Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

17 VTA cars last night racing. 9 in our outlaw class and 8 true USVTA cars.
USVTA guys inverted the field with a rolling start in the reverse direction..having fun
Outlaw guys tried a 2x2 rolling start (first time) it was fun but tough.
GOOD TIMES FOR SURE !!

Looking forward to April !!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

14 usvta's in Ft Wayne last night. I know of five guys that are regulars that didn't show. Class is growing crazy fast! In two weeks we are having a trophy race if anyone can make it! Summit RC Raceway.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

AMain Hobbies has the Speed Passion Certix series " Stock Club Race " sensored ESCs marked down to $49.99 right now. I run one in my GT21.5 car and like it alot. Very smooth throttle and plenty of brakes. I just ordered one to replace the edge in my VTA car.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Speed-Control
Old 12-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by alloyslash
AMain Hobbies has the Speed Passion Certix series " Stock Club Race " sensored ESCs marked down to $49.99 right now...
Right now you can get the SP Cirtix Stock Club ESC direct from Speed Passion USA for $41.40.

Just click on the pic below to go directly to their web page.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

or, for only $1.44 more, you can get the SP Reventon Stock Club ESC.

Click on the pic below to go direct to their web page.

Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default awesome

Originally Posted by team mopar
14 usvta's in Ft Wayne last night. I know of five guys that are regulars that didn't show. Class is growing crazy fast! In two weeks we are having a trophy race if anyone can make it! Summit RC Raceway.
yep in march they will be hosting a national usvta race also.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Right now you can get the SP Cirtix Stock Club ESC direct from Speed Passion USA for $41.40.

Just click on the pic below to go directly to their web page.

Yea thats cool. AMain has free shipping and SP charges $7.25, so its nearly a wash. Bottom line is that there is a few good deals around right now for people looking to get into the class, changing out one, or getting a spare for the pitbag .
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello, I am new here. Considering getting into VTA.

I spent 10 years flying RC, playing with Boats, various cars, have a couple of Slash 2wd VXL that my son and I bash around with.

Reading over the Rules for VTA - I see 4WD Touring Chassis Only - I am confused as to why since none of the real Trans Am Cars were 4WD. I know I am ignorant but this is kind of funny. Imagine what a TA340 would have been like with AWD - LOL.

So why AWD for TA ?

Question 2 - for a totally new person, is one chassis more forgiving or easier to setup than another?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's a question that will answer itself as you discover how the class developed, but let me prep you by saying that there was an abundance of slightly outdated touring cars out there sitting on the shelves of racers everywhere. They were all 4wd. Or more than 99% were. Then HPI comes out with a line of wheels/tires and bodies that are made to go together. A few clubs in differrent places wanted to try something different and all the parts were there. So RC sports car racing began to evolve at different places including some series that were setup to look like the early days of TransAm racing. There is a lot more to how it came to it's current format, but unless you enjoy reading through page after page of repeating mind numbing bickering I would suggest that you simply enjoy the class as it is today and don't look back.
I don't mean that to sound sharp, but there is a lot of material on here that would discourage a new VTA racer and that's a shame because this is the best class of onroad there is. Just my opinion. I think there is some history on the official usvta website that would be more condensed and also void of much useless chatter.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Hey SwanTrevor, I was the same as you three years ago. 20 years of flying only, a few boats and some off-road racing. Then, I saw VTA run at the local track. It was the class I'd been looking for that I didn't know existed! It's what got me interested in on-road. Take Snoop's advice, just enjoy the class and learn the history as time goes on. Real Trans Am cars were not electric powered either.

Speaking of electric. I just bought a new Novak Ballistic 25.5. I'm building a second VTA car. Do our brushless motors have any kind of break in period? I guess not since the bearings are the only true friction point. I think I know the answer to my question. The only other thing you could do is run them at a lower temp intially? Break in on a nitro engine is such a careful process in comparison.

Last edited by IndyHobbies.com; 12-30-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Here is the main starting line up. We started with 7 cars but lost one due to motor issues.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)

We had 13 car field in Champaign Urbana IL at Hotslot hobbies last night as well!

Regarding the Revention ESC from SpeedPassion. I am not going to talk down about any products online, but I ran mine for the first time last night and it did not perform that great. It ran really hot with the 25.5, cut out a few times and had no bottom end and no brakes... I will play with some setup changes on the esc but I was only geared at 4.0 FDR...

Any thoughts?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JFuel11
We had 13 car field in Champaign Urbana IL at Hotslot hobbies last night as well!

Regarding the Revention ESC from SpeedPassion. I am not going to talk down about any products online, but I ran mine for the first time last night and it did not perform that great. It ran really hot with the 25.5, cut out a few times and had no bottom end and no brakes... I will play with some setup changes on the esc but I was only geared at 4.0 FDR...

Any thoughts?
We have a guy at our track that had a SP and it didnt work too well with the Novak. I believe he talked to the Novak guys at the USVTA Southern Nats and they confirmed there was some compatibility issues. At one point it wouldnt even start unless it was pushed. He changed sensor wires and even sensor boards and it was still a no go.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

We had a 12 car VTA class at Mike's Hobby Shop in Carrollton TX and you should have seen the crowd form when we started! 12 cars on the track at the same time was a blast!

Last edited by mkiiina; 12-30-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does the Reventon club or Citrix club have any reported compatibility issues? What is the difference between the two?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.