R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree29Likes

Old 09-04-2016, 08:37 PM   #2206
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ran the Exo6 for the first time on the weekend. Oh my was it stunningly fast and super easay to drive! On the straight-away I was left behind by a 5.5T (I was running 13.5T boosted) but on the in-field I was accelerating out of those corners so quickly I was actually making up time on my mate's 5.5T BD7.

Stupidly happy with the car and makes it even sweeter that my girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday

Now ... time to find the alum C hubs, lightweight spool and lower-gear boxes! (Was there something about alum uppers coming too, MikeR?)
SCT - Tekno SCT410 / Losi 22SCT 2.0
WagwanBumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:19 PM   #2207
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Springs

What's everyone using for springs? I'm using hpi silvers on medium grip asphalt.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #2208
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

HPI Silvers seem to always be a good starting point.

I would add HPI Blues to your pit box for tuning.

I am currently running SMJ Silver (Long) all-around for a starting asphalt setups.
B. Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:52 AM   #2209
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

VBC Red - At Tamiya
Tyree Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:43 AM   #2210
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagwanBumba View Post
Ran the Exo6 for the first time on the weekend. Oh my was it stunningly fast and super easay to drive! On the straight-away I was left behind by a 5.5T (I was running 13.5T boosted) but on the in-field I was accelerating out of those corners so quickly I was actually making up time on my mate's 5.5T BD7.

Stupidly happy with the car and makes it even sweeter that my girlfriend bought it for me for my birthday

Now ... time to find the alum C hubs, lightweight spool and lower-gear boxes! (Was there something about alum uppers coming too, MikeR?)

Good luck on those lower gearboxes. They are gone everywhere.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 AM   #2211
Tech Initiate

Hey all, i've got a problem with my new lightweight solid axle from Exotek, it's outer diameter is 12,25mm but the inner diameter of the Gear is 12,1mm so i have to sand the Gears inner diameter. Is this common or just with my Solidaxle?

Edit: Another problem, the axle is to wide. It stuck with the diff housing. Same with a different diff housing.

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB Evo 6-achse.jpg  

Last edited by Brinni; 09-06-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Brinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:44 AM   #2212
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Good luck on those lower gearboxes. They are gone everywhere.
Found some ... opened but not used for 65 USD each. Forget that! For the pair of them I can buy I donno how many of the carbon plastic sets.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:08 AM   #2213
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Santos View Post
HPI Silvers seem to always be a good starting point.

I would add HPI Blues to your pit box for tuning.

I am currently running SMJ Silver (Long) all-around for a starting asphalt setups.
Are you talking about these?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hpi-rac...hpi6542/p31204
Old 09-06-2016, 12:06 PM   #2214
Tech Rookie

Hi. Just ordered a Evo06MS (my first Tamiya touring car). Does it take any spur gear, or what have you been using? I noticed that the stock spur is "06 module" (Tamiya's own standard?), so I assume it must be changed to match with 48 or 64 pinions. Biggest 06 pinion I found was 29T, which is way too small!
Rudie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #2215
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudie View Post
Hi. Just ordered a Evo06MS (my first Tamiya touring car). Does it take any spur gear, or what have you been using? I noticed that the stock spur is "06 module" (Tamiya's own standard?), so I assume it must be changed to match with 48 or 64 pinions. Biggest 06 pinion I found was 29T, which is way too small!
Yeah you will need to switch over. I have been using 64 pitch, however the spur and pinion provider I was using is now out of business so I am taking this opportunity to switch over to 48 pitch. MikeR mentioned to me ideal spur gear would be 55T for 48P. This fits into the exotek exo 6 if you ever decide to convert. Not sure if you really need to using the MS version of the car.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 PM   #2216
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinni View Post
Hey all, i've got a problem with my new lightweight solid axle from Exotek, it's outer diameter is 12,25mm but the inner diameter of the Gear is 12,1mm so i have to sand the Gears inner diameter. Is this common or just with my Solidaxle?

Edit: Another problem, the axle is to wide. It stuck with the diff housing. Same with a different diff housing.

Greetings
Hmm... that almost looks like the prototype piece. I wonder if the factory slipped that piece into our production by mistake.

My revised off the shelf part fits fine.
Please email me and we'll get that straightened out

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #2217
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
Well, it sounds like another opportunity for "Mr. Exotek" to come up with another brilliant conversion for this chassis. I'm sure he has designs on the table already. Big question always is "can I sell enough of them for it to be profitable"? As we can see he's an expert at looking at where there is an opportunity to make improvements on current design and making it better. Latest examples: new aluminum C hubs, light weight spool and out drives. Maybe if we all collectively continue to bitch a lot about the the poor fit of the plastic bulkheads he'll reveal to us whether or not he can produce them at a cost the market would be willing to spend for them. He listened to us complain about the sloppy C hubs and he came up with a wonderful solution. If you haven't had a chance to see them yet, check them out on the Exotek website. I was fortunate enough to grab a set of them before the first batch sold out and I ran them yesterday. They fit great and for me they make steering more direct without all of the wobbly slop you find in the factory C Hubs, not to mention they look really nice finished in black.
It's definitely on the drawing board as we speak but VERY slow going
I'm trying to check off a bunch of boxes for the design so wrapping this up is taking longer than I hoped... eta Jan?

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #2218
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I'm trying to check off a bunch of boxes for the design so wrapping this up is taking longer than I hoped... eta Jan?
Better late than never! Will the design be similar to the Evo 6 bulkheads or the Evo 5 bulkheads?
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #2219
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Eagerly awaiting! So hopefully when they're out, you'll have stock of those c hubs again and the ultralight spool??
And I think I'll just buy from the website than wait for my local shop (rcmart) to get stock of them.

Cheers Mike!
Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #2220
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This is no disrespect to Exotek, Mike, or anyone using the Exo conversion, but I kind of wish there was a different thread for the Exo kit. I have read comments in this board suggesting the stock Tamiya Evo.6 is not worthy without the Exo conversion. I had the original kit, and now own the MS. They perform very well for me, and I have had very little issues. So I guess what I'm saying is: I wish people would stop telling every new Evo.6 owner that there car is crap without an additional $150 conversion. I have no plans to convert my MS, mainly for TCS reasons, but I can see the benefit in converting the Evo.6 to a Evo 5 (motor and battery swapped of course), as that was a great chassis.
TamiyaMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote