Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JC3
True. Just have to remember that this thread represents a miniscule number of all of the people racing. So, really, not representative of the the group as a whole at all.
True, HPI distributors have sold over 300 tire sets in the past few months, these tires are being used by racers at tracks nationwide
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default HPI VTA tires

Greg,
Who are the distributors that have them in stock? Last time I checked A Main, they only had fronts or only had rears
Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Greg,
Who are the distributors that have them in stock? Last time I checked A Main, they only had fronts or only had rears
AMain and HRP are the official HPI distributors in the US

HRP Distributing has front and rear sets available.
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:11 AM
Tech Initiate

What's everyone using for thread lock on their cars? I purchased a used X-Ray T4 and had a terrible weekend with screws coming loose. There doesn't appear to be any traces of blue loctite on the car, so I'm curious what if anything you guys might be using.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Green or purple Loctite

There are a couple of other options in addition to blue Loctite. I have a friend who swears by the purple Loctite. I've recently been trying green, which is said to be lower strength than blue and it's said to wick better.
TJD8521 likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJD8521
What's everyone using for thread lock on their cars? I purchased a used X-Ray T4 and had a terrible weekend with screws coming loose. There doesn't appear to be any traces of blue loctite on the car, so I'm curious what if anything you guys might be using.
I put blue on screw threads and let the screw sit overnight. Next day it has a nice coating that works really well to hold screws tight, but not too tight, just tight enough!
TJD8521 likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm going to have to rip this car apart and loctite everything down. Crap was falling out of the car left and right. In my disgust I thought about selling the car and getting something new.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:50 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJD8521
I'm going to have to rip this car apart and loctite everything down. Crap was falling out of the car left and right. In my disgust I thought about selling the car and getting something new.
Don't despair. I check my chassis screws multiple times throughout a race or practice day. Yesterday, after my first heat, one of the rear bulkhead screws came out and was sitting up on the chassis and the other three were totally loose. These and the front bulkhead screws are just about the only screws on the chassis that I haven't put loctite on the threads! Tightened up and good to go!
eR1c likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So, a few things could be goign on, and this is probally best for the T4 thread(s). If a screw goes into metal, through metal, it should get some locktite. If a screw goes into metal, but is sandwiching "something soft" like a carbon chassis or top deck, it doesn't need locktite. If screws are coming out a lot, make sure they're steel, or fresh aluminum screws. Also.. check the state of the threads in the bulkheads. Those.. can get screwed up.

As a general rule, I don't use locktite. Really, anywhere. I don't lose screws... But I am good at getting the torque right.
freebird, mariob62, eR1c and 3 others like this.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Will the HPI Vintage Tires fit on Protoform Vintage Wheels?
Old 11-05-2018, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by glennhl
Will the HPI Vintage Tires fit on Protoform Vintage Wheels?
yes, 100% interchangeable
glennhl likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

I use blue loctite, but only rarely, ...in fact I think I only have it on about 4 screws on my VTA car and none on my other cars (my TC, etc). I haven't had issue w/ screws coming loose, -although I do check them after each race day and notice that a few sometimes need to be tightened about a 1/4 turn or less.

This brings me to another questions along the same line ...
what do you guys do about keeping screws tight in plastic? Tamiya cars are more prone to this (so maybe I should post in another thread), ...but how would you help keep a screw snug in plastic? And, what if its an area where you may want to remove the screw(s) occasionally? I have a few cars that use a lot of plastic and I've noticed I can't get a few screws to tighten, as the plastic threads are a bit too loose.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c
I use blue loctite, but only rarely, ...in fact I think I only have it on about 4 screws on my VTA car and none on my other cars (my TC, etc). I haven't had issue w/ screws coming loose, -although I do check them after each race day and notice that a few sometimes need to be tightened about a 1/4 turn or less.

This brings me to another questions along the same line ...
what do you guys do about keeping screws tight in plastic? Tamiya cars are more prone to this (so maybe I should post in another thread), ...but how would you help keep a screw snug in plastic? And, what if its an area where you may want to remove the screw(s) occasionally? I have a few cars that use a lot of plastic and I've noticed I can't get a few screws to tighten, as the plastic threads are a bit too loose.
Are you talking about self tapping screws or machine screws? If you wallow out a machine screw hole you can usually use a self tapper to preserve the part for awhile. If you can teach yourself to rotate the screw back to the left on installation until it drops into the existing threads you will preserve the part indefinitely or until you break it. Make sure that the installation device that you use is a perfect fit for the screw which will reduce the extra pressure needed to install.
Nerobro likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

#USVTANation @ #ApexVtaMafia this past Sunday
eR1c likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:42 PM
Tech Elite

Are you talking about self tapping screws or machine screws? If you wallow out a machine screw hole you can usually use a self tapper to preserve the part for awhile. If you can teach yourself to rotate the screw back to the left on installation until it drops into the existing threads you will preserve the part indefinitely or until you break it. Make sure that the installation device that you use is a perfect fit for the screw which will reduce the extra pressure needed to install.
self tapping screws,
I am usually good most of the time, yet a few screws will always come loose on me, I think from over-use? or perhaps not threading it correctly like I think your suggesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.