Like Tree83Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM
LJH
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AMitchell05 View Post
I was told of a gearing mod that they have for the tt02. The 54500 High speed gear set. Does anyone know if that will fit on a tt01e as well?
A quick Google search says it will.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 04-20-2018, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thank you, everything I've looked at said tt02 only and was told it wouldn't work but the guy wasn't 100% sure. just double checking
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

The TT-02 high speed gear set will fit with the use of some alternative shims/spacers - HOWEVER the TT-02 gearing is very different, and the "fast spur" for a TT-02 is larger than the largest TT-01 spur so you will actually go a lot slower unless you source some special 0.6mod spur gears or try to get everything to line up with 48 or 64 pitch gears instead (not easy considering the TT-01 has fixed positions for the motor).

The 55 Spur with a 28 pinion in the TT-01 gives a ratio of around 5:1.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
The TT-02 high speed gear set will fit with the use of some alternative shims/spacers - HOWEVER the TT-02 gearing is very different, and the "fast spur" for a TT-02 is larger than the largest TT-01 spur so you will actually go a lot slower unless you source some special 0.6mod spur gears or try to get everything to line up with 48 or 64 pitch gears instead (not easy considering the TT-01 has fixed positions for the motor).

The 55 Spur with a 28 pinion in the TT-01 gives a ratio of around 5:1.
My plan is actually to switch over to the 48 or even 64p gears and use an aftermarket motor plate anyway so that wont be to bad if it only requires a few shims. Thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 10:50 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just have a quick question hoping someone here might have an answer . I'm ordering the yeah racing titanium screw set to replace the stock screws in my TT02. I think these screws are all metric sizes but I have no idea about what hex driver size I will need for the installation. I checked the yeah racing website but it doesn't say anything about that. So my question is what size do I need? I have hex screw drivers in SAE sizes but not metric at the moment Thanks in advance.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

The screws are M3 / 3mm and they use a 2 mm hex driver
userst likes this.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Sway bars

Has anyone come up with a way to put sway bars on a type-s. I was thinking about ordering the ta05 sway bar kit and coming up with something.
​​​
Old 05-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I've had a few runs on my TT02 and I noticed that it has unequal on power steering. It tends to push to the left much more than it does to the right, it is especially noticeable when coming around a right hand sweeper. It can make nice tight left hand turns but pushes on the other direction.

I've checked the car on a setup station and everything seems to be more or less equal on both sides (considering the slop it has) including steering throw. Also the car seems to have equal left and right steering when doing low speed circles on the ground.

I also checked for tweak and the car seems pretty straight. It also tracks straight on the straigtaway.

When I punch the throttle with the car in my hand, it pulls down towards the right rear wheels. Could this be torque steer thats fighting the rotation of the car when it's steering to the right on power? (Car tries to lean to left but the motor torque is doing the opposite)

Haven't owned a shaft driven car in a long time, anything I can do with setup to alleviate this or do I have to adapt my driving to it?

Right now I have to go off throttle early before the turn to allow it to rotate.

My setup:
Base TT02
17.5T Motor
#10K Diffs F/R
Front Negative toe-in ~1degree
#500 Oil Dampers F/R with Tamiya Yellow Springs
6mm Rideheight
All else unadjustable.

Thanks!
I haven't seen anything like that with my TT02, but I'm running a brushed 540 motor on mine with everything fairly stock except for the fluid dampers and universals. It could just be the effects of torque steer. You may want to shim out any wheel slope you may have. I found my TT02 had a fair amountin the axles on a couple wheels for some reason. I could see that causing some extra torque steer from my experience on other cars with higher power motors and wheel slope. I'm very new to this all, but I think it's something to check.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 76jimmy View Post
Has anyone come up with a way to put sway bars on a type-s. I was thinking about ordering the ta05 sway bar kit and coming up with something.
​​​
Qatmix?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
Hey guys, looking for some advice here.

I've had a few runs on my TT02 and I noticed that it has unequal on power steering. It tends to push to the left much more than it does to the right, it is especially noticeable when coming around a right hand sweeper. It can make nice tight left hand turns but pushes on the other direction.

I've checked the car on a setup station and everything seems to be more or less equal on both sides (considering the slop it has) including steering throw. Also the car seems to have equal left and right steering when doing low speed circles on the ground.

I also checked for tweak and the car seems pretty straight. It also tracks straight on the straigtaway.

When I punch the throttle with the car in my hand, it pulls down towards the right rear wheels. Could this be torque steer thats fighting the rotation of the car when it's steering to the right on power? (Car tries to lean to left but the motor torque is doing the opposite)

Haven't owned a shaft driven car in a long time, anything I can do with setup to alleviate this or do I have to adapt my driving to it?

Right now I have to go off throttle early before the turn to allow it to rotate.

My setup:
Base TT02
17.5T Motor
#10K Diffs F/R
Front Negative toe-in ~1degree
#500 Oil Dampers F/R with Tamiya Yellow Springs
6mm Rideheight
All else unadjustable.

Thanks!
Check and shim the slip out of the rear hubs, as left out of the box thereís so much slip that the torque from a hotish motor exaggerates rear toe out under power. Also run a thinner weight whatever in the rear diff. Slightly confused youíre mentioning 10k, you know the kit diffs arenít intended to be used with fluid as theyíre not sealed? 3Racing do make a fluid diff though so apologies if you have that. I find the weak link on the steering is usually the kit servo saver so either try an aftermarket one or even easier glue up the kit one so itís solid and see if it helps. The TT02 isnít really affected by torque reversal so doubt itís that..
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mini35 View Post

Qatmix?
I haven't even seen a pic posted with sway bars. I'm just gonna order some stuff see what I come up with. Only thing I can't get my head around is how to mount the bars on the chassis.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 76jimmy View Post
I haven't even seen a pic posted with sway bars. I'm just gonna order some stuff see what I come up with. Only thing I can't get my head around is how to mount the bars on the chassis.
Looking at the TT02 rear (usingTT02S or similar TA05 arms with swaybar tabs), I'd make a carbon or similar plate to mount to the top of the rear bumper mounting points. Make sure to fabricate enough of the plate to go towards the rear differential as close as you can. You could fasten the swaybar underneath (so it's lower) like the old TA03R-S by making a groove in the plate for the swaybar to ride in and using small bolts, 2mm nut and wide washers. Not sure on the front yet.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's my old school TA03R-S to illustrate how the swaybars mount.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default TT02 sway bar mount

maybe model something along the lines of the 54651 upper arm mount bracket but extend it so it protrudes from the front or rear so you can slot it for a bar and then put a clamp on to hold a sway bar down.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks all for your input. I will come up with something. After looking at it a little it really needs to mount to the bulkhead somehow. I think I could make something up with socket screws and some keystock. A better option would be to recast a bulkhead with the bar holders, similar to a DB01.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service