R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #6706
Regional Moderator
 
Darkseid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: At my computer, duh...
Posts: 9,033
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
That goes to the first link I put up. And it works out to like 140USD. Thats freakin cheap! Available in late march-ish? BTW, you've ordered from them before and they are pleasant to deal with?
Like he said, RC Champ is the best! Core Racing and I have ordered from them on too many occasions to count. NEVER had a problem.

Just follow the instructions on how to order from them, and everything will go smoothly.
__________________
TLR 22...Tamiya F104...
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #6707
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
That goes to the first link I put up. And it works out to like 140USD. Thats freakin cheap! Available in late march-ish? BTW, you've ordered from them before and they are pleasant to deal with?
I've also done business with them a number of times..in fact I've got an order on it's way and I'm on the waiting list for an M03R at the end of March. They've been fantastic.
__________________
KCRC - Kansas City Remote Crawlers
Team Chucklenuts Racing
Midwest R/C Rally Confederation
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:19 AM   #6708
RLS
Tech Adept
 
RLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 246
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

You can buy from RC Champ with confidence . I was unlucky enough to have long waits for email replies on each of my first two orders but I received an explanation and sincere apology for that and the super-quick shipping and unbeatable prices more than made up for it. Ordering from them is easy. Several pages back Darkseid posted excellent ordering instructions. I will add to be sure to state how you will be paying, (PayPal suggested), to save them and you the time of them having to ask.

Best of luck!!
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #6709
Tech Master
 
buboy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: manila,philippines
Posts: 1,601
Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
That goes to the first link I put up. And it works out to like 140USD. Thats freakin cheap! Available in late march-ish? BTW, you've ordered from them before and they are pleasant to deal with?
ordered from them a number of times and never encountered any problems fast service and cheap our only problem here is the customs and duties that you have to pay plus taxes do'nt know how much you pay for the customs and duties in the U.S. or in any other country
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:44 AM   #6710
Tech Master
 
tamiyarcracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 1,633
Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer
Default

is this a thread about purchasing from RC champ or about the Tamiya TA05?
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 AM   #6711
Tech Addict
 
rampal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 563
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
is this a thread about purchasing from RC champ or about the Tamiya TA05?
I can't separate both... TA05 success is linked to champ success....
__________________
The Blue Armada: Tamiya TRF415MSXX, Tamiya TA05MS, Tamiya/Xenon TA05
Novak Brushless, Orion/Peak LiPo batteries, 5-cell
Sanwa M11 DSSS, KO Propo Servos
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #6712
RLS
Tech Adept
 
RLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 246
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
is this a thread about purchasing from RC champ or about the Tamiya TA05?
Sorry, I wanted to set the record straight after a comment I made earlier about RC Champ. Back to the TA05....
I've read through most of the chassis discussions in this thread but I'm still debating buiding mine with the stock chassis or carbon tub, especially since it appears the TA05R comes with the original plastic one. Is there anyone who did not like the car with the carbon tub and went back to the stock chassis?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 PM   #6713
Tech Addict
 
RaceBucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS
Sorry, I wanted to set the record straight after a comment I made earlier about RC Champ. Back to the TA05....
I've read through most of the chassis discussions in this thread but I'm still debating buiding mine with the stock chassis or carbon tub, especially since it appears the TA05R comes with the original plastic one. Is there anyone who did not like the car with the carbon tub and went back to the stock chassis?
I am still putting my car together, but my experience is that I have stripped out all of the stock screws when I put them into the carbon tub; the stock screws are too soft for the carbon material I think and 3/4 of my screws are stripped out on the head and they aren't fully in and too messed up to easily remove.

I really disappointed in this since it basically means I can't work on the car unless I drill out these screws which will be a major pain.

Now I'd recommend slightly drilling out the carbon tubs holes before you install it, but that's also a disappointment in that the build quality would require this extra effort.
__________________
"We face each other as God intended. Sportsman-like. No tricks, skill against skill alone." -Fezzik
RaceBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #6714
Tech Fanatic
 
muahdib4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Raymore
Posts: 863
Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBucks
I am still putting my car together, but my experience is that I have stripped out all of the stock screws when I put them into the carbon tub; the stock screws are too soft for the carbon material I think and 3/4 of my screws are stripped out on the head and they aren't fully in and too messed up to easily remove.

I really disappointed in this since it basically means I can't work on the car unless I drill out these screws which will be a major pain.

Now I'd recommend slightly drilling out the carbon tubs holes before you install it, but that's also a disappointment in that the build quality would require this extra effort.
The screws that come with the kit aren't the best quality. I just put mine together a couple weeks ago and didn't even bother using the stock ones...I used the kit from RCScrewz. Stainless steel, hex head...went in really easy. I would have stripped out a lot of them with just the plastic chassis.
__________________
KCRC - Kansas City Remote Crawlers
Team Chucklenuts Racing
Midwest R/C Rally Confederation
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #6715
Tech Apprentice
 
peejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 92
Default

I can't speak for the TA05 carbon tub, but other carbon reinforced parts from Tamiya, such as the 'Hard' suspension arms, usually have a recommendation on the instruction sheet to at least drill out screw holes part depth with a 3mm drill - with 1/10th stuff most, if not all, constructional screws are 3mm Using a 3mm tapping size drill (about 2.8mm) for the full depth of the hole would be the ideal solution.

In my experience even the 'J' parts of the old TA02 FRP chassis kit needed to be drilled out and they were not carbon reinforced. So the problem is not new.
peejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #6716
TEM
Tech Regular
 
TEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 253
Default

Have you guys considered buying a tap and tapping the holes out before putting the screws in?
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #6717
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
Have you guys considered buying a tap and tapping the holes out before putting the screws in?
I did it and it works!
It's a pain but saves a lot of headaches later on!
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EVO-6,TA-07,TRF419W,EXOTEK-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #6718
TEM
Tech Regular
 
TEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower
I did it and it works!
It's a pain but saves a lot of headaches later on!
What tap do you use? Just for the carbon reinforced "hard" stuff or everything including the soft stuff?

Taping harder metals is usually "forward-forward-back" (cut, cut, clear shavings) and yes its tedius. Something softer, you can just use a drill on SLOW speed; go all the way in, then back out. Takes VERY little time. I have never done it with the tamiya plastic, however..
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #6719
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Threading holes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
What tap do you use? Just for the carbon reinforced "hard" stuff or everything including the soft stuff?

Taping harder metals is usually "forward-forward-back" (cut, cut, clear shavings) and yes its tedius. Something softer, you can just use a drill on SLOW speed; go all the way in, then back out. Takes VERY little time. I have never done it with the tamiya plastic, however..
I got a 2mm tap from my LHS and made a thumb screw of sorts using an old
pinion gear to hold the tap. Just tapped the hard plastic. You can also buy a t-handle for the tap!
The tap gets pretty hot just tapping the holes, I used a little oil just to make things easy.
To save time and your fingers you can also use a hand drill to start the threading but don't bottom out or you'll pull the threads out. Then finish the rest of the way by hand.
Just keep in mind the tap has to be perpindicular to the surface or straight up and down to the holes.
Even after this if you overtighten the screw you can still strip the threads.
Hope this was of some help!
__________________
Tamiya Track Local. 10,000 Watts of power! ($5 donations for gas appreciated)
Proud Father of GT-1 Past Champion!"Hey, I got to go to Japan too!
FF03,TA-05V2 ,EVO-6,TA-07,TRF419W,EXOTEK-6
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 PM   #6720
RLS
Tech Adept
 
RLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 246
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

I bought a titanium screw kit and started building the car with the carbon chassis. No problems threading any screws. My only issue is that I'm second guessing myself and considering starting over with the stock chassis.

Quote:
Is there anyone who did not like the car with the carbon tub and went back to the stock chassis?
Anybody???
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Tamiya TA05-R (TA05) TCS Legal limbohz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-05-2008 08:58 PM
New Tamiya TA05 R touring car/motor/esc! Frost99999 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 08-07-2007 12:24 PM
FWD touring car/sedan hellbilly R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 6 01-12-2007 06:22 PM
Tamiya TA05 full race sedan, Tons of Hop Ups lbckevin R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 13 08-29-2006 03:05 PM
want to buy a touring/sedan car traxxasracer Minnesota and North/South Dakota Racing 7 09-21-2004 06:36 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:58 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net