Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1130Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thank you. It's rougher than I'd like it to be, but hey, I'm just an ameatur at writing this stuff.

That sounds like cheap, fun, racing. What do you guys do with the chassis afterwords? Sounds like a great way to get feeder cars for newbies :-)
Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Thank you. It's rougher than I'd like it to be, but hey, I'm just an ameatur at writing this stuff.

That sounds like cheap, fun, racing. What do you guys do with the chassis afterwords? Sounds like a great way to get feeder cars for newbies :-)
Exactly that pretty much. Our team car went into a free entry raffle. We serviced it then installed the kit speedo and motor, and put in some old (but new) 27AM radio and a servo so it was good to go. Then we gave all the young kids at our club who come with their parents a ticket. and picked one at random who got the car to get them into the hobby.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 AM
Tech Champion

The irony is that the TC class started with the Tamiya TA01 - a buggy chassis converted into a touring car.

Edit: I see that was covered in the article Read before you post
Old 09-25-2017, 06:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Did he really have to get so verbose to state the obvious? It's a budget tub car to putt around, not a serious racer. Tamiya never made any pretense of it.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The irony is that the TC class started with the Tamiya TA01 - a buggy chassis converted into a touring car.
And so the r/c car world goes round and round. I find it amusing that buggies becoming road cars, and road cars becoming buggies is seemingly a common thing. It's not just Tamiya.

Originally Posted by moistAF
Did he really have to get so verbose to state the obvious? It's a budget tub car to putt around, not a serious racer. Tamiya never made any pretense of it.
What makes it a budget? Why's it not a serious racer? How does any of Tamiya's marketing material indicate that any of that might not be the case? The sheer fact that there's a "upgraded" version of the buggy says something about what Tamiya thinks the buyer should think about the car.

Did you know where the car came from? With Tamiya models that starts to be very important. Knowing the root of cars, will tell you what parts might be compatible, and might give up upgrade paths.

Now those questions are facetious, the reason I go into that detail, is I wanted to cover the things I didn't know when I bought it. I knew it was budget, but ~why~ is it budget? What makes it cheap? What are it's failings? What traps are you getting yourself into?

Those are things that matter for ~most~ cars. For example on the TC4, the chassis strips screw holes easily, so you need to be ~careful~. The stock drive shafts are a liability, and I broke both of mine in the first day a the track. The servo saver, doesn't work, and should be disabled. The battery strap is adjusted by screw height, and you should start out with the battery forward. The axle drive pins are mechanical fuses, those should be retained as roll pins.

That sort of stuff, isn't usually compiled. Even here, there's a 2-300 page thread with that sort of information, but reading 3000 posts isn't something that's nice to suggest to someone.

I've got a couple other articles posted, you might want to try one or two of those. :-)

That said, when I get around to it, there's going to be a TC 7.1 and TC4 articles coming. You can expect just as thorough of an explanation there. Though, being higher quality cars, I suspect those articles will be a lot shorter, or will emphasize history more than how to deal with the car.
Old 09-28-2017, 09:10 AM
LJH
Tech Master

And so the r/c car world goes round and round. I find it amusing that buggies becoming road cars, and road cars becoming buggies is seemingly a common thing. It's not just Tamiya.

What makes it a budget? Why's it not a serious racer? How does any of Tamiya's marketing material indicate that any of that might not be the case? The sheer fact that there's a "upgraded" version of the buggy says something about what Tamiya thinks the buyer should think about the car.

Did you know where the car came from? With Tamiya models that starts to be very important. Knowing the root of cars, will tell you what parts might be compatible, and might give up upgrade paths.

Now those questions are facetious, the reason I go into that detail, is I wanted to cover the things I didn't know when I bought it. I knew it was budget, but ~why~ is it budget? What makes it cheap? What are it's failings? What traps are you getting yourself into?

Those are things that matter for ~most~ cars. For example on the TC4, the chassis strips screw holes easily, so you need to be ~careful~. The stock drive shafts are a liability, and I broke both of mine in the first day a the track. The servo saver, doesn't work, and should be disabled. The battery strap is adjusted by screw height, and you should start out with the battery forward. The axle drive pins are mechanical fuses, those should be retained as roll pins.

That sort of stuff, isn't usually compiled. Even here, there's a 2-300 page thread with that sort of information, but reading 3000 posts isn't something that's nice to suggest to someone.

I've got a couple other articles posted, you might want to try one or two of those. :-)

That said, when I get around to it, there's going to be a TC 7.1 and TC4 articles coming. You can expect just as thorough of an explanation there. Though, being higher quality cars, I suspect those articles will be a lot shorter, or will emphasize history more than how to deal with the car.

I think we all know why it is a budget chassis but with that said for a guy who just wants to have fun with it and has no intention of doing any serious racing it makes a lot of sense. I bought my regular TT02 for $70 shipped NIP, I spent about $50 bucks on what I thought were important upgrades, so for about $120 I have a super fun car which has proven to be bullet proof over 50 full packs (12+ hours of run time) on a Blinky 17.5T set-up. I have spent some time playing with shocks and springs and I have a car that runs great and seems to handle well on my makeshift track. I for one think that it offers a lot of bang for the buck.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

My 7-year old son wants to learn driving. He is already doing offroad on my old Losi XXX but he is really willing to progress. We have a great touring track very close to our place. My elder 11-year-old son and I have Sakura XI Sport which is a great cat but not the perfect car to begin with.

Hence my question L How durable/robust is an entry-level TT-02 like Porshe 911 RSR?
His driving will not be perfect first but he needs to learn!
Old 09-30-2017, 09:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by julieng
My 7-year old son wants to learn driving. He is already doing offroad on my old Losi XXX but he is really willing to progress. We have a great touring track very close to our place. My elder 11-year-old son and I have Sakura XI Sport which is a great cat but not the perfect car to begin with.

Hence my question L How durable/robust is an entry-level TT-02 like Porshe 911 RSR?
It's a pretty durable and forgiving car and parts are cheap and readily available.

I'm a big Porsche fan personally but for racing I'd avoid the RSR body. The kit wheels and tyres are uselsss on a track and no one makes good quality 26 and 30 mm tyres for racing. So you would need 24 mm and those will look silly under that body.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 PM
LJH
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Raman
It's a pretty durable and forgiving car and parts are cheap and readily available.

I'm a big Porsche fan personally but for racing I'd avoid the RSR body. The kit wheels and tyres are uselsss on a track and no one makes good quality 26 and 30 mm tyres for racing. So you would need 24 mm and those will look silly under that body.
If you are ok running 26MM wheels you can get 3MM offset wheels for the front and 9MM offset wheels for the rear. They fit great and it opens up your tire options.

I have found the TT02 to be very durable and as Raman said parts are easy to come by and cheap.

Cheers
Old 09-30-2017, 02:04 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

I would buy some aluminum steering knuckles if you're getting the basic TT02.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

And go for a Nissan GT-R Super GT body.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

Does regular 2S lipo size (not shorty) fit in a standard TT-02 using out of the box strap?

What about adding the bearings during the initial build?

Does the kit come with servo saver?

Last edited by julieng; 10-01-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Does regular 2S lipo size (not shorty) fit in a standard TT-02 using out of the box strap?

What about adding the bearings during the initial build?

Does the kit come with servo saver?
1. Standard LiPo fits. I drill two lower holes i battery post so that the bar sits snug on battery
2. Get bearings for sure
3. servo saver included is crap. Pick up a X-ray (best) kimborough, or Tamiya
Old 10-02-2017, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LJH
I think we all know why it is a budget chassis but with that said for a guy who just wants to have fun with it and has no intention of doing any serious racing it makes a lot of sense. *snip* I for one think that it offers a lot of bang for the buck.
"We" might know. But I can tell you that "I" didn't know when I was first getting into R/C.

The $100 for a TT02, that comes with a motor, ESC, and a Tamiya quality body?... that's a steal. Bang for the buck is high on these. :-)

"what makes it a cheap car" is something I did not cover in my article. I should do that, as I have a followup I need to do too. Part of it being "cheap" is also what makes it so durable.

Originally Posted by Raman
1. Standard LiPo fits. I drill two lower holes i battery post so that the bar sits snug on battery
2. Get bearings for sure
3. servo saver included is crap. Pick up a X-ray (best) kimborough, or Tamiya
I use some closed cell foam under my battery strap. The drilling idea is a good one, but is a permanant change to the battery posts.

Bearings for sure, but don't buy tamiyas. Get rubber sealed ones if you can, and don't spend more than $20 for the set.

The heavy duty tamiya servo saver is $9-10 on the usual websites. As long as you've got a strong servo, it's a good choice.

Last edited by Nerobro; 10-02-2017 at 08:56 AM. Reason: close is not closed.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:20 AM
Tech Adept

"We" might know. But I can tell you that "I" didn't know when I was first getting into R/C.

The $100 for a TT02, that comes with a motor, ESC, and a Tamiya quality body?... that's a steal. Bang for the buck is high on these. :-)

"what makes it a cheap car" is something I did not cover in my article. I should do that, as I have a followup I need to do too. Part of it being "cheap" is also what makes it so durable.

I use some close cell foam under my battery strap. The drilling idea is a good one, but is a permanant change to the battery posts.

Bearings for sure, but don't buy tamiyas. Get rubber sealed ones if you can, and don't spend more than $20 for the set.

The heavy duty tamiya servo saver is $9-10 on the usual websites. As long as you've got a strong servo, it's a good choice.
Thanks for this advice.
So I will chase baring + alu front knuckles.

My son has decided to go for LaFerrari.
He is 7 years old and is not going to do compete soon. However, I would imagine the disaster with my Sakura Xi Sport after 1-2 lap.

I also think onroad is great for him to learn compared to offroad as he will spend less time with the car bottom up + walking and can spend more time driving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.