Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T4 '13

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Fan/Heat Sink combo

What do you guys recommend as a fan/heat sink combo? I saw the nice fan mount piece RSD makes for the T4, but is just a 30mm fan enough to cool down the motor or do recommend getting heat sink with a fan? I am not going to be running mod, more likely 17.5 or 13.5 with the physical timing up on the motor to get the best performance.

Any advice will help, thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Thanks I will take a look..
You can also mark the belt and pulley with a silver sharpie, and go run. If the two marks no longer line up...
Old 05-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by esckalayd
What do you guys recommend as a fan/heat sink combo? I saw the nice fan mount piece RSD makes for the T4, but is just a 30mm fan enough to cool down the motor or do recommend getting heat sink with a fan? I am not going to be running mod, more likely 17.5 or 13.5 with the physical timing up on the motor to get the best performance.

I have this fan on one of my touring cars and it really blows. It's The most powerful fan I have seen.

Originally Posted by erchn
You can also mark the belt and pulley with a silver sharpie, and go run. If the two marks no longer line up...
+1.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bvoltz
How do you tell if the front belt is slipping? I'm having a big problem with the rear passing the front of the car, acting like it is a 2 wheel drive... The belt nubs are in tack and when I hold the front wheels (with a front diff in) I have a lot of resistance, but I'm trying to figure out if the belt is slipping causing this issue...
If you even think it might be slipping, you're probably running it too loose.

Loosen the rear belt and tighten the front.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by esckalayd

with just a fan i was getting temps around 100c i then made a shroud from old bodyshell wheel cutout arches to keep the air just on the motor,same track same conditions im now getting temps of 80/85c,im using a 40x15 mm fan ,its a 5v so when run direct off the battery it really moves some air,been using the same fan for 3 months now still works fine,id go for the 40mm fan as its a better size match for the motor
Old 05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Skiddins
The LTC-R give good turn in, but sometimes you can use the Speed6 and get better lap times without it seeming to affect the steering.
I've been running the Speed6 at WLRC for the last few meetings.

Next time there I will most likely be running mod.

Skiddins
have you heard of or tried an src kruzer?ive just painted one up to try this weekend at amcc,its supposed to have more downforce than the mazda s6 at the rear and more front than an ltcr,probably going to be too much if the claims are true
Old 05-28-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
with just a fan i was getting temps around 100c i then made a shroud from old bodyshell wheel cutout arches to keep the air just on the motor,same track same conditions im now getting temps of 80/85c,im using a 40x15 mm fan ,its a 5v so when run direct off the battery it really moves some air,been using the same fan for 3 months now still works fine,id go for the 40mm fan as its a better size match for the motor
For anybody in the US 30mm is the largest fan allowed by ROAR.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xpress
For anybody in the US 30mm is the largest fan allowed by ROAR.
I did notice this in the ROAR rules which made me look into that new R1 fan shown above. Just wasn't sure if a fan alone would do justice on keeping the motor cool or if a heat sink with a fan was a better idea. I do see a lot of cars with just the fan on the T4.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
If you even think it might be slipping, you're probably running it too loose.

Loosen the rear belt and tighten the front.
It was just a thought given that the car is acting like a 2WD... I think it is something in the front of the car.. the other thing I need to test is holding the pulley and one wheel and try to turn the other wheel... It may have a gear inside the front diff... Just trying to look at anything that would cause the front wheels to pull, so I think this is the issue... The belt looks fine but.... I have not ran mod before and having a hell of time with it...
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Springs really depend on personal preference I have found.

With that said,

For Medium to Medium High Grip Asphalt, I like:
-Silver F/R and
-Silver F and Pink R.

For High Grip Asphalt I like:
-Blue F/R,
-Pink F and Blue R and
-Blue F and Black R

Ethan Erchinger just won the Open Modified Class at the Reedy Race using Red F/R with a 1.2 Sway Bar in the Front and no Sway Bar rear. The Red Springs are stiffer than the silvers.

On Carpet, most of the guys are running Blue and Black Springs.

This week we will also have a new spring to add to our asphalt spring set that will be softer than the silver spring.
I haven't really checked your website as of yet, do you have a set of asphalt springs with all rates included in a package, or I have to buy all rates separate also with carpet springs
Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
have you heard of or tried an src kruzer?ive just painted one up to try this weekend at amcc,its supposed to have more downforce than the mazda s6 at the rear and more front than an ltcr,probably going to be too much if the claims are true
I used that body on my NT1 and stuck with it. If its like the nitro body it'll be good outside
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Joe, we sell both sets and pairs of springs.

Barry, what CST oil is in your front diff? If it is not thick enough, it can act like a 2wd under power.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Joe, we sell both sets and pairs of springs.

Barry, what CST oil is in your front diff? If it is not thick enough, it can act like a 2wd under power.
1 million....
Old 05-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Speaking of front diffs. Ive been hearing that a tight diff is better on tight carpet type tracks than a spool. Any opinions on that?

Dave
Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
Speaking of front diffs. Ive been hearing that a tight diff is better on tight carpet type tracks than a spool. Any opinions on that?

Dave
Yep... Diff will give you a little more steering...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.