Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

What kinda bodies are they using that might cause problems.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
Is it pretty easy to set up different profiles to different comparable brushed motors? Like if I want a setting colse to 19t?
none of the profiles limit the overall power of the motor. they just have different preset profiles for certain things. 4 of the 5 brushless profiles can be fully reprogramed if you want and the brushed profile is also fully programable.
i have a 5.5 system in my bk2 buggy and trust me it has more power than i could ever use. all i do to limit power is back down my throttle endpoint on my radio. i have mine set at 70% and it still feels a little more powerful than a 19 turn.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

The adjustability on the GTB is easy. Switching between brushed and brushless is easy, just make sure everything is disconnected before trying the switch on the ESC. Ive ran the GTB in stock brushed, and i feel it has the same if not more power than the GTX. I know the GTB has a lower on power resistance than the GTX! Its the best speed controller available IMHO, and thats not just from a brushless standpoint. A little heavier than most brushed esc, but if you want the possibility of brushless, its the way to go. I couldnt be happier. Soldering three wires on a brushed motor takes a few extra hands, but is easily done. As soon as my TA05 arrives, the setup will be transplanted into the new car, also when I get a 415, ill be getting a second GTB ESC, and running the 5.5r in brushless.... yeahhaaa
Old 10-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

That wiring configuration makes me think that connectors between the ESC and motor would actually be a good idea. The three wires could be converged into one wire from a connector. The space problem and added risk of a connector coming loose are still considerations.
I ran connectors on both motor and battery years ago an never once had a connector come loose from the motor wires but I did have one come loose from the battery on occasion (battery escaping from the battery tray in an old RC10)
Old 10-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

A connector is a great idea for the club racer or the non racer, but personally ive taken off all connectors on motors. Its not THAT hard to connect the three wires to the neg terminal. Admittedly, i do remember how easy it used to be to swap out motors when i was set up with deans connectors on everything, but since ive started to get 'the best of everything' like batts and motors, connectors arent a consideration. Anyway to enhance the punch... ill do it

Just thought id mention my next project for a GTB.... a 1980's Sand scorcher . And yes the Scorcher is worth it! lol Ill probably go with a 4300, so i dont strip the gearbox
Old 10-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Man! a Sand Scorcher!?! Those had waterproof everything! Even the motor was in a waterproof case (probably got pretty hot...)
I still use connectors on the battery (sermos) and I can't tell any difference in punch. Sometimes, they are the only part of the power system that is still cool after a run.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

my motor wires are set like this,,, for brushed i have male bullet connectors similar to those on the mamba ,, then i take 2 of the wires and solder them to one and then that goes to the negative terminal on the motor,,,, and the positive is hard wired to the battery... swithing from BL to brushed is simple and very fast,,, the only thing that takes time is setting the esc...

question,,, i have been racing stock truck with my gtb esc,,, i have not done anything to the default settings for brushed motor.. what options do i have,,, and can i make the motor faster with this esc,,,, faster than the stock/default setting will allow..
the track is about 40x60 small tight with atleast one straight... supercross style........... socal raceway

not totally understanding drive freq and min drive,, the only thing i got is that min drive should be highest for stock motors 12% but the drive freq has got me confused..

Last edited by jaejw1; 10-17-2005 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

kmorast Jsaves how did it compare to your brushed motors?
Now I did not run a mod brushed that day, but it felt really good to me.
I put it on the 4th profile which is 40% brakes and 40% drag brake. It felt like brushed all the way, in fact it was probably to much brake and drag brake. You can also adjust each of the profiles to a custom. I did under gear but I had no problems with speed. It has nice torque and top end. It was really fun just going out and practicing without a worry about having to replace or rebuild my 8 turn.
God Bless
Old 10-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default gtb with sensorless motor ?

Hi,

Anyone knows if Novak GTB can work with sensorless motors (like LMT with 3 wire config) ?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Nope, it only works the other way around. You can use a sensorless ESC with a sensored motor. Of course you won't get the advantages of sensored then.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys,

I wonder...Is it ok to use the 5.5 Novak without the power capacitor on speedo when running with 4 cells?

I am using the combo in my 1/12th scale car and I am thinking to take the capacitor off. Any experience about this issue?

regards,
Vesa
Old 10-19-2005, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vesa
Hi guys,

I wonder...Is it ok to use the 5.5 Novak without the power capacitor on speedo when running with 4 cells?

I am using the combo in my 1/12th scale car and I am thinking to take the capacitor off. Any experience about this issue?

regards,
Vesa
NO. You can take the fan off for 1/12 (you kinda have to with the slammed bodies). But always leave the cap on.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

One of my BMI2's with the GTB 5.5

Old 10-22-2005, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default GTB 6.5 w/ 4 cells

Got to run my GTB 6.5 system today at a club race. I have to say with 4 cells I had no problems in a 1/10 TC racing in the 19T mod class.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

This has probably already been asked, but I did a search and only found little bits and pieces. Im getting a new esc for brushed motors, and I was looking into the gtx when I remembered that the GTB has lower resistance with brushed motors. Is there any reason that I should get the GTX over the GTB? I race off road and the size difference shouldnt be a problem, people run 7.1's and tekins. Does the GTB have all of the same features as the GTX when run with brushed motors? I think I read that it doesnt have the premade profiles, but it has the adjustable profile. Can the premade profiles of the GTX be replicated? I run 2wd buggy and I run a 14 turn, it wouldnt be necessary to run the fan, would it? Instead of running the three wires all the way to the negative on the motor, could you splice one wire and solder the other two onto it? I dont think that I could fit three wires on a v2, and it probably adds a bit of weight. Anything else that would point me in either direction? There is a slight chance that I may run brushless in the future, but Id like to look at this from a brushed point of view right now.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.