Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

If you haven't applied enough ball diff grease, absolutely!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by nexxus
I thought I had put plenty in my diffs, (filled every ball hole that was used) only used it for one meeting (20 minutes of racing) in 19t and they already feel bad- the front one is sounding like metal and rough, the rear is better but not 100%

Time for a rebuild...

Guess theres always the possability I tightened the front one up too much when I built it?
Old 03-05-2007, 02:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

check how much grease is on the thrust race firstly.

Too much grease will make the balls slip, and to be honest, a little grittyness won't harm performance.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
How much is enough? With my RDX I just had to coat each diff ball (put them in a plastic bags and rolled them around in the diff lube).

Are people using the Tamiya stuff or something else (like Associated??)
Old 03-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Rear alum. mount
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan-sp-spt-301.jpg  
Old 03-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Tech Master

Nice bling, not much good for racing though.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
check how much grease is on the thrust race firstly.

Too much grease will make the balls slip, and to be honest, a little grittyness won't harm performance.
Cheers for that, I thought I had used a pretty good amount of grease, I know the amount you get with the kit doesnt look like much but I didnt scrounge on it when I was building them both, maybe i'll have a look in the outdrives first and see if any leaked out
Old 03-05-2007, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
How much is enough? With my RDX I just had to coat each diff ball (put them in a plastic bags and rolled them around in the diff lube).

Are people using the Tamiya stuff or something else (like Associated??)
You don't need much at all.. I use AeroCar Goo Loob, a small cannister will last a lifetime. All I do is dab the tip of my allen driver in the stuff, and literally touch each ball once while they're mounted in the pulley/gear. It's all you need, as they only contact a very small patch on the plate. Mine stay smooth all the time.

Tamiya AW grease is best for the thrust bearings, pack it good. It's so thick it doesn't let much else contaminate it and make it gritty for a long time.

The key is break-in.. don't wrench it in right away, tighten it enough to get the diff action, use a dremel, drill, drill press, whatever with a flat-head screwdriver bit to run it for 30 secs, check the slip and tighten a quarter or half turn each time accordingly. It may take 5-6 mins to get it to the point where it no longer loosens up on you, but this makes sure the balls and spring are seated nicely, and leaves no surprises when you put it in the car and go for a few runs. My diffs have been through 4 races now without a rebuild nor grittiness. Then again, I have the wide-pitch pulleys that cover up the diffs ends. They're awesome just for that reason.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Is it common for the diffs on this car to get gritty/notchy after just a single day of racing? I purchased some carbide balls hoping to help. Anything else to try?
Yeah, it is common, especially if your running on carpet. It has NOTHING to do with how much grease you apply. So don't sweat it thinking your not building them right, or using the right grease, or not using enough grease. Its not you...

I've tried it all, more grease, less grease, different brands of grease, different thickness of grease, new TA05 balls, etc....it don't matter.

The only way I've gotten the diffs to stay smooth on this car is to get new balls, and replace the diff rings with Yokomo diff rings.

Using the stock rings with the stock balls, I see no way to keep the diffs smooth for any length of time.

So since you already have new carbide balls, pick up some Yokomo diff rings and you should be all good.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

darkseid, you got part numbers for them?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:37 AM
Regional Moderator

Not off the top of my head. I would have to search around to find out. I got lucky, I had some extra new in package rings sitting around from my Yokomo 4wd buggy, so I didn't have to buy any.

I'll look around on Yokomo's website and see if I can find the part number. It shouldn't be too tough to find since they're just stock MR4TC/BD diff rings.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Yeah, it is common, especially if your running on carpet. It has NOTHING to do with how much grease you apply. So don't sweat it thinking your not building them right, or using the right grease, or not using enough grease. Its not you...

I've tried it all, more grease, less grease, different brands of grease, different thickness of grease, new TA05 balls, etc....it don't matter.

The only way I've gotten the diffs to stay smooth on this car is to get new balls, and replace the diff rings with Yokomo diff rings.

Using the stock rings with the stock balls, I see no way to keep the diffs smooth for any length of time.

So since you already have new carbide balls, pick up some Yokomo diff rings and you should be all good.
Great information! Thanks. and yes it was on carpet

On a side note Ive ran this car for 3 weeks and not a single part has broken on the car.

The Penquin chassis has worked really well for me. This is the best handling car Ive owned (Pro4, RDX). Im 2 laps better then I was with the RDX and the car is just so smooth.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Regional Moderator

Here you go...

Yokomo ZS-506 $2.50~$2.75

These are the standard diff rings for all their ball diffs.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Master

do you use the stock TA05 balls with them then Darkseid?
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
do you use the stock TA05 balls with them then Darkseid?
Yes, but if your diff balls have ever gotten grainy, then its best to start from scratch with new balls along with the Yokomo rings. But of course, if you have the money for carbide, or ceramic balls, then it definitely wont hurt anything to throw those in.

The only downside to the Yok rings is that they're hard to find because Yokomo uses them on pretty much ALL their cars that have a ball diff. And then there's people like me and Core Creations who use them on our non-Yokomo TA05 cars, so supply struggles to meet demand. Right now, speedtech and stormer are both out of stock.

The best way to get ahold of them is probably to order them through the local hobby shop and just wait for them to come in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.