Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by stocker
OK, understand.

I noticed something from my 05. The rear belt seems to be running to one side of the pulley. I am more concerned with part of the belt not on the centre pulley. See attached picture. What should I do?

Hi,

Don't worry, It's OK, mine is the same...

Ciao
Old 07-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

WOOO HOOO

OK, finally got my 05r together and wanted to what pinion should i run with the 13.5 and stock spur (asphalt)? I asked before but was going to try and tune someone else's car but decided not to and just run it and get use to the car. So far what i have is yellow springs front and white back. 0 camber all around. Diff/Diff but going to try one-way/diff for conering purposes. anything else i should be considering?
Old 07-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You may want to try out the front roll bars. I believe I have the yellow on mine right now. I don't think I've ever seen a TA05 without them. The front end really wakes up when you have them on. I believe we raced together a couple of times loriding. once at Tacoma and the first race over at four seasons. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big al
You may want to try out the front roll bars. I believe I have the yellow on mine right now. I don't think I've ever seen a TA05 without them. The front end really wakes up when you have them on. I believe we raced together a couple of times loriding. once at Tacoma and the first race over at four seasons. Good luck!
thanks, yeah the last car had a front stabalizer bar and it did work great but i just wanted to start with a base setup to tweak my car to my driving. The other car wasn't mine and was setup more for carpet. That shows the difference between people driving styles cause he didn't like the way it drove on asphalt with his carpet setup and i liked it alot (could use somemore work but....) it was good enough for temporary use. Now that i have mine, it's butt kicking time .

are you coming out for the freedom fair race on friday???? I don't remember your name, will most likely remember your face, and will definitely know your car cause it was one of those that was faster than mine
Old 07-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm gonna miss it again this year. I got some free tickets to the mariners game. I'll be around though. I'm usually pitting with Brian Shook.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big al
I'm gonna miss it again this year. I got some free tickets to the mariners game. I'll be around though. I'm usually pitting with Brian Shook.
that's who i'm pitting with this time around. maybe see ya some time later. maybe @ FWR on 1 sunday.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by loriding69
OK, finally got my 05r together and wanted to what pinion should i run with the 13.5 and stock spur (asphalt)? I asked before but was going to try and tune someone else's car but decided not to and just run it and get use to the car. So far what i have is yellow springs front and white back. 0 camber all around. Diff/Diff but going to try one-way/diff for conering purposes. anything else i should be considering?
The stock spur is 70T. If you are running a Novak 13.5 at FW, a good starting point is 5.0 FDR, then plan to add a tooth or two after checking the motor temp. So you'd start with a 32T pinion. If running at SIR you'd start with a couple of teeth fewer. Other brands of 13.5 are geared differently, typically you'd need a larger pinion for them.

The stock spur is "metric 48 pitch", so unless you already have a good selection of metric pinions you'll be better off tossing the stock gear and getting a true 48 pitch or 64 pitch gear. A Kimbrough 48P 72T spur might be a good choice; you could reach 4.63 FDR with a 35T pinion.

As for setup, a one-way will likely be too aggressive with the traction levels at FW. I'd start with a fairly tight front diff and a rear diff set as loose as you can without slipping. The one-way might work at SIR.

1.5 degrees negative camber all around is a good starting point.

If you are running the Freedom Fair race on Friday stop by if you need any help with the car. The best local source of advice on setting up the TA-05 is Jeff Kuney, who might also be there. (Dan Garber is great also, but he's been scarce lately.) I got my TA-05 starting setup from Jeff and was very happy to have it.

--mark
Old 07-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stocker
OK, understand.

I noticed something from my 05. The rear belt seems to be running to one side of the pulley. I am more concerned with part of the belt not on the centre pulley. See attached picture. What should I do?
Belts shift from side to side as you turn brake and accelerate anyways. Also, the belts are never perfectly true to begin with, and they will always pull to one-side no matter what...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Mark, I will look you up on friday. I also, will be at SIR thursday night for more adjustments and play time before friday.

Originally Posted by MarkBrown
The stock spur is 70T. If you are running a Novak 13.5 at FW, a good starting point is 5.0 FDR, then plan to add a tooth or two after checking the motor temp. So you'd start with a 32T pinion. If running at SIR you'd start with a couple of teeth fewer. Other brands of 13.5 are geared differently, typically you'd need a larger pinion for them.

The stock spur is "metric 48 pitch", so unless you already have a good selection of metric pinions you'll be better off tossing the stock gear and getting a true 48 pitch or 64 pitch gear. A Kimbrough 48P 72T spur might be a good choice; you could reach 4.63 FDR with a 35T pinion.

As for setup, a one-way will likely be too aggressive with the traction levels at FW. I'd start with a fairly tight front diff and a rear diff set as loose as you can without slipping. The one-way might work at SIR.

1.5 degrees negative camber all around is a good starting point.

If you are running the Freedom Fair race on Friday stop by if you need any help with the car. The best local source of advice on setting up the TA-05 is Jeff Kuney, who might also be there. (Dan Garber is great also, but he's been scarce lately.) I got my TA-05 starting setup from Jeff and was very happy to have it.

--mark
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Carpet setup

Does anybody know of a carpet setup for the TA05! I found a couple but more input is better. I'd like to run a spool using the 13.5.
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Foam or rubber? I am asuming rubber? Which version? Stock 05, 05R, IFS-R.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by maxepower
Does anybody know of a carpet setup for the TA05! I found a couple but more input is better. I'd like to run a spool using the 13.5.
Thanks in advance!
A one-way would be more appropriate on carpet unless you have to brake a lot.

White springs & 50wt in front
Blue springs and 40wt in rear
-1.5 camber all around
1 toe-out in front
2 or 3 toe-in at rear

And tune from there for your track.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation Carpet setup

Originally Posted by Core Creations
Foam or rubber? I am asuming rubber? Which version? Stock 05, 05R, IFS-R.
Stock 05, rubber tires, some hop ups using alum.. upgrades ! I'm willing to see all setups for carpet and then go from there!
Thanks
Old 07-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally Posted by AreCee
A one-way would be more appropriate on carpet unless you have to brake a lot.

White springs & 50wt in front
Blue springs and 40wt in rear
-1.5 camber all around
1 toe-out in front
2 or 3 toe-in at rear

And tune from there for your track.
This is close to my asphalt set-up?
Old 07-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

another question, and if you guys get tired of me asking then i will just ask more and more ......

I was told last night by one of the fast guys who runs mod to put sway bars front and rear. I put the front on (yellow) and it helped out alot but i was told to put the rear on as well (red) but didn't have the time. so what would putting the rear on do for the car? and also, on a small track like SIR do i want to run diff, spool, or 1-way? and for a larger track like FWR same question?

Guys thanks for all the help so far. Can't wait to get this car completely dialed in so i can be a top contender as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.