Thumbs up

Not an issue for 99.9% of the Hobby
Better than ever with lots of time to test things, and far less maintenance

T4's are still plenty capable cars as well
Old 06-05-2013, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
For a while it seemed cheap brushless motors/batteries, etc were all competitive. Now we're back to $100 batteries and motors.. Nearly time to exit the hobby again it seems.

Dave
Lol good on ya blinky racing.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Sounds like rc racing is going back to the battery/motor game that pushed me out of the hobby back in the late 90s.

Dave
Avoid blinky and none of the above applies

Even in blinky, I don't think the batteries matter as much as some people think, not like they're getting heavy loading.

Skiddins
Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
It never really went away. Manufacturers just removed all of the numbers which left the consumers to purchase and test more to find the "Magic ones."
Part of the game for any racing at the upper level. Also a convenient excuse for a lot of club racers who can't complete a lap without bashing into someone or something. Motor and batteries aren't the problem if someone is two laps off the pace.

Back to the T4... love it!!!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I would choose handling over speed any day. if all 10 cars equally handled well, it would be the driver skill that will make a car faster more likely than the motor/battery. If all cars handled well and the driver skill levels are equal Then the motor will matter given that the timing and gearing are perfect for all cars.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
I would choose handling over speed any day. if all 10 cars equally handled well, it would be the driver skill that will make a car faster more likely than the motor/battery. If all cars handled well and the driver skill levels are equal Then the motor will matter given that the timing and gearing are perfect for all cars.
Don't get me wrong this car is fantastic. I run it in vta which is probably way overkill. I run cheapy batteries and consistently about .1 a lap off the one guy who is faster than I am. He runs an xtray T1 or T2. I have always gotten the low C batteries as I usually run offroad but I think perhaps in VTA a better (expensive) battery may get me that .1. Guess you have to pay to play..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

talking of handling i just shaved 105 gms from my t4, shorty batterys and ti screws
it was 1440 gms now 1335 gms,still playing around with corners weights,got all four corners within 20 gms of each other,better than the 130 gms difference i had before,to get the right balance the esc is opposite the servo and the shorty is at the back to offset the motors weight,this weekends race will tell me if i have done it right or cocked it up and have to start over again
Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Adept

Just put an xray offset spur on and its very close to the top deck and is not as central as the original. Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Thats normal. I actually prefer the offset spurs as they allow the rearward motor screw to clear the spur better. If it hits anything, then somthing is wrong.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Thats normal. I actually prefer the offset spurs as they allow the rearward motor screw to clear the spur better. If it hits anything, then somthing is wrong.
Its not hitting anything but on the outside opposite to motor its very close to top deck and belt
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
talking of handling i just shaved 105 gms from my t4, shorty batterys and ti screws
it was 1440 gms now 1335 gms,still playing around with corners weights,got all four corners within 20 gms of each other,better than the 130 gms difference i had before,to get the right balance the esc is opposite the servo and the shorty is at the back to offset the motors weight,this weekends race will tell me if i have done it right or cocked it up and have to start over again
Your wires from the motor to the speed control must be ridiculously long haha.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
How was it so heavy. Both my T4's needed no extra weight. With everything my cars are at 1387. And both are balanced. What electronics are you running.

Edit: I take that back. I used a smaller servo in my newest one and had to add 10 grams.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by edhchoe
With these RCs, I would go for a larger battery (Around 7200 mAh). A shorty pack may handle alright, but it will have greater resistance and it will be unable to sustain its voltage. Over the course of a 5-6 minute run, the larger battery should be faster pretty much everywhere you are on the throttle.

Originally Posted by Chaz955i
Part of the game for any racing at the upper level. Also a convenient excuse for a lot of club racers who can't complete a lap without bashing into someone or something. Motor and batteries aren't the problem if someone is two laps off the pace.
Right, very true.

The fact of the matter is that in racing, there is no such thing as a level playing field when pocketbooks differ. The teams with the deepest pockets are the ones that have the ability to test products and configurations to no end and ultimately win the most races... The bottom line is that to compete at the top, you've gotta pay to play.

Luckily, most racers only do so at the club level, so "Deep pockets" aren't a necessity to finish on top.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nathan Wilson
Its not hitting anything but on the outside opposite to motor its very close to top deck and belt
its offset in one direction,flip it around and see if it clears more
Old 06-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Jerz616
How was it so heavy. Both my T4's needed no extra weight. With everything my cars are at 1387. And both are balanced. What electronics are you running.

Edit: I take that back. I used a smaller servo in my newest one and had to add 10 grams.
hpi plazma 6500mah=305 gms,gm motor=? orion r10 esc = 44gms,savox shorty servo=40gms,futaba reciever=7 gms
and a load of steel screws,i just couldnt get it to turn in the way i needed so it went on a diet,i now have all four corners within 6 gms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.