Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hot Bodies Cyclone

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I have to chime in here because you guys are way off. Kevlar reinforced belts are NOT like rubber bands. They can stretch a minuscule amount under load but you are talking 10ths of a percent. Belts are faster because once they are moving the are more efficient than shaft systems. Also please note that the shaft itself has only a small amount to do to with the properties of a shaft car. We are really talking about the properties of bevel gears. Under high loads gears are good but the gear lash in the system starts to fight you at high speed and causes some really odd harmonics in the drive train. This slows shaft cars at high speed.

That said you are talking really small differences here. On any day any car can win if it has a good setup and a good driver at the wheel. But in controlled testing belts are faster and more efficient

Give Hara some credit here. Don't you think he has done back to back testing? I haven't asked him but I am pretty sure he has. What car is he running now...end of discussion...lol!
That is fine if Hara is now running a belt car.......... but a SHAFT car won the Reedy Race. I don't think either design has an advantage after racing a TC3 for 4 years and switching over to belts myself. In the end......... all cars have 4 arms and a drivetrain. The percentage differences are not enough to take into consideration.

If anything from the Hara car switch we should note............. a driver can be fast with BOTH designs.

Jeff
Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

yes mostly what i was getting at about a shaft car was its torque and how its prone to torque steer that is why its not a popular in running mod. not saying it cant by any means. i love shaft cars, that is all i have ever owned. a driver like the Assoc. guys have always driven a shatf car so they know how to compensate. also they are Pros so they have more skill and better throttle control then a driver like myself, and because i am not as skilled i struggle a bit more from the torque of a shaft car in fast classes.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

I personally prefer belt over shaft, but still like both. I just find belt to handle more consistant. I was faster with my xray then I ever was on my pro4.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fjm9898
yes mostly what i was getting at about a shaft car was its torque and how its prone to torque steer that is why its not a popular in running mod. not saying it cant by any means. i love shaft cars, that is all i have ever owned. a driver like the Assoc. guys have always driven a shatf car so they know how to compensate. also they are Pros so they have more skill and better throttle control then a driver like myself, and because i am not as skilled i struggle a bit more from the torque of a shaft car in fast classes.
I raced for AE from the original release of the TC3 in 1999 until 2003. I never once felt the effects of "torque steer" in the car. It didn't matter if it was on asphalt or carpet, it simply wasn't there. There is no need to "compensate" for it..........

Jeff
Old 08-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Regular

correction.. he AIDED in the design of both cars, through race testing. you're undermining the efforts of hpi's engineers making a statement like that.

..he designed both cars ..
Old 08-24-2005, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

It comes down to this...... driver, driver.... driver!!!

Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
That is fine if Hara is now running a belt car.......... but a SHAFT car won the Reedy Race. I don't think either design has an advantage after racing a TC3 for 4 years and switching over to belts myself. In the end......... all cars have 4 arms and a drivetrain. The percentage differences are not enough to take into consideration.

If anything from the Hara car switch we should note............. a driver can be fast with BOTH designs.

Jeff
Old 08-25-2005, 12:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

The old Belt vs shaft debate hehehe

What is it they say, the noisey it is the less efficient it becomes..

With that in mind then the belt drive would be more efficient over the shaft, (obviously there are other factors)

Im reckoning theres not a great deal difference between the cyclone and the pro4 its going to come down to setup at the end of the day and how quick a driver you are, would be nice to try back to back the cyclone and pro4 with the same setup just to see, any chance HB would let us do that, try before you buy sceme !!

Who knows?? i say if youve got the money go 4 it if you havent dont worry keep the pro4
Old 08-25-2005, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Does anyone know what online shops are offering a pre-order at the moment and the cost they are listing for the kit?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crangon
Does anyone know what online shops are offering a pre-order at the moment and the cost they are listing for the kit?
Speedtech and Tower have it for preorder...
Old 08-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

do people think it is worth pre-ordering or will the price drop quite a bit after a month or so?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

does anyone know if the cyclone comes with delrin pivot balls for the blocks or does it come withteh metal ones like the pro4
Old 08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

does anyone know if the cyclone comes with delrin pivot balls for the blocks or does it come withteh metal ones like the pro4
probably the metal ones... the Hara edition pro4 has the metal ones...
you know how it works...they want you to buy a ton of option parts....
for the same price I prefer the Square Delrin pivot balls..they're black. the white one don't look as nice after they get dirty...
Old 08-25-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

darn all the cyclones black aluminum. i cant tell if the shock ball ends are aluminum or plastic, anyone have an idea?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Addict

I think they'll be plastic as the cyclone uses the same plastic shock parts set as the Pro 4 which the plastic ones come on.

It's not a problem though because I'm going to use my purple ones off the Pro 4 on my Cyclone and I'm sure a few other people will do this.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

yea i just wanted to make sure before i place my order, now i know to grab another set. but if they are on it already, no big deal since they are only 3.50 for a set. i was just hoping for teh price of teh kit there would be more hop up items on it to start

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.