Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 02:13 PM
Tech Master

So I soaked the tires in WD40 overnight, came out of the bag swollen, soft and sticky Now were getting somewhere ...
Drove down to the track for some practice, a little SXT 3.0 and off I went ... same grip level as with the HPI's, verified with consistent same laps as on Sundays Race.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

https://racepf.com/vintage-trans-am/...28-clear-body/

Old 04-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by moparSRT
So I soaked the tires in WD40 overnight, came out of the bag swollen, soft and sticky Now were getting somewhere ...
Drove down to the track for some practice, a little SXT 3.0 and off I went ... same grip level as with the HPI's, verified with consistent same laps as on Sundays Race.

Did you put it on just the tread with a brush or spray? Did you notice much tread wear after your practice?
well if that works thats good to hear

Hey this is on Page 777 , maybe we can't lose !
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT

Was this at the DDH facility or at S&S? Thx.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just placed my order
THEBIGBULL likes this.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
Did you put it on just the tread with a brush or spray? Did you notice much tread wear after your practice?
well if that works thats good to hear

Hey this is on Page 777 , maybe we can't lose !
Just the tread, like you apply SXT.
Racing on CRC BLACK carpet ... after 2 hours track time dont see any wear.

Originally Posted by ASM
Was this at the DDH facility or at S&S? Thx.
Yeah CRC Black carpet @ DDH
Old 04-18-2018, 06:17 AM
ASM
Tech Elite

Because DDH is so new, that may have been part of the problem. Once they get some good grove on the track, I think you'll find the new tires are pretty close right out of the package on the carpet. However, let me know what you think if you get it over to Ronnie's track on the sealed concrete. More input into what may work there may be helpful to all.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ASM
Because DDH is so new, that may have been part of the problem. Once they get some good grove on the track, I think you'll find the new tires are pretty close right out of the package on the carpet. However, let me know what you think if you get it over to Ronnie's track on the sealed concrete. More input into what may work there may be helpful to all.
That might be it, couldn't find any front grip, but WD40 transformed the tire overnight
ASM, massenb203 and JC3 like this.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Keep us updated on if the WD40 causes the tires to swell, please.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Keep us updated on if the WD40 causes the tires to swell, please.
If you put too much on they will swell. They have a limit. I applied mine until the tire stopped absorbing the liquid. Then they were done. Every once in a while give them a coat or two as maintenance. At least that's my experience.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:10 AM
Tech Prophet

Using the Fused app. I overlapped a run with the VTA Tires and a badly worn set of Gravity tires in my USGT car. I’ll plan to try again tonight with new set of tires on the USGT car.

massenb203 likes this.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

the premiere events for USVTA seem to be carpet, so there is no change in tires required. people running asphalt to hold yourself top a tire that requires insane chemical warfare, along with sub par performance,,,makes no sense. asphalt btw is not standardized. asphalt in Florida is different than asphalt in Kentucky, Nevada, etc. using a example that PF tires work fine where you race vs where someone else races is flawed.

it is easy for a club or track owner to make a change concerning tires by using USGT or spec TC tires on 5 spoke wheels or agreed upon wheel.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Pinkz
the premiere events for USVTA seem to be carpet, so there is no change in tires required. people running asphalt to hold yourself top a tire that requires insane chemical warfare, along with sub par performance,,,makes no sense. asphalt btw is not standardized. asphalt in Florida is different than asphalt in Kentucky, Nevada, etc. using a example that PF tires work fine where you race vs where someone else races is flawed.

it is easy for a club or track owner to make a change concerning tires by using USGT or spec TC tires on 5 spoke wheels or agreed upon wheel.
Yes the PF tires were chosen for black carpet., where the HPI compound was tweaked to work on both
Old 04-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Pinkz

True, the premier events have all become indoor carpet races. But that alone should not be a reason. The Gravity USGT Tires seem to work fine on both surfaces.
Protoform has said they could make a more asphalt friendly tire, just need an ok from the heads of VTA.

The problem is that the vast majority or racers are local. Most will likely never attend a large regional or national event. Just looking at my semi-local Chicagoland area. Three outdoor racing locations are getting ready to start up. Have to see if turnout stays same or drops. If there is a decline that can be traced to the tires performance, either real or just perceived as not as good, that’s not a good thing.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

think when HPI did their tires, probably made them for streets to begin with more than racing in mind.

i run on a 7 month old asphalt track, blown off well and sugared for races. VTA still have to sauce/soak. when doing this it also becomes luck of the draw the way the PF rubber tires react. some (not all) can become lopsided out of round, angle towards inside or out, balloon until the tires might as well say "inflate to 38 psi. not blaming PF for any of this either.

when i ran VTA only one racer had HPI, he went PF to be fair. we racers figured out the PF tires. it was a steep learning curve. newer drivers have issues driving the cars, veteran racers step up fast to let them know the tire tricks. PF making asphalt compound may help, i don't see where USVTA would have a issue with PF making a asphalt tire or PF waiting on their word? VTA tires could have a letter A tire id just as TC tires haves 32, 36, 40, etc
ImacFanatic likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.