm mounts for lower roll center, yok blu springs all around, 37.5 wt shock oil, and 3k in the rear diff. The car is extremely easy to drive for the first couple of minutes in usgt trim. My next changes are for thicker rear diff oil for more rotation and better drive out of the corner. Oh and im playing with gearing still. Other than that my car is a dream to drive.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Well my current set up works fine, it just needs some refinement. I like to see what path others are taking. There are many ways to reach the finish line.

One of the reasons the X-rays are so popular is the user support base. They are excellent cars, but they also have the one of the biggest information sharing networks out there. Someone new to the chassis can get on here or petite RC and get a setup that had the car damn near dialed in for any track.

I know there are a lot of these cars out there with or without the EXO conversion. Let's start sharing more info on what we find with the car. It's quirks and the fixes. Let's mak the EVO 6 as easy to use.
I am new to RCTech from a posting standpoint but a long time browser of the forums. Professor's post encouraged me to sign up and take part of the Evo 6 forum. I 100% agree with his post above and the call for a great community assistance for the Evo 6.

I will work to put together a set up sheet for my Exo conversion but I will have an oddity that won't apply to most but I will still share none-the-less.

Similar to Professor, I have been a long time VBC loyalist. The Exotek conversion intrigued me and I had a TB04 on the self that was an asphalt racer for my youngest son. I purchased the Exo kit and converted everything over and was very impressed. I am running active rear toe on my setup so I'm not sure how much my set ups will be to everyone, but I will post it tomorrow.

I race on a very low bite carpet track in USGT and the Exo set up has unbelievable traction even with brand new USGT tires. I am often looking for ways to dial out rear traction (we do not have the new CRC carpet either).

Thanks in advance for all those who have contributed advice, reading through all the past posts has been very helpful.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

What are you using to run active rear toe. Get that lost count up so we can see some pics. I'm interested to see how it works on the Exo6.

Raxerx1. I thought for more rotation, you would go with a thinner diff oil. Wouldn't a thinker oil cause more slide vs actual rotation? Or I could be off with my though process. Also if you're looking for better rotation, have you thought about using less rear toe? Or a shorter wheel base?
Slashripper likes this.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:01 PM
Tech Master

What are you using to run active rear toe. Get that lost count up so we can see some pics. I'm interested to see how it works on the Exo6.

Raxerx1. I thought for more rotation, you would go with a thinner diff oil. Wouldn't a thinker oil cause more slide vs actual rotation? Or I could be off with my though process. Also if you're looking for better rotation, have you thought about using less rear toe? Or a shorter wheel base?
Well since i have to rebuild my leaky diff its an easy one to start with. On higher bite going up in diff oil weight can provide better stability and rotation as the car will not be as willing to diff out while cornering. Also a heavier oil will change less throughout the run. Most of the belt car at my track have ended up with 7k in the rear to help the rear come around a bit more. Less rear toe is on the list of things to try as well but i dont have the blocks yet lol
Old 12-02-2015, 07:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My car was fine with one set Sweep 32's and then i purchased a new set of the same tires and it's traction rolling all over the place, completely undrivable! I'm hoping its a bad batch of tires. I will be doing some testing in a week or two. I will be posting my setup soon and asking for advice on traction rolling. I'm driving on med - high grip carpet.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

My car 17.5 was traction rolling like crazy on sweep 32's. Switched to Jaco blues and the car became very drivable.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Questions??

My car 17.5 was traction rolling like crazy on sweep 32's. Switched to Jaco blues and the car became very drivable.
Professor what spring were you running?
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Emaculant
My car was fine with one set Sweep 32's and then i purchased a new set of the same tires and it's traction rolling all over the place, completely undrivable! I'm hoping its a bad batch of tires. I will be doing some testing in a week or two. I will be posting my setup soon and asking for advice on traction rolling. I'm driving on med - high grip carpet.
1)Run a softer front spring than the rear.
2)Move your front shock position in one hole on the shock tower.
3)Reduce front camber.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=theproffesor;14289799]What are you using to run active rear toe. Get that lost count up so we can see some pics. I'm interested to see how it works on the Exo6.

Hopefully if I did this right, you will be able to see 3 pics of the active rear toe. For now, because I am more familiar with the VBC items more so than Tamiya (or others) I am using VBC springs, sway bars, Active Rear Toe and I have switched to VBC balls / ball cups. I also run the Ewippler carbon driveshaft and Acer ceramic bearings.

I really like my VBC chassis, but when I switched to the Exo 6, it was instantly just as fast, generated more grip and is way easier to drive. I think it was the overall smoothness that I have benefitted from the most and have been able to hold very consistent lap times from fast lap to the top 20 avg. I never feel like I am chasing the car at all. Always in control.

Also as you commented, I have played around with the wheel base and track width of the car and have found HUGE changes in the car by using those adjustments.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-overhead.jpg   Tamiya TB Evo 6-iso.jpg   Tamiya TB Evo 6-eye-level.jpg  
Old 12-03-2015, 10:41 AM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=RollingChicane2;14290575]

Hopefully if I did this right, you will be able to see 3 pics of the active rear toe. For now, because I am more familiar with the VBC items more so than Tamiya (or others) I am using VBC springs, sway bars, Active Rear Toe and I have switched to VBC balls / ball cups. I also run the Ewippler carbon driveshaft and Acer ceramic bearings.

I really like my VBC chassis, but when I switched to the Exo 6, it was instantly just as fast, generated more grip and is way easier to drive. I think it was the overall smoothness that I have benefitted from the most and have been able to hold very consistent lap times from fast lap to the top 20 avg. I never feel like I am chasing the car at all. Always in control.

Also as you commented, I have played around with the wheel base and track width of the car and have found HUGE changes in the car by using those adjustments.
What spur is that!?
Old 12-03-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Sweep 32's are the tracks spec tire for 17.5. I don't have a choice.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EDWARD2003
1)Run a softer front spring than the rear.
2)Move your front shock position in one hole on the shock tower.
3)Reduce front camber.
Will do and if all fails there will be lots of ca on the side wall of my fronts! Can't wait for the release of the alloy Exo6.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Tech Adept

[QUOTE=racer x 1;14290967]
Originally Posted by RollingChicane2

What spur is that!?
It is a 76T (64P) Kimbrough spur and a 51T pinion

Last edited by RollingChicane2; 12-03-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc_square24
Just trying to help you out here, you can choose to do the above but it still doesn't solve your problem. Have you checked your build as follows?

1. After this step of installing just the lower arms, are they free? From my experience when building the kit, the 0.5mm spacers BB9 of the hinge pins caused binding as they were a bit too thick. I ended up using shims instead for reducing to 0.3-0.4mm.

2. Now moving onto the hubs, is the suspension moving freely after this step? There is a chance for hubs to bind here.

3. According to your description the problem may be somewhere in this step above. Before you assemble all the parts together here, lets break it down into smaller steps and checks.

3.1 With BC30 & BC16 assembled, is BC6 smooth if you pop them together?

3.2 Now pop the above assembly into the ball end on the arm (BB4 of step 14). Make sure you are using BB15 here as BB6 should not cause tightness if you follow the overall length of 27mm (ball links usually bind if the turnbuckle rod is screwed too far into the cup, which should not be the case here).

3.3 Now on the other hand, install only the rod BC28 itself (with 2x BC31) onto the gearbox. The rod shall first be centered over the gearbox by adjusting BC31, then adjust BC4 until it swings freely.

3.4 Now if everything checks out, connecting the turnbuckles to the rod by tightening BC30 should not cause any binding over the whole rear suspension assembly without shocks attached.

For step 19 in the manual, the indication of 1mm extension of the rod with BC30 should not be critical here, in general you want the BC6 turnbuckles to be at right angles (90degrees) with the roll bar when assembled.

Hope this helps

Hi Rc_square24,

Thank you for posting the pictures (although they are pretty blur and hard to see) and explained your tuning experience. As im a noob in building my Evo6 all by myself from scratch, I bound to have make some mistakes.

I reamed my 4 suspension arms during the earlier stage was because they were very stiff. However, as I installed into my 4 suspensions (together with the anti roll bar in my kit), the suspension arms seems quite ok and smooth, although I have not installed my electronic parts into it and will try running the car. And yes that I have completed building my very first car kit (though I'm not sure if they can run well). I guess I have to try running my Evo6 once I have installed my electronic parts. Most likely, I may resulted in trial and error. I will also like to seek you guys' advices here if I have problem running it and thanks in advance.

Once again, thank you all for the advices and update you all again. :-)
Old 12-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Default Evo6 rear left wheel / rear differential gear problem

Hi Guys,

It's me, the newbie who is building his first car here again. I have completed building the Evo6 car kit. However, when I just installed a motor (together with other electronics) to test whether the wheels are running properly, I noticed that the rear left wheel (where the differential gear is) just moved slightly, while the other 3 wheels moved as per normal. I double checked the setup manual on the rear differential gear and also took out the built differential gear, the two hubs of the differential gear works as per normal and the spinning speed of the two metal hubs/cups are proportional. I just can't figure out why. Can anyone please advise me as it is very urgent for me now. Thank you guys in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.