Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Good question, I've wondered the same thing...
Old 06-16-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Elite

Depends on what you mean by "bath", immersed in the actual acetone, or like a vapor sealed container ? I've had experience with the chrome blistering on the wheels, if that helps. I just cut the old tires off with an X-acto knife the best I can and use a Dremel with a grinding/cutting disc to get the rest. works for me.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by trytowin
Depends on what you mean by "bath", immersed in the actual acetone, or like a vapor sealed container ? I've had experience with the chrome blistering on the wheels, if that helps. I just cut the old tires off with an X-acto knife the best I can and use a Dremel with a grinding/cutting disc to get the rest. works for me.

I was thinking to soak them in a shallow tub enough to cover one side at a time for a little while just to soften up what is left after cutting the tire off. Then using a dremel with a stiff wire wheel to remove the residuals.

How long did you soak and observed blistering of the chrome? I use the matte chrome wheels so they may not blister as bad or at all?

Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TXBandit
I was thinking to soak them in a shallow tub enough to cover one side at a time for a little while just to soften up what is left after cutting the tire off. Then using a dremel with a stiff wire wheel to remove the residuals.

How long did you soak and observed blistering of the chrome? I use the matte chrome wheels so they may not blister as bad or at all?

Good point, mine were the full bright chrome wheels. I put them in a sealed container with acetone and just let the vapors do the work. The tire/wheels never came into contact with the fluid.

From what I remember it was about 6 hours in the container (Tupperware) and noticed the chrome was beginning to blister. The tires did come off easy, with only a little left on the wheels, but the wheels were trashed after that. So now I use the dry method as described previously.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I use acetone and it did mess with the chrome and the matte chrome but I shoot em black lately so no biggie for me. I leave em in over nite and have even let em go for days and the plastic holds up.
Good question to ask tho since many wheels do not hold up to acetone.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Here is what I think works the best, or at least for me. I bake them in my over at 250 degrees for about 30 minutes. I pull them out and check them. The tire should break apart from the wheel easily. If not, put them back in for a bit longer. The heat will break down the CA.

Try it, just don't do it at such a hight temp that it melts the tires. I have done this with 4 sets and it works great.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
What is the economy version of the t4?

Dave
Don't know much about it. I just assumed that they made a sport version like they did with the T3. It was the same deal as the other kits where it's the same design but with less expensive materials. They are not as good as their more expensive counterparts no matter if it's the T4 or the Spec-R or the Sakura, but VTA does not expose the limits of the cheaper materials so it works pretty good. I think Serpent even has a cheaper version of the S411. Not sure if the BD7 Sport is out yet or not.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
I use acetone and it did mess with the chrome and the matte chrome but I shoot em black lately so no biggie for me. I leave em in over nite and have even let em go for days and the plastic holds up.
Good question to ask tho since many wheels do not hold up to acetone.
Did you use the acetone fume method or the acetone dip/soak method?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I acteone'd tires off my dyed wheels and they (and the dye) held up fine after being submerged for 24 hours. FWIW, I suspect that tires could've been removed after a few hours. I've also done the same for chrome plated HPI wheels and the chrome starts to flake off. So does the paint. FYI...
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Meradin
Here is what I think works the best, or at least for me. I bake them in my over at 250 degrees for about 30 minutes. I pull them out and check them. The tire should break apart from the wheel easily. If not, put them back in for a bit longer. The heat will break down the CA.

Try it, just don't do it at such a hight temp that it melts the tires. I have done this with 4 sets and it works great.
Interesting.. I'll have to give that a try first.. I have a spare set of wheels anyways... living in a man cave, the oven is not off limits to non-food items.. I've baked firearm parts in mine before...
Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thumbs up, Bandit!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Champion

any of you guys coming to Indy June 28th for this event and run some VTA and GT
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-flyer_final02_zps2c898d3b.jpg  
Old 06-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
any of you guys coming to Indy June 28th for this event and run some VTA and GT
Is it just a one night event?
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Champion

i believe so...
Old 06-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashdriver
Did you use the acetone fume method or the acetone dip/soak method?
I bought a gallon of acetone for multipurpose use and also picked up a new empty paint can at Home Depot so I put a couple inches of acetone in the paint can and drop the wheels/tires in and pull em out the next day, if I remember. Which reminds me I've, had some in for a couple days now so, gotta go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.