My VTA setup on my S1 is:
the spacers under all the arm mounts
450cst oil in all shocks
no sways
5 front 6 rear on droop blocks
stock setup for everything else
3.72 FDR Full motor timing
I adjust camber so the tires wear equal/flat
I also run DCJ's in the front, that really allows me to carry corner speed even though they add alittle weight
I also run the alum rear cvd bone option
'68 Camaro
car is wicked fast, most of the other top drivers run tc4 and it keeps up no problem and is more durable
I had *never*, ever heard of shock oils - or any oil, for that matter - being rated in terms of "cst".

Looking at that comparison chart that someone posted, it states that "Only manufacturers using cSt as rating are using a world standard and can be mixed used. Other ratings like W and WT differ from brand from brand as WT or W is not a world standard!"

In all my years working on (real) cars, I had NEVER heard of "cst" or "cps" or whatever ratings for oil. Just wondering when this "world standard" kicked in, that the United States never took notice (at least, *I'd* never heard of this until now).
Old 07-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMack12
Until I read this thread, and this particular post:

I had *never*, ever heard of shock oils - or any oil, for that matter - being rated in terms of "cst".

Looking at that comparison chart that someone posted, it states that "Only manufacturers using cSt as rating are using a world standard and can be mixed used. Other ratings like W and WT differ from brand from brand as WT or W is not a world standard!"

In all my years working on (real) cars, I had NEVER heard of "cst" or "cps" or whatever ratings for oil. Just wondering when this "world standard" kicked in, that the United States never took notice (at least, *I'd* never heard of this until now).
This is because the US has not adopted SI units, because the standards are housed in France and if they US cannot be in control of something, it wants nothing to do with it.

Automotive lubricants use the defacto standard of SAE, which mechanics understand, etc, while people working in a lab or in research will work with and report in SI units, for convenience and standardization.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
This is because the US has not adopted SI units, because the standards are housed in France and if they US cannot be in control of something, it wants nothing to do with it.

Automotive lubricants use the defacto standard of SAE, which mechanics understand, etc, while people working in a lab or in research will work with and report in SI units, for convenience and standardization.
Tell us how you really feel
Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Thanks guys. I am pretty close to stock setup except that I put red ride springs front and silver rears 450 cst stock 3 holes. Also running dcj fronts. I run around 2 rear toe. Anyone else running lesser toe on theirs?

Also how does your setup work without sways? The VTA car is way heavier than a stock sedan so I was wondering I should go up in stiffness in sways or you guys compensate with roll center adjustments?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default oversteer on throtle

Can you guys help me out how to overcome oversteer after exiting corner...on throtle the car just spin out

My setup is:
Front
100k gear diff oil
35wt shock oil/ silver hpi spring
6 droop
5,5 ride height
chamber 1
toe out 0,5

Rear
7k gear diff
35 wt shock oil/ blue hpi spring
5 droop
6 ride height
chamber 2
toe in 3

thanks
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k4mp4q
Can you guys help me out how to overcome oversteer after exiting corner...on throtle the car just spin out

My setup is:
Front
100k gear diff oil
6 droop
5,5 ride height
chamber 1
toe out 0,5

Rear
7k gear diff
5 droop
6 ride height
chamber 2
toe in 3

thanks
Check tweak, decrease the rear differential oil, increase front differential viscosity, increase the front ride height, soften the rear spring, add more droop up front...

Honestly, I would check the tweak first and then look to reducing the rear differential fluid viscosity and or increasing the front differential oil weight.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IIGQ4U
Check tweak, decrease the rear differential oil, increase front differential viscosity, increase the front ride height, soften the rear spring, add more droop up front...

Honestly, I would check the tweak first and then look to reducing the rear differential fluid viscosity and or increasing the front differential oil weight.
I didn't see anything mentioned about sway bars, but putting in a harder front or a softer rear sway bar should be close to the top of the list too.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

mate, start with 1k diff oil in the rear. Go from there, cheers!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I didn't see anything mentioned about sway bars, but putting in a harder front or a softer rear sway bar should be close to the top of the list too.
Not with the setup he posted. His diff oils look off.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

k4mp4q: rear diff oil waaay too thick, I always run 1k or 2k, CST of course

I don't run sways on vta, I don't like the feel of the sway acting on the inner suspension. It just feels more direct/precise without for me.

I just shim the lower arm mounts up for less roll and all the added lead on the chassis keeps CG low.

I run 2 degree per side rear toe, perfect and fast on the straight
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

1k diff oil, depending on the track. I run 500cst in there on a medium technical carpet track.

Front spool will help with the car spinning out. However, what kind of spin out are you talking about? I had a car before that entered corners well, but would 'hook' upon exit. I've also had cars that can't enter corners for crap and spin out when I turn in. WHEN it happens is just as important.

Try laying your rear shocks more inward as well.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

is there a newer version of the r1 coming out or its just a couple of option
motor mount frame top deck !!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k4mp4q

My setup is:
Front
100k gear diff oil
6 droop
5,5 ride height
chamber 1
toe out 0,5

Rear
7k gear diff
5 droop
6 ride height
chamber 2
toe in 3

thanks
I had a problem similar to this. It ended up being one of the spool cups had loosened and would pop out and lock up that side of the front end, causing a spin out. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Anyone have trouble with the spur gear assembly on the s1? The 6mm flat head m3's seem way to large. They seem like they will be in the way. Aside from that the holes are way way to small even after I tried opening them up a little bit.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

think there will be a new spec r car soon, a car with all new parts in the box, plus maybe some more new things...chassi, topdeck, motormount, servomount.
if no new car i will buy the new parts for the winter season for sure!
going to try my car on asphalt for the first time next week, looking forward to see how my heavily modified std chassi will work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.