Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
let him suffer! thats what he gets for selling a great car and having no faith in it.... just kidding nexus
Now more then ever I plan to whoop Solara with a stock TA05 car I built the night before!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

LOL!!! So thats what the whole thing was about! Nexus, I wish you luck man. It'd be nice to ebay off all those cars...
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
After 2 weeks of testing...my car is quite good, just a little push at couple turns...might need to trim down the rear toe from -3 to -2.5, that will require a C block at the rear instead of D.
You mean after I gave you my setup your car is good.. LOL
Old 01-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by g12314
You mean after I gave you my setup your car is good.. LOL
Jimmy, care to share that setup with the class? I'm hoping to make it to Winthrop Harbor this weekend to "re-aquint" myself with the TA05 and try my new brushless system. I'm gonna need all the help I can get.

Chuck
Old 01-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Chuck,

I'll get one written up and share, no problem. I hope to make it Saturday to the track for some more testing. I need to repair the melted rear diff in the car to get it back in action.

Anyone else ever had that problem? Rear diff MELTED, and became a spool using a 13.5 brushless Lipo combo in my TA05R. I have weight added to the battery side to keep it on 4 wheels through the high speed sweepers, but I suspect that the rear was still lifting and spinning the diff under full power.

Jimmy
Old 01-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

Cool! Thanks, Jimmy. I'll try the set up I just put on the car first, but its always nice to have other ideas to try.

What's melting on your diffs, the pulley or the outdrives or both? If this is a common issue, maybe the aluminum outdrives would help.

Are you running any front arm sweep (inboard toe-out)? It seems that can cause the front end to dive real hard in some corners, causing the inside rear tire to pick up and your rear end to diff out. I've never melted a diff this way, though, but it killed corner speed when it happened.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Tech Elite

Usually a diff will melt if it is slipping. If the rear wheel lifted up then it would diff-out and the side in the air would just spin and the side touching wouldn't be going anywhere.

Sometimes the diff screw loosens up or the thrust bearing gets sticky to where the diff loosens.

We used to have that problem many years ago before slippers were used in 2wd off-road and we would set the diff just on the edge of loose.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Juan Valdez
Cool! Thanks, Jimmy. I'll try the set up I just put on the car first, but its always nice to have other ideas to try.

What's melting on your diffs, the pulley or the outdrives or both? If this is a common issue, maybe the aluminum outdrives would help.

Are you running any front arm sweep (inboard toe-out)? It seems that can cause the front end to dive real hard in some corners, causing the inside rear tire to pick up and your rear end to diff out. I've never melted a diff this way, though, but it killed corner speed when it happened.
I run B / A up front so 0.5 degree's of "sweep". It is the outdrives which melted, the pully is fine.

I check my diffs before each run, so I know when I started the run it was not slipping. The screw, spring, nut, and thrust bearing all came out fine. Car is now sporting a front one-way and Aluminum rear diff, so hopefully the issue was a one time event.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by potloodslijper
Hi,

I will be racing in the Belgian Tamiya EuroCup Series in 2008, with the TA-05. Which upgrades can you guys recommend? With that I mean upgrades that really do matter in lap times, such as a one-way, TRF-shocks,... is the Tamiya carbon reinforced bath tub chassis good?
I will be running on asphalt and carpet, with a Tamiya TZ/RZ 23T motor.
Hi,

I race with my TA-05 in the 23T class (only tamiya 23T motors are allowed).
I think the best upgrade in the 23T class, the front one-way. It gives you more steering, but it also gives you less brake, but it doesn't matter because in the 23T class the speed is low enough, and you don't have to brake.
We used to drive in very technical track, with a lot of curves and all the guys use front one-way (someone use center also, like me) and it is always faster than these spool or diff-diif. Coming out from a curve, the front one-way behave like a spool.
I don't suggest the CF chassis, beacuse on the carpet you may have problem with the statical electricity and it can easily effects radio problems.
TRF schocks is also good idea, beacuse it is smoother than the stock ones.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

anyone know where i can get a stiffer diff spring? i'm using the optional alloy diff and it slip at full lock. balls are new, the rings are new.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by over gear
anyone know where i can get a stiffer diff spring? i'm using the optional alloy diff and it slip at full lock. balls are new, the rings are new.
I had this problem 3 months ago. If you put 1 or 1,5mm shimm betwen the 2 diff bearings it will solve your problem. I had this problem with the high precision diff joints.
I use alloy diff joints since 2 months with 501X ball diff plate and with 16!! ceramic balls and my diff is very smooth and accurate.

The stiffer diff spring will not solve the problem, cause of the problem is that the pulley is too wide.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bviktor
I had this problem 3 months ago. If you put 1 or 1,5mm shimm betwen the 2 diff bearings it will solve your problem. I had this problem with the high precision diff joints.
I use alloy diff joints since 2 months with 501X ball diff plate and with 16!! ceramic balls and my diff is very smooth and accurate.

The stiffer diff spring will not solve the problem, cause of the problem is that the pulley is too wide.
thanks for the reply

I already have a 0.5mm shim per instruction... do u add another 1mm or 1.5mm shim in the diff?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by over gear
thanks for the reply

I already have a 0.5mm shim per instruction... do u add another 1mm or 1.5mm shim in the diff?
There are 2 ways to solve this problem. First is you add more shim between the beraings, but I tried an other I modified the pulley with a Dremel. There are a little collar around the ball's hole. I cut this collars and the center collar with dremel. I think the first way is much more easier.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Hey i know this was probably mentioned before, but i was wondering what's the max rear toe in for the TA05 and what sus. blocks would i need to get that?
thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Tech Initiate

The rear uprights have a built in 2 degree toe in. The stock rear suspension holder is an 1A which gives 0 additional degrees of rear toe in. The rear 1B will give 0.5 degree toe in. The 1C will give added 1 degree toe in. So you can get 2.5 degrees total rear toe in with the 1B rear suspension holder or 3 degrees with the 1C rear suspension holder. I haven't seen anyone run with more than 3 degrees rear toe in. Most of the time I see people run with 2 or 3 degrees rear toe in. They also have 1D and 1E blocks which can get you to 3.5 and 4 degrees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.