Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
One ways are specifically forbidden in the USVTA rules. I expect that applies whether installed in the conventional manner or not. I believe that USGT is the only TC class of the two that has a provision for 2wd cars, but it states FWD. RobK monitors this thread and he might comment. While it sounds like fun, the lack of RWD cars that can mount the VTA tires makes the proposed changes difficult at best.
The idea will essentially creating a new class if it gains traction in racing but I highly doubt it will. Just exploring a novel idea and see what people's reactions and thoughts are. My idea is still using existing 4wd chassis but installing one way diffs in the front in reverse. This way the car have 4 wheel braking but only rear wheel driven.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I see a lot of talk on tires and bodies but none on 25.5 motors. So my Question is what the hottest 25.5 motor out there for vta.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

That’s pretty much the point of the 25.5 rules. To keep from having a “hot” motor. They are all so close, it is really more about the driver.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

One ways are specifically forbidden in the USVTA rules. I expect that applies whether installed in the conventional manner or not. I believe that USGT is the only TC class of the two that has a provision for 2wd cars, but it states FWD. RobK monitors this thread and he might comment. While it sounds like fun, the lack of RWD cars that can mount the VTA tires makes the proposed changes difficult at best.
Local club might not care, but for anything that counts toward points or any Official USVTA event,,, Yeah I would guess that is out.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rack
I see a lot of talk on tires and bodies but none on 25.5 motors. So my Question is what the hottest 25.5 motor out there for vta.
Ive seen most of the motors on the market win a VTA race. Pick a company you like figure out timing and gear ratio and have at it. In VTA it's more of running a mistake proof race. The smallest mistake kills momentum.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tobyzhang
Have anyone considered running 2WD for VTA instead? Recently I experimented with my TA07 using a reversed front one way unit and it worked quite well at Tamiya America. I soften both the front and rear springs using tamiya mini blue in front and tamiya mini yellow in back, and used 500 CST oil for the rear diff. The car handles just fine on track and I feel could become a fun racing class. The car got full brakes but you have to be easy on throttle to not spin the rear end around out of corners. other than that everything else handles just like a touring car. On carpet with higher grip level I feel you can still hammer the throttle pretty hard out of corners.
I have taken the front wheel drive out of my VTA before . It would be very different to drive . It would be Fun but it would be kind of a builders class where you have to convert current TC cars to RWD.
It could replicate a different class such as IMSA class or under 2 litre trans am class.

Be careful though you will get a lot scorn suggesting another class
hotrodchevy14 and tobyzhang like this.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rack
I highly suggest going with a Motiv MC2
Old 11-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Lone Drifter,
We briefly had a class where the only rule was "you have to run VTA tires". Motors, batteries, chassis, and everything else was open. To my surprise, everyone ended up running TCs with 21.5 or 17.5 motors.
Lone Drifter likes this.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
Ive seen most of the motors on the market win a VTA race. Pick a company you like figure out timing and gear ratio and have at it. In VTA it's more of running a mistake proof race. The smallest mistake kills momentum.
Said the guy who has tried every motor. Lol
Old 11-10-2017, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Lone Drifter,
We briefly had a class where the only rule was "you have to run VTA tires". Motors, batteries, chassis, and everything else was open. To my surprise, everyone ended up running TCs with 21.5 or 17.5 motors.
17.5 and VTA tires ........ Might have been a Handful
well TC cars are popular for a reason .
NutDriver likes this.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tried the Protoform VTA tires on the YD2TC. Won’t fit with stock wheel hexes. Offset is wrong
Old 11-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter
17.5 and VTA tires ........ Might have been a Handful
well TC cars are popular for a reason .

What he meant was people were using TC chassis, with various bodies & VTA tires w/ 17.5 or 21.5 motors. I was in that series and won 3 of the series races running a 21.5 motor. The VTA tires just couldn't quite put the 17.5 power down consistently.

We were speculating that some people might try to adapt the VTA tires to other types of chassis (pan cars, Minis, 1/14 scale chassis, etc). A few people tried but weren't successful.

It was our attempt to show that 'traction limited' racing can be fun and relatively inexpensive. But it turned out the finishing order was pretty much the same (the fast guys were fast and the slow guys were slow), so the slow guys left to attempt to create some other class where they'd dominate.

MC
tobyzhang likes this.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
Tried the Protoform VTA tires on the YD2TC. Won’t fit with stock wheel hexes. Offset is wrong
Ran into this issue with the TA-05 as well. Little wider hex, some lo-profile wheels nuts, and a little sanding to the UCA cups should get the clearance I need.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scirocco14

What he meant was people were using TC chassis, with various bodies & VTA tires w/ 17.5 or 21.5 motors. I was in that series and won 3 of the series races running a 21.5 motor. The VTA tires just couldn't quite put the 17.5 power down consistently.

We were speculating that some people might try to adapt the VTA tires to other types of chassis (pan cars, Minis, 1/14 scale chassis, etc). A few people tried but weren't successful.

It was our attempt to show that 'traction limited' racing can be fun and relatively inexpensive. But it turned out the finishing order was pretty much the same (the fast guys were fast and the slow guys were slow), so the slow guys left to attempt to create some other class where they'd dominate.

MC
Yes , i think a class like that where the cars are not hooked up are a lot of fun .
This summer I race at a charity race where the surface was old school loose dirt. It was the most fun I had in along time . Cars like that really make you learn throttle control.

There are alot of good ideas out there for racing classes but only so much time and money to do them.
NutDriver and scirocco14 like this.

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 11-10-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

A friend had one of the old BUD'S 1/18th scale cars that was basically folded kydex. We used to run on his kitchen floor. Throttle control was paramount. We had a ball.
Lone Drifter likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.