New Novak Brusless System

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Novak Brusless System

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

OK small issue, I installed my new GTB in my car last night with a brushed motor, switched it to brushed mode and when I tried to setup the GTB it just wouldn't work properly, after going through the setup procedure the motor would just run continuously (forward) not at full revs though, I tried resetting it multiple times but just wouldn't set up properly.

Any thoughts people??

I have a 3PK btw, trim centred and EPA & ATL at 100%
Old 10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Tower has 'em in blue, black and purple, but no pictures, and only purple in stock. Make sure you don't get the one for the HV motors.

Velociti Motor Sleeve
Damn I can't wait to get my lathe, I'm sure I can whip up some pimpin heatsink/sleeves with fan mounts
Old 10-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fathead
Damn I can't wait to get my lathe, I'm sure I can whip up some pimpin heatsink/sleeves with fan mounts
You might want to pick up a mill, too. :-D
Old 10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

You might want to pick up a mill, too. :-D
The lathe I'm picking up has a milling attachment of sorts, well good enough to cut some fins
Old 10-04-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

FH- A very common issue.

Whats happening is that ANYTIME you do the One TOuch Setup, the ESC reverts to factory default everything. Meaning it goes to profile one, brushless mode.

To switch to Brushed mode, you have to do the switching procedure AFTER you do the one touch setup.

After that you should be fine. This happens a lot. Its explained in the manual, but not clear enough evidently. THis comes up often.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Charlie
FH- A very common issue.

Whats happening is that ANYTIME you do the One TOuch Setup, the ESC reverts to factory default everything. Meaning it goes to profile one, brushless mode.

To switch to Brushed mode, you have to do the switching procedure AFTER you do the one touch setup.

After that you should be fine. This happens a lot. Its explained in the manual, but not clear enough evidently. THis comes up often.
Cheers Charlie

I read and reread the instructions and saw that it reverted to profile 1 when you did the setup, but I didn't realise it would also switch from brushed (profile 6) to brushless mode as well.
All is well though, I managed to sort it myself last night just wondered if anyone had the same problem and the cause of it so as not to do it again.

Anyway thanks again Charlie.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

I got a look at the new heatsink from Novak last night. It replaces the ugly purple "ring" on the motors with a new one that's got a heatsink built into it. So, it's more like a part of the motor than something that just clips on to the outside. It also comes with thermal paste to make sure you get the most heat transfer possible. I'm gonna get a black one, purple isn't my thing.

Has anybody tried polishing the can of their brushless motors? I saw that this guy did it, and thought I might give it a try. The motor would look pretty bling polished with the black heatsink. I bet it's worth 3,000 RPM at least!
here it is , Im going to run it this weekend

Old 10-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Old 10-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

There's a couple of guys in our area that's been testing/comparing the 13.5 against stock motors in the offroad & onroad arenas with great success. I ran one on one of our local offroad tracks for 20min w/o any fade and was still clearing back 2 back triples. Awesome!!! We're finding that these motors are faster than the current crop of stock motors but are lacking quite a bit on the torque side. They're very consistent throughout a whole run and the hottest it's has ever come off the track (onroad) is a measly 127*!! We're thinking of just starting a new 8-minute 13.5 Brushless class to accomodate the new platform.
Very neat product so far ...
Old 10-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

I should be getting my 13.5 in a few days, cant wait to try it out.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

MarcosJ:

Thanks for posting that pic. So that replaces the center purple section. Looks good.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Regular

Charlie, Im sending you an email - didn't realise the pics were quite that big though - sorry if it takes a while.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Tech Master

Hi Charlie,

I don't know anyone has asked about this, but what the heck....

I would like to know whether Novak is working on a pure Brushless with forward only ESC? I figured that, that could make the ESC smaller than the GTB. Cause ironically, the GTB is the biggest modern day ESC I've own to date (Not including the Novak Tempest though )
Old 10-06-2006, 08:14 AM
The Evicerator

Actually to have the GTB run brushed motors makes it no larger than it needs to be for brushless operation.

In a brushless system the ESC is generally doing a lot more work than a standard brushed ESC does so it needs to be larger than brushed ESCs to handle the stresses acompanying this larger work load.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Fried SuperSport 5800?

I was outside drifting today. I was on about the third pack when I decided to show my friends how fast my RC can go on rubber wheels. I changed the SuperSport to Mode 1 and slapped on some rubber wheels. A few minutes into it, the motor just stopped dead cold. The esc was HOT. It did smell like an electrical burn, but there was no smoke. Did I fry it? Is there some special way to reset it after it has cooled down? I was within the recommended final drive ratio when this happened plus ut was mid-40s. This esc shouldn't have gotten fried.

The system isn't even a year old, including how long it was owned by the previous owner. Does the warranty period transfer over to me?

If it is fried, how much will it cost to fix it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.