Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

A Big Thank You to rctech for making posting pictures so much easier with a mobile device.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
A Big Thank You to rctech for making posting pictures so much easier with a mobile device.
Seems to work for some but not all. I was able to couple times after the update. But every try since has failed.
They do get a thumbs up for auto embedded video.
JC3 likes this.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:36 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya

Last YEAR tires. Again no swelling. These tires could last another three more race days.
The guys in my club run them on carpet like that (semi-bald) all the time. I'd say that they prefer it.

There are always going to be guys that overdo the treatments and cause the tires to swell. More is better right! lol Reasonable treatment produces excellent results on the PF's.

Old 05-17-2018, 05:00 AM
Tech Prophet

ASM and eR1c like this.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:02 AM
Tech Prophet

Pictures now working.

I’ve yet to run on carpet. I’d like to think that drivers would adjust how much compound is applied to tires. But doesn’t a lot come from what’s already soaked into carpet?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

My very limited experience on carpet(and on grey at that) has shown me that you treat the tire to keep from picking up what is already embedded on and into the surface. My first time on track with dry tires I had huge traction for about two laps and then the car just kept getting looser and looser. When I picked it up the tires had grown appreciably in circumference from pick up off the track much like real cars pick up rubber from the surface when they are below operating temperature. I was told by the "pro's" in attendance that you used WD or SXT tire cleaner to remove the build up and then added the actual goo to all or parts of the front and rear tires to improve traction. As the goo wears off the cleaning agent undercoating deters build up from the surface. The process seems to be effective as I didn't have much of a build up issue for the rest of the day.

Now we go outdoors and the parameters change but the process for most of us doesn't. Since the surface doesn't or shouldn't have any sort of "build up" from previously applied track additive or tire crutch the need to go beyond a thorough "cleaning" of the tire is the unknown or "X" factor. Since no two macadam surfaces are the same unless they are put down from the same batch and simultaneously rolled out and finished there will be a difference in the end product. All you have to do is look at a parking lot and then a tennis court to see what I mean, Both are very porous despite the appearance of smoothness. This porosity retains all sorts of airborne demons that affect available traction. Short of pressure washing a really good vacuuming would be more effective than blowing off the surface so for the most part we just mete out some sort of stickiness to try to seal the surface for the tires and then we jizz up the tires to the point that they pull the syrup off the surface further exposing underlying grit and debris that now sticks to the tires reducing co efficient of traction. Must be the tire's fault. It couldn't possibly be complancey on our part for taking the easy way out.

With the HPI tire everybody crabbed about traction roll on carpet so we glued the sidewalls. I have never heard what people did with them on pavement. Now we have a new tire(thank you again PF) that has a sidewall construction that is perfect for the "hot house orchid" racer but has swung the pendulum to the opposite extreme for outdoors. Could it be that the stiffer sidewall construction of the PF and not the actual compound is what is creating the "sunshine headache" that so many are suffering from?
Old 05-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Pictures now working.

I’ve yet to run on carpet. I’d like to think that drivers would adjust how much compound is applied to tires. But doesn’t a lot come from what’s already soaked into carpet?
What you waiting for WCRC not far from you??
Old 05-17-2018, 07:12 AM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Pictures now working.

Yes, I'd say so. However, the tires still have to be brought to the point of being conditioned and sticky. If you put unconditioned tires on the carpet it's just like putting them on ice!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:24 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by tonyd
What you waiting for WCRC not far from you??
I’ve been trying since the place opened. And relocated. Couldn’t commit to the long Sunday’s, family members health limits my time. And now with it on Saturdays, racing starts while I’m still at work. Someday I’ll get there.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Regarding VTA tires debate.

I talked with Rob about this back in February when the new rules came out. Since then I have noticed a rash of HPI tires being sold online on various forums?

The tire rule posted on the USVTA site is for USVTA SANCTIONED races. Protoform tires are the only tire to be used for any of the BIG races.

Tire usage is still at the discretion of the track director for club racing. HPI stock can be used at local tracks for club or non sanctioned racing on carpet or asphalt at the discretion of the track director.

I know a lot of racers, including myself, have a few good or new sets of HPI’s available for non sanctioned club racing. I personally have about three or four sets that are new or still in good condition that I'd like to use up.

I have a set of PF's so I'm not against the USVTA Sanctioned rule.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I’ve been trying since the place opened. And relocated. Couldn’t commit to the long Sunday’s, family members health limits my time. And now with it on Saturdays, racing starts while I’m still at work. Someday I’ll get there.
Well now atleast Sunday is a open practice day. So you can come try anytime 10-6
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 AM
Tech Regular

Pictures now working.

Not necessarily. It depends on the in door track that you are running at. At the track that I run at has the black carpet and do not allow you to run with your tires still wet with the sauce on them. They must be dry before running on the track so therefore the track has very little amount on it and that way you prep your tires on time instead at the last minute.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I race outdoors in Northern Virginia and Maryland. It is not hot yet. This tire may wear better and have decent traction once the temps come up...?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SMcD
I race outdoors in Northern Virginia and Maryland. It is not hot yet. This tire may wear better and have decent traction once the temps come up...?
Ever try tire warmers?
Old 05-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

We run on an old tennis court which has had pretty good overall traction but we are finding that as the ambient has risen traction has decreased measurably especially in the rear with the PF tires. We do not do surface prep outside of blowing it off and we do not allow tire prep at the track or basically no wet tires on the surface. They must be drier than a popcorn fart when they go on the track. Tire wear has not been an issue and despite the late day loose conditions lap times are coming down in small increments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.