Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TEM
That goes to the first link I put up. And it works out to like 140USD. Thats freakin cheap! Available in late march-ish? BTW, you've ordered from them before and they are pleasant to deal with?
Like he said, RC Champ is the best! Core Racing and I have ordered from them on too many occasions to count. NEVER had a problem.

Just follow the instructions on how to order from them, and everything will go smoothly.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TEM
That goes to the first link I put up. And it works out to like 140USD. Thats freakin cheap! Available in late march-ish? BTW, you've ordered from them before and they are pleasant to deal with?
I've also done business with them a number of times..in fact I've got an order on it's way and I'm on the waiting list for an M03R at the end of March. They've been fantastic.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
RLS
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You can buy from RC Champ with confidence . I was unlucky enough to have long waits for email replies on each of my first two orders but I received an explanation and sincere apology for that and the super-quick shipping and unbeatable prices more than made up for it. Ordering from them is easy. Several pages back Darkseid posted excellent ordering instructions. I will add to be sure to state how you will be paying, (PayPal suggested), to save them and you the time of them having to ask.

Best of luck!!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TEM
ordered from them a number of times and never encountered any problems fast service and cheap our only problem here is the customs and duties that you have to pay plus taxes do'nt know how much you pay for the customs and duties in the U.S. or in any other country
Old 02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

is this a thread about purchasing from RC champ or about the Tamiya TA05?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
I can't separate both... TA05 success is linked to champ success....
Old 03-01-2007, 08:22 AM
RLS
Tech Regular

Sorry, I wanted to set the record straight after a comment I made earlier about RC Champ. Back to the TA05....
I've read through most of the chassis discussions in this thread but I'm still debating buiding mine with the stock chassis or carbon tub, especially since it appears the TA05R comes with the original plastic one. Is there anyone who did not like the car with the carbon tub and went back to the stock chassis?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RLS
Sorry, I wanted to set the record straight after a comment I made earlier about RC Champ. Back to the TA05....
I've read through most of the chassis discussions in this thread but I'm still debating buiding mine with the stock chassis or carbon tub, especially since it appears the TA05R comes with the original plastic one. Is there anyone who did not like the car with the carbon tub and went back to the stock chassis?
I am still putting my car together, but my experience is that I have stripped out all of the stock screws when I put them into the carbon tub; the stock screws are too soft for the carbon material I think and 3/4 of my screws are stripped out on the head and they aren't fully in and too messed up to easily remove.

I really disappointed in this since it basically means I can't work on the car unless I drill out these screws which will be a major pain.

Now I'd recommend slightly drilling out the carbon tubs holes before you install it, but that's also a disappointment in that the build quality would require this extra effort.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by RaceBucks
I am still putting my car together, but my experience is that I have stripped out all of the stock screws when I put them into the carbon tub; the stock screws are too soft for the carbon material I think and 3/4 of my screws are stripped out on the head and they aren't fully in and too messed up to easily remove.

I really disappointed in this since it basically means I can't work on the car unless I drill out these screws which will be a major pain.

Now I'd recommend slightly drilling out the carbon tubs holes before you install it, but that's also a disappointment in that the build quality would require this extra effort.
The screws that come with the kit aren't the best quality. I just put mine together a couple weeks ago and didn't even bother using the stock ones...I used the kit from RCScrewz. Stainless steel, hex head...went in really easy. I would have stripped out a lot of them with just the plastic chassis.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

I can't speak for the TA05 carbon tub, but other carbon reinforced parts from Tamiya, such as the 'Hard' suspension arms, usually have a recommendation on the instruction sheet to at least drill out screw holes part depth with a 3mm drill - with 1/10th stuff most, if not all, constructional screws are 3mm Using a 3mm tapping size drill (about 2.8mm) for the full depth of the hole would be the ideal solution.

In my experience even the 'J' parts of the old TA02 FRP chassis kit needed to be drilled out and they were not carbon reinforced. So the problem is not new.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Have you guys considered buying a tap and tapping the holes out before putting the screws in?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TEM
Have you guys considered buying a tap and tapping the holes out before putting the screws in?
I did it and it works!
It's a pain but saves a lot of headaches later on!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by maxepower
I did it and it works!
It's a pain but saves a lot of headaches later on!
What tap do you use? Just for the carbon reinforced "hard" stuff or everything including the soft stuff?

Taping harder metals is usually "forward-forward-back" (cut, cut, clear shavings) and yes its tedius. Something softer, you can just use a drill on SLOW speed; go all the way in, then back out. Takes VERY little time. I have never done it with the tamiya plastic, however..
Old 03-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Threading holes!

Originally Posted by TEM
What tap do you use? Just for the carbon reinforced "hard" stuff or everything including the soft stuff?

Taping harder metals is usually "forward-forward-back" (cut, cut, clear shavings) and yes its tedius. Something softer, you can just use a drill on SLOW speed; go all the way in, then back out. Takes VERY little time. I have never done it with the tamiya plastic, however..
I got a 2mm tap from my LHS and made a thumb screw of sorts using an old
pinion gear to hold the tap. Just tapped the hard plastic. You can also buy a t-handle for the tap!
The tap gets pretty hot just tapping the holes, I used a little oil just to make things easy.
To save time and your fingers you can also use a hand drill to start the threading but don't bottom out or you'll pull the threads out. Then finish the rest of the way by hand.
Just keep in mind the tap has to be perpindicular to the surface or straight up and down to the holes.
Even after this if you overtighten the screw you can still strip the threads.
Hope this was of some help!
Old 03-01-2007, 09:33 PM
RLS
Tech Regular

I bought a titanium screw kit and started building the car with the carbon chassis. No problems threading any screws. My only issue is that I'm second guessing myself and considering starting over with the stock chassis.

Is there anyone who did not like the car with the carbon tub and went back to the stock chassis?
Anybody???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.