Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1131Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 02:17 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OMG.....I am an idiot. So I a working from home today. The wife is in the city and the little man is stuck in traffic coming home from camp. Figured I would get in a pack or two. My car packs are down stairs so I grabbed one of my plane plane packs which I have a lot of but only a couple 2S packs. I had forgotten that I had bought two new 2S packs and had not reversed the Deans connector......Yup....big shot of fire and smoke......Dang it......

I just ordered a Hobby Wing Justock as a replacement but boy oh boy and I ticked right now.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-28-2017, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LJH
OMG.....I am an idiot. So I a working from home today. The wife is in the city and the little man is stuck in traffic coming home from camp. Figured I would get in a pack or two. My car packs are down stairs so I grabbed one of my plane plane packs which I have a lot of but only a couple 2S packs. I had forgotten that I had bought two new 2S packs and had not reversed the Deans connector......Yup....big shot of fire and smoke......Dang it......

I just ordered a Hobby Wing Justock as a replacement but boy oh boy and I ticked right now.

Cheers,
Jim
We have all done that many times.

If it's the Tamiya TBLE-02S you can fix it! Open up the case and you will see a 1/4" copper circuit on the board that's burnt. Make a jumper from one end to the other and you're back in business
Old 06-28-2017, 05:40 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
We have all done that many times.

If it's the Tamiya TBLE-02S you can fix it! Open up the case and you will see a 1/4" copper circuit on the board that's burnt. Make a jumper from one end to the other and you're back in business
Yea, I tend to do it every 4-5 years and it always ticks me off. 25 years ago I started using Deans and never knew I had my Deans reversed till packs started coming with T plugs.

Good info on the Tamiya ESC, unfortunately it was a old Novak Havoc Pro ESC which I liked. I took it apart and fixing it is well above my pay grade.

Bought the Justock from Amazon (I know, I know) so it will be here on Friday and it was a few buck cheaper then any online hobby shop.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Tech Initiate

You are lucky that only the battery not other things on fire too...I always colour my wires so it can remind me the polarity
Old 06-29-2017, 12:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Reverse polarity on Novaks is hit and miss.. the original GTB would burn the capacitor.. so all you would need is to change it. Later ESC like the Havoc ..transistors are burned instantly.

Hobbywings I hear burn the capacitors too.. which is the way it should be..

They actually should all have protection from reverse polarity, period
Old 06-29-2017, 05:36 AM
LJH
Tech Master

The wires are color coded, I was just an idiot and did not look at them. I bought these packs back in December and then the ski season started and then I broke my Tibia/Fibula (Had a Tibial nail put in etc) in early March so I had not been flying till just a couple weeks ago and I only fly 2 cell in competition which I have done none of this season.....It was a simple fact that I just was not paying attention.

I took the ESC apart and and I took out two really flat things on the board that look like mosfets but I am not sure what they are. I am pretty good at soldering but the way the board is constructed there is no way I can fix it.

You would think these guys would offer polarity protection as it is easy to do but then again they make money off off idiots who plug stuff in backwards.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Oh...sorry to hear that but that's way to get new parts and toys to play with!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Finally able to post my car's pic...I built my TT02 based on the link below, very useful and informative, really appreciate the author!
Tamiya TT02 guide, Mods, tuning and tips for club racing | The RC Racer

I used 3x1mm to move the servo forward so that left and right turn can be balance. I also replaced the suspension mount to carbon, feels very good

The stock slick tires are not good on track...will replace them soon
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-imag0751.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

The stock slicks work really well on a med to hot temp track with sauce....you gotta sauce like a boss to make them work well.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default need a set of stock shocks

I got a package deal from a guy looking to clear out his RC closet. One nugget was a TT02 (mostly complete) that I plan on giving to my nephew.

The missing parts have been purchased to complete the build, but it is still missing the dampers. If anyone has upgraded their TT02 and has a serviceable/new spare set laying around that they are willing to part with for a reasonable price, please send me a PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM
LJH
Tech Master

She runs again, last night I soldered up the Justock but had a couple issues, first one was the car was running in reverse and I could not get the programmer to switch rotation, I then tried flipping two wires on the motor which caused some serious pulsing. I have 20+ years of running BL but only in aircraft where sensored motors are very rare...I learned something new :-). I ended up flipping the diffs and all is good. I then had a bit of a learning curve programming the throttle but finally figured it out and all is good.

I will hit the tennis courts tonight to burn some packs.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-06-2017, 06:12 PM
LJH
Tech Master

I just ran two packs through the TT02 and I really like how smooth the Justock ESC is... definitely more linear than the old the Novak so that is a plus after my wee debacle.

Other updates are that the clicking is gone and when I pulled the diffs to reverse them I took a look at the front one with the 100K diff fluid and it was a just slightly damp on the outside, on one side, so I am happy with that.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by LJH
I just ran two packs through the TT02 and I really like how smooth the Justock ESC is... definitely more linear than the old the Novak so that is a plus after my wee debacle.

Other updates are that the clicking is gone and when I pulled the diffs to reverse them I took a look at the front one with the 100K diff fluid and it was a just slightly damp on the outside, on one side, so I am happy with that.

Cheers,
Jim
Good to see your TT02 is back in shape
Btw front 100K, will it leak? I am using ultra high viscosity grease from 3Racing....guess around 100K too. Feels OK and won't leak
Old 07-07-2017, 07:15 AM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MajorRex
Good to see your TT02 is back in shape
Btw front 100K, will it leak? I am using ultra high viscosity grease from 3Racing....guess around 100K too. Feels OK and won't leak
The plastic on one side is slightly darker, radiating about 3MM out from the opening, so it is slightly damp but not what I would call leaking......maybe controlled seepage . I can live with that after roughly 20 something full packs (5+ hours of run time).

One thing I forgot to mention is that the I seem to be developing some decent play on the rear end of the driveshaft. I just noticed it last night and I am not sure if it is the pin that engages in the spur on the high speed gear set or what, I am betting I am seeing 30* of rotation from one direction to the other. If I have time over the weekend I will pull it apart and check it out. Actually now that I am writing about it I wonder if I actually have the diff shimmed on the wrong side since I flipped the diff?

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Slow afternoon here so I took apart the back of the car. The lash is coming from the diff pinion gear. I would think that there is a lot of material to "key" the gear on the shaft but are these known to be wear items?

Cheers,
Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.