Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
I'm no set up expert(although the TA05 can make you feel like you are), but I'll take a shot at answering this for you.

1. The droop effects how much the car can roll in corners. If you have a lot of droop, the car will roll more. What effect does this have on handling... well in my experience, the more drop you have at one end of the car, the more traction you have at that end. So if you add more droop to the rear, you will have more traction at the rear. But too much droop, and you'll start rubbing your chassis at the sides as you corner. Up front, with the TA05, you generally keep the droop less than what you have in the rear. The car steers so hard as is, that most people don't want any more traction up front. At least when running on carpet.

2. How sensitive is it... well again, that depends on whether your running on asphault or carpet. On asphault, almost ever setting seems to be less sensitive that it is on carpet. That doesn't mean you can not set stuff right, it just means that it wont kill your handling if your slightly off. On carpet with foams on the other hand, you MUST make sure that if nothing else, your droop is equal side to side. Other wise, your look at a car that will steer better to one side than the other. And from what I've seen with my car, this setting is VERY sensitive. I check mine after ever race when racing carpet on foams.

Now as I said, I'm no expert, but this is my understanding of how this stuff works. Anyone with any better info, please feel free to chime in.
dark.. doesnt droop also affect weight transfer from rear to front...and vice versa? since if you have more droop in the rear.. when braking, the chassis will lift up more thus transferring the weight forward? (thats how i understand it from the XXX Main set up book)
Old 03-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Chris, I've got your droop up here @ SIR for TCS....come & getcha sum
Old 03-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
dark.. doesnt droop also affect weight transfer from rear to front...and vice versa? since if you have more droop in the rear.. when braking, the chassis will lift up more thus transferring the weight forward? (thats how i understand it from the XXX Main set up book)
Yep, Core Creations covered that right after my post.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by scotwithonly1t
Will running little to no grease on the diff balls preserve them from dirt getting attracted by grease?
You don't need that much to begin with... I run on a parking lot too (in Egypt, where the dust is really fine). Just be careful not to spill any lube over the sides, or use something thicker as a lube (I use this Synco Super Lube thing that's thicker than the Stealth lube). I don't know why but I've gone through almost a season without even cleaning my diff (still smooth)...when I use that Synco lube. The stealth-lubed diffs on my TB-02 goes gritty more quickly for some odd reasons...
Old 03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by P956LH
You don't need that much to begin with... I run on a parking lot too (in Egypt, where the dust is really fine). Just be careful not to spill any lube over the sides, or use something thicker as a lube (I use this Synco Super Lube thing that's thicker than the Stealth lube). I don't know why but I've gone through almost a season without even cleaning my diff (still smooth)...when I use that Synco lube. The stealth-lubed diffs on my TB-02 goes gritty more quickly for some odd reasons...
In that environment would some of the put on and let dry teflon lubricants work? I know they help keep dust and grit out of my cvd's.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

The inside balls and rings need very very little...regardless of where you race the thrust bearing needs to be packed to the gills with heavy thick grease. If you put the red foam in after (your supposed to) it keeps most of the crap out. If you try and run the thrust with little or thin grease it will fail prematurely. And at $5 a bearing I'd say just be safe and pack it!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Chris, I've got your droop up here @ SIR for TCS....come & getcha sum
you sure you want some? (see you in five days. it'll be fun to finally race with/against you. )

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Yep, Core Creations covered that right after my post.
oops. i missed his post. at least that confirms that i read the xxx main book correctly
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by westerdude42
In that environment would some of the put on and let dry teflon lubricants work? I know they help keep dust and grit out of my cvd's.
what's a commonly used put on and let dry lube? (really, I'm asking 'cause I don't know...)
Old 03-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

id just like to put up aw arning for ppl that are thinking of getting topcad ta05 cvd's i broke 3 out of 4 of mine in the first 3 weeks of using them and i was only drifting so there wasnt even any strain on them. also the bearings were a extremely tight fit so just be wary of them.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:14 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by P956LH
what's a commonly used put on and let dry lube? (really, I'm asking 'cause I don't know...)
White Lightning is what I've used. They're designed for use on bicycles but work pretty well in RC cars also. I have never tried them in a dif though.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

Don't even bother with aftermarket CVD's Buy the Tamiya's it WILL work out cheaper in the long run!
Old 03-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Can anyone give me a list of bearings you need to fully ballrace a TA05. I've left my destructions at home and work get nasty if I surf all day

Cheers
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Can anyone give me a list of bearings you need to fully ballrace a TA05. I've left my destructions at home and work get nasty if I surf all day

Cheers
4 x 15mm x 10mm Diff supports

2 x 8mm x 4mm Spur supports

4 x 8mm x 5mm inside diff

8 x 11mm x 5mm wheels (stock suspension)
or
8 x 9mm x 5mm wheels (LW rev suspension
Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by westerdude42
White Lightning is what I've used. They're designed for use on bicycles but work pretty well in RC cars also. I have never tried them in a dif though.
Oh...yeah I use something similar for the gears on my TB-02, although I think it's too slippery for the diff. Although while spraying the gears some of the stuff did get into the diff, and the diff didn't slip...don't want to risk any diff parts trying that out
Old 03-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Core Creations
I'm not exactly sure of the theory behind lowering or raisng the axles within the C carrier...but I understand thats what it does. With them inverted (opposite of the manual) it raises the axle within the carrier. For me it made the car both more aggressive and consistent.
Thanks for the info, it helps a lot

I'm using stock suspension arm set (not the Lt. Wt. Reversible)
How about caster, have you ever measured ?

ANd also, what about anti-squat by adding suspension mount spacer on the front part of front susp. block ?? Do we need this ? What's the effect ?

Rgds,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.