Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
46
30.67%
HPI
104
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3731Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 11-09-2017, 09:13 PM
  #10966  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (15)
 
tobyzhang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: chino hills/Irvine
Posts: 655
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
One ways are specifically forbidden in the USVTA rules. I expect that applies whether installed in the conventional manner or not. I believe that USGT is the only TC class of the two that has a provision for 2wd cars, but it states FWD. RobK monitors this thread and he might comment. While it sounds like fun, the lack of RWD cars that can mount the VTA tires makes the proposed changes difficult at best.
The idea will essentially creating a new class if it gains traction in racing but I highly doubt it will. Just exploring a novel idea and see what people's reactions and thoughts are. My idea is still using existing 4wd chassis but installing one way diffs in the front in reverse. This way the car have 4 wheel braking but only rear wheel driven.
tobyzhang is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 AM
  #10967  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (68)
 
rack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 561
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Default

I see a lot of talk on tires and bodies but none on 25.5 motors. So my Question is what the hottest 25.5 motor out there for vta.
rack is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 03:53 AM
  #10968  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (66)
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 3,629
Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default

That’s pretty much the point of the 25.5 rules. To keep from having a “hot” motor. They are all so close, it is really more about the driver.
theproffesor is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:33 AM
  #10969  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
One ways are specifically forbidden in the USVTA rules. I expect that applies whether installed in the conventional manner or not. I believe that USGT is the only TC class of the two that has a provision for 2wd cars, but it states FWD. RobK monitors this thread and he might comment. While it sounds like fun, the lack of RWD cars that can mount the VTA tires makes the proposed changes difficult at best.
Local club might not care, but for anything that counts toward points or any Official USVTA event,,, Yeah I would guess that is out.
snoopyrc is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:21 AM
  #10970  
Tech Master
iTrader: (19)
 
vivo quevas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central, Ca.
Posts: 1,351
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rack View Post
I see a lot of talk on tires and bodies but none on 25.5 motors. So my Question is what the hottest 25.5 motor out there for vta.
Ive seen most of the motors on the market win a VTA race. Pick a company you like figure out timing and gear ratio and have at it. In VTA it's more of running a mistake proof race. The smallest mistake kills momentum.
vivo quevas is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM
  #10971  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by tobyzhang View Post
Have anyone considered running 2WD for VTA instead? Recently I experimented with my TA07 using a reversed front one way unit and it worked quite well at Tamiya America. I soften both the front and rear springs using tamiya mini blue in front and tamiya mini yellow in back, and used 500 CST oil for the rear diff. The car handles just fine on track and I feel could become a fun racing class. The car got full brakes but you have to be easy on throttle to not spin the rear end around out of corners. other than that everything else handles just like a touring car. On carpet with higher grip level I feel you can still hammer the throttle pretty hard out of corners.
I have taken the front wheel drive out of my VTA before . It would be very different to drive . It would be Fun but it would be kind of a builders class where you have to convert current TC cars to RWD.
It could replicate a different class such as IMSA class or under 2 litre trans am class.

Be careful though you will get a lot scorn suggesting another class
hotrodchevy14 and tobyzhang like this.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 09:28 AM
  #10972  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (115)
 
hotrodchevy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,549
Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rack View Post
I see a lot of talk on tires and bodies but none on 25.5 motors. So my Question is what the hottest 25.5 motor out there for vta.
I highly suggest going with a Motiv MC2
hotrodchevy14 is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 10:22 AM
  #10973  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,969
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Lone Drifter,
We briefly had a class where the only rule was "you have to run VTA tires". Motors, batteries, chassis, and everything else was open. To my surprise, everyone ended up running TCs with 21.5 or 17.5 motors.
Lone Drifter likes this.
NutDriver is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:09 AM
  #10974  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (95)
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,837
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Ive seen most of the motors on the market win a VTA race. Pick a company you like figure out timing and gear ratio and have at it. In VTA it's more of running a mistake proof race. The smallest mistake kills momentum.
Said the guy who has tried every motor. Lol
Josh-n-ya is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:17 AM
  #10975  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Lone Drifter,
We briefly had a class where the only rule was "you have to run VTA tires". Motors, batteries, chassis, and everything else was open. To my surprise, everyone ended up running TCs with 21.5 or 17.5 motors.
17.5 and VTA tires ........ Might have been a Handful
well TC cars are popular for a reason .
NutDriver likes this.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:26 AM
  #10976  
Tech Prophet
iTrader: (9)
 
Billy Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Far south suburbs of Chicago area
Posts: 16,917
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Tried the Protoform VTA tires on the YD2TC. Won’t fit with stock wheel hexes. Offset is wrong
Billy Kelly is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:44 AM
  #10977  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (5)
 
scirocco14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 693
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Drifter View Post
17.5 and VTA tires ........ Might have been a Handful
well TC cars are popular for a reason .

What he meant was people were using TC chassis, with various bodies & VTA tires w/ 17.5 or 21.5 motors. I was in that series and won 3 of the series races running a 21.5 motor. The VTA tires just couldn't quite put the 17.5 power down consistently.

We were speculating that some people might try to adapt the VTA tires to other types of chassis (pan cars, Minis, 1/14 scale chassis, etc). A few people tried but weren't successful.

It was our attempt to show that 'traction limited' racing can be fun and relatively inexpensive. But it turned out the finishing order was pretty much the same (the fast guys were fast and the slow guys were slow), so the slow guys left to attempt to create some other class where they'd dominate.

MC
tobyzhang likes this.
scirocco14 is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 11:50 AM
  #10978  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 61
Default

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly View Post
Tried the Protoform VTA tires on the YD2TC. Won’t fit with stock wheel hexes. Offset is wrong
Ran into this issue with the TA-05 as well. Little wider hex, some lo-profile wheels nuts, and a little sanding to the UCA cups should get the clearance I need.
Helios is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:39 PM
  #10979  
Tech Master
 
Lone Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 1,268
Default

Originally Posted by scirocco14 View Post


What he meant was people were using TC chassis, with various bodies & VTA tires w/ 17.5 or 21.5 motors. I was in that series and won 3 of the series races running a 21.5 motor. The VTA tires just couldn't quite put the 17.5 power down consistently.

We were speculating that some people might try to adapt the VTA tires to other types of chassis (pan cars, Minis, 1/14 scale chassis, etc). A few people tried but weren't successful.

It was our attempt to show that 'traction limited' racing can be fun and relatively inexpensive. But it turned out the finishing order was pretty much the same (the fast guys were fast and the slow guys were slow), so the slow guys left to attempt to create some other class where they'd dominate.

MC
Yes , i think a class like that where the cars are not hooked up are a lot of fun .
This summer I race at a charity race where the surface was old school loose dirt. It was the most fun I had in along time . Cars like that really make you learn throttle control.

There are alot of good ideas out there for racing classes but only so much time and money to do them.
NutDriver and scirocco14 like this.

Last edited by Lone Drifter; 11-10-2017 at 05:55 PM.
Lone Drifter is offline  
Old 11-10-2017, 05:51 PM
  #10980  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (26)
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,969
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

A friend had one of the old BUD'S 1/18th scale cars that was basically folded kydex. We used to run on his kitchen floor. Throttle control was paramount. We had a ball.
Lone Drifter likes this.
NutDriver is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.