Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wcalaker
I guess I was looking for more of a set up for rubber/carpet. I looked at the Tamiya website and only found a blank set up sheet and one other but it looked more like an asphalt set up. Basically whats on here are most standard upgrade parts. Was looking for somethign a bit more specific from someone who may run rubber tires on carpet with medium grip. Somewhat technical track but not too tough.
Only one issue I have with thinking about buying this car and that is there are no stores around here (Dallas area) that carry the kit or more importantly parts. Seems I have to purchase everything online which im not to crazy about because I want to support local hobby shops and its an inconvienance to have to order everything online.
First you say carpet then you say asphalt. Which one please
secondly, Hop ups I always recomend are universals & belts. Shocks are a good addition, but the plastic units work decent too. I like to have a one way front diff, and I like to upgrade the rear diff. I also don't like the turnbuckles., so I upgrade those as well.
as for 19t rubber on carpet I don't run on carpet (except once and a 25t motor was used)
You can try to find Marc Reinhard's set up from vegas, and a lot of it should transfer to the TA05
Old 01-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OllieRDX
You need some carbon pieces and other stuff!
My TA05 is full option but i only drive it for tamiyacup here in Belgian.

Here some pics

hi, whats the parts number for the light weight screw set? thanks..

how does the rc champ work??
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wcalaker
Anyone have any experience with this car racing rubber tires on carpet? I would be running an Orion 4800 lipo and a 19t and probably a 4300 bl soon. Love the way the car looks. What would be the bare min upgrades needed or is this car best suited for asphalt racing ? Any info is appreciated. Thx.
i have raced my ta05 at the local carpet track here in the bay area.. i used foams(purples for the front, plaid in the back) and rubber tires( take off cs22).. and i can say it works fine.. you just need to put jack the gripper for the rubber tires.. for upgrades.. i would suggest get some sway bars and universals.. and that would be competitive.. just from my experience.. peace..
Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
First you say carpet then you say asphalt. Which one please
secondly, Hop ups I always recomend are universals & belts. Shocks are a good addition, but the plastic units work decent too. I like to have a one way front diff, and I like to upgrade the rear diff. I also don't like the turnbuckles., so I upgrade those as well.
as for 19t rubber on carpet I don't run on carpet (except once and a 25t motor was used)
You can try to find Marc Reinhard's set up from vegas, and a lot of it should transfer to the TA05
what do you mean upgrade the rear diff? replace the outdrives? upgrade the turnbuckles? with what?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:34 AM
Tech Champion

I too have been sucked in to buying one of these for my replacement to an old and worn out tc3 so I will be looking in this thread for some tips...

I have a 3racing chassis kit, sway bar set and graphite shock mount setup coming in the post for it too, hope to have it delivered and built up soon, ready for some action! Look out Xrays etc,i'm coming to hunt you down!....
Old 01-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jam-ehz
'A' blocks are the same size as the stock TA05 mounts.

They range from:
shortest - XD XC XB XA X A B C D E - longest
Every letter difference gives you a half-degree change.

I myself like the shorter track of using f:XC/r:XA in the rear with a 1-degree upright (2 degrees total), and XC/XC in the front, plus I don't need 48mm axles when using the lightweight suspension. I can also flip the X-mounts upside down, eliminating the need for bridge mounts for the belts.

If there's a 1 in there (1A, etc.), I believe they sit 1mm higher than those than don't.
Ok got it. What confused me a bit is, on Tamiya's website they listed a 1A front bridge suspension mount... so with just the 4 X-mounts I should be set? I'm placing my order tomorrow with RC champ and the suspension mounts was the only thing that held my order back.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pacific17
hi, whats the parts number for the light weight screw set? thanks..

how does the rc champ work??
Titanum Lightweight Screws Set for TA05 = 49360

Super lightweight Blue Aluminum screws (sold in package of 5):
Round 3x8 = OP766 #53766
Round 3x10 = OP767 #53767
Countersunk 3x8 = OP772 #53772
Countersunk 3x10 = OP773 #53773
Countersunk 3x12 = OP774 #53774
Old 01-08-2007, 06:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pacific17
what do you mean upgrade the rear diff? replace the outdrives? upgrade the turnbuckles? with what?
I think what he might be saying is:
1) replace with Aluminum ones if you will are planning to upgrade assuming you have not already got the Precision (plastic) ones. http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53849
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53919
2) upgrade to the Titanum or Aluminum turnbuckles straight.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=53872
Cheers.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Any TA05 guys at the Novak Race??
Old 01-08-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Addict

I currently run the precision outdrive. I found the standard kit outdrives were flogged out by the universal shafts too quick.
The current outdrives have been in the rear about 4 months (rear only, use front one-way) and show very little wear. The car races once per week on asphalt (sports tuned class) and once per week on carpet (27t stock). It's also been used for 1x 30 minute enduro and a 48 minute enduro.
I'm not convinced the aluminium outdrives would be an improvement. I think they would wear at a similar rate or maybe even faster and they are additional cost.
I would prefer to replace the precision outdrives more often at a lower cost.

Has anyone used the aluminium outdrives over an extended time period?
How was the wear rate?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The aluminum diffs use those plastic protector tabs at the end of the shaft. They protect the aluminum very well (no play between the two) although they can get quite roughed up depending on how hard you are on the throttle. The only way the aluminum can get hit is if the protector comes off while driving and you don't notice it.

I've found a way to keep them on longer.. coat a layer of CA glue on the outer portion of the plastic tab (don't get any on/in the holes, you still want the shaft to move freely), stiffens it right up, less likely to bend out under force. I'd buy another pack of 4 anyway.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by FreqETag
Any TA05 guys at the Novak Race??
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...page=205&pp=30

Looks like there was at least 1
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

The stock outdrives lasted 18 months, till I sheared a kingpin, so wearing them out that quick!!!! you must be doing something
Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
The stock outdrives lasted 18 months, till I sheared a kingpin, so wearing them out that quick!!!! you must be doing something
The only thing I could think of is if there is slop in the upright it then transfers up the driveshaft and causes stress on the diff outdrive, but it is only a guess.

Or on second thoughts, maybe a bent driveshaft, causing it to run at a bad angle into the outdrive?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Tamiyaracer - rubber tires on carpet. I said the only set up sheets I found were for asphalt and a blank one. Anyways thanks for the info , I agree with changing the outdrives as carpet will add a bit more stress.
So a decent start would be to get

TA-05
Aramid Belts
Front and rear graphite shock towers
TRF Flourine Coated shocks
Spring set
Aluminum steering rack

Sound like a good start ?

Btw, are there any issues using different gears?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.