Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran the Exo6 for the first time on the weekend. Oh my was it stunningly fast and super easay to drive! On the straight-away I was left behind by a 5.5T (I was running 13.5T boosted) but on the in-field I was accelerating out of those corners so quickly I was actually making up time on my mate's 5.5T BD7.

Stupidly happy with the car and makes it even sweeter that my girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday

Now ... time to find the alum C hubs, lightweight spool and lower-gear boxes! (Was there something about alum uppers coming too, MikeR?)
Old 09-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Springs

What's everyone using for springs? I'm using hpi silvers on medium grip asphalt.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

HPI Silvers seem to always be a good starting point.

I would add HPI Blues to your pit box for tuning.

I am currently running SMJ Silver (Long) all-around for a starting asphalt setups.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

VBC Red - At Tamiya
Old 09-06-2016, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Ran the Exo6 for the first time on the weekend. Oh my was it stunningly fast and super easay to drive! On the straight-away I was left behind by a 5.5T (I was running 13.5T boosted) but on the in-field I was accelerating out of those corners so quickly I was actually making up time on my mate's 5.5T BD7.

Stupidly happy with the car and makes it even sweeter that my girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday

Now ... time to find the alum C hubs, lightweight spool and lower-gear boxes! (Was there something about alum uppers coming too, MikeR?)

Good luck on those lower gearboxes. They are gone everywhere.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey all, i've got a problem with my new lightweight solid axle from Exotek, it's outer diameter is 12,25mm but the inner diameter of the Gear is 12,1mm so i have to sand the Gears inner diameter. Is this common or just with my Solidaxle?

Edit: Another problem, the axle is to wide. It stuck with the diff housing. Same with a different diff housing.

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-achse.jpg  

Last edited by Brinni; 09-06-2016 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Good luck on those lower gearboxes. They are gone everywhere.
Found some ... opened but not used for 65 USD each. Forget that! For the pair of them I can buy I donno how many of the carbon plastic sets.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by B. Santos
HPI Silvers seem to always be a good starting point.

I would add HPI Blues to your pit box for tuning.

I am currently running SMJ Silver (Long) all-around for a starting asphalt setups.
Are you talking about these?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-rac...hpi6542/p31204
Old 09-06-2016, 11:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi. Just ordered a Evo06MS (my first Tamiya touring car). Does it take any spur gear, or what have you been using? I noticed that the stock spur is "06 module" (Tamiya's own standard?), so I assume it must be changed to match with 48 or 64 pinions. Biggest 06 pinion I found was 29T, which is way too small!
Old 09-06-2016, 11:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rudie
Hi. Just ordered a Evo06MS (my first Tamiya touring car). Does it take any spur gear, or what have you been using? I noticed that the stock spur is "06 module" (Tamiya's own standard?), so I assume it must be changed to match with 48 or 64 pinions. Biggest 06 pinion I found was 29T, which is way too small!
Yeah you will need to switch over. I have been using 64 pitch, however the spur and pinion provider I was using is now out of business so I am taking this opportunity to switch over to 48 pitch. MikeR mentioned to me ideal spur gear would be 55T for 48P. This fits into the exotek exo 6 if you ever decide to convert. Not sure if you really need to using the MS version of the car.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brinni
Hey all, i've got a problem with my new lightweight solid axle from Exotek, it's outer diameter is 12,25mm but the inner diameter of the Gear is 12,1mm so i have to sand the Gears inner diameter. Is this common or just with my Solidaxle?

Edit: Another problem, the axle is to wide. It stuck with the diff housing. Same with a different diff housing.

Greetings
Hmm... that almost looks like the prototype piece. I wonder if the factory slipped that piece into our production by mistake.

My revised off the shelf part fits fine.
Please email me and we'll get that straightened out
Old 09-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester
Well, it sounds like another opportunity for "Mr. Exotek" to come up with another brilliant conversion for this chassis. I'm sure he has designs on the table already. Big question always is "can I sell enough of them for it to be profitable"? As we can see he's an expert at looking at where there is an opportunity to make improvements on current design and making it better. Latest examples: new aluminum C hubs, light weight spool and out drives. Maybe if we all collectively continue to bitch a lot about the the poor fit of the plastic bulkheads he'll reveal to us whether or not he can produce them at a cost the market would be willing to spend for them. He listened to us complain about the sloppy C hubs and he came up with a wonderful solution. If you haven't had a chance to see them yet, check them out on the Exotek website. I was fortunate enough to grab a set of them before the first batch sold out and I ran them yesterday. They fit great and for me they make steering more direct without all of the wobbly slop you find in the factory C Hubs, not to mention they look really nice finished in black.
It's definitely on the drawing board as we speak but VERY slow going
I'm trying to check off a bunch of boxes for the design so wrapping this up is taking longer than I hoped... eta Jan?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
I'm trying to check off a bunch of boxes for the design so wrapping this up is taking longer than I hoped... eta Jan?
Better late than never! Will the design be similar to the Evo 6 bulkheads or the Evo 5 bulkheads?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeR
Eagerly awaiting! So hopefully when they're out, you'll have stock of those c hubs again and the ultralight spool??
And I think I'll just buy from the website than wait for my local shop (rcmart) to get stock of them.

Cheers Mike!
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

This is no disrespect to Exotek, Mike, or anyone using the Exo conversion, but I kind of wish there was a different thread for the Exo kit. I have read comments in this board suggesting the stock Tamiya Evo.6 is not worthy without the Exo conversion. I had the original kit, and now own the MS. They perform very well for me, and I have had very little issues. So I guess what I'm saying is: I wish people would stop telling every new Evo.6 owner that there car is crap without an additional $150 conversion. I have no plans to convert my MS, mainly for TCS reasons, but I can see the benefit in converting the Evo.6 to a Evo 5 (motor and battery swapped of course), as that was a great chassis.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.