Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Master

here is my f1r2 setup for parking lot racing ...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w3r3l8f8j9sk1s7/f1r22.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g05no5ltq8gy51f/f1r21.jpg
Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Nice, looks like almost a clone setup of mines. Same electronics layout, R-sector wide setup, and steel shaft/counterweight. Even the stock arms and Xray servo saver!

I'm removing the wide setup though. I need a trailing axle setup for the front.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dan
Nice, looks like almost a clone setup of mines. Same electronics layout, R-sector wide setup, and steel shaft/counterweight. Even the stock arms and Xray servo saver!

I'm removing the wide setup though. I need a trailing axle setup for the front.
on my next set of tires i am gluing them on exotek rims and i might remove the widening kit ...even tho the car was really good the last race .
Old 07-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Where does one get the widening kit?
Old 07-02-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ngo8
Hey mike i was just wondering with the adjustable front end when you measure caster on the setup station do you use some kind of a caster doodle or do you eyeball it.. i cant get it where i am comfortable that if i set it at 2 degrees that its actually 2 degrees any tip or help would be great or just make caster doodle for us to make life easier .....By the way i ran the f1R2 this past weekend on parking lot white asphalt ...very loose ..used some tips including the stock kit tires upfront and it was amazing... car worked flawless thanks for everything. ...by the end of the day guys where looking in there pit boxes for there kit tires cause it worked so well
Hi! Kit tires FTW!

Yes, you would have to use a camber gauge with the wheel off and see how the pin lines up regarding the caster. There are some sedan tools for caster checking but they are all clunky. Eyeball is still the way.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by J-PaP
Hi Mike,

Noticed your new diff assembly available on the website. Wondering if there's any issues with dirt getting between the concave disks and affecting diff smoothness with all the holes machined into the assembly?

None the less I've got a set on order to try soon.

Guessing an F1R2 complete kit can't be too far away once the IFS is out? Not exactly many parts left from a f104 now.
Hi,
The wheel and outter bearing covers up the the thrust and washers so no issues with that
Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Champion

Aaron Lane getting it done... TQ and win at the BFTR VIII race in SoCal.

F1R2's finished 1,2 & 5.
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-img_2359.jpg  
Old 07-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Boostinswifty38
Hey guys looking to figure out the setup on my f1r2, and am trying to understand some setup options. Moving the rear pod to the rear mount holes, the top deck for the pod to main spring back and forth, etc. What does that all do? I have only really understood sedan chassis setups. Trying to find more info on these options
Short wheelbase might give you more on power traction but less stable mid corner (or more responsive depending on how you look at it lol). Opposite for longer wheelbase.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 AM
Tech Master

I see the pic above looks like he's running the ifs? What rear wing is that?

Car was great last night. Amazing how when traction would come up the car would go away quickly. I was TQ by a lap in first qual, running a 9.8 to their 10.1 and 10.4. Second qual, car had tons of steering and rear would suffer because of it. Lost TQ, we all got quicker. My 9.4 now, to their 9.6. Race time, I went to the golds on the front steering kingpins, from silvers. Still copper side springs, still neon yellow center spring. Car at this point couldn't corner without picking up the inside tires. Traction roll. How can I tune that out? Back to soft fronts? Stiffer side springs?
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I race my F1R last week in a F1RC series race the car ran great I had my best F1 race qualified 3rd in the first round broke my carbon fiber axle in the second round while running 3rd. In the main started 5th finished 2nd. Ran the kit setup car handled great much better then my F104v2.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
Aaron Lane getting it done... TQ and win at the BFTR VIII race in SoCal.

F1R2's finished 1,2 & 5.
Nice to see a Ferrari up front again
Old 07-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

I see the pic above looks like he's running the ifs? What rear wing is that?

Car was great last night. Amazing how when traction would come up the car would go away quickly. I was TQ by a lap in first qual, running a 9.8 to their 10.1 and 10.4. Second qual, car had tons of steering and rear would suffer because of it. Lost TQ, we all got quicker. My 9.4 now, to their 9.6. Race time, I went to the golds on the front steering kingpins, from silvers. Still copper side springs, still neon yellow center spring. Car at this point couldn't corner without picking up the inside tires. Traction roll. How can I tune that out? Back to soft fronts? Stiffer side springs?
The rear wing is the F60 wing with Tuning Huas carbon side plates
I will let mike make a comment about the first question..

What kind of surface are you racing on? I would assume carpet if the car is traction rolling and lifting the inside tire. I don't know a lot about the Tamiya springs and find i am most comfortable with the Associated 0.016 front springs and Associated black side springs. If youre running on asphalt i really like the stock Associated Silver spring and the same 0.016 front. typically from my experience a stiffer side spring will settle the car down in the corner.

Also one thing to consider: if your main shock is too stiff it can cause the car to roll more in the side suspension. if the shock is so stiff that it will not let the car transfer weight front to rear, the only place that the car can get rid of that energy is through pushing on the side springs. To counter this I run a really soft main spring and find that the car drives a lot flatter because it can transfer weight and let the car work more mechanically. I run the Tamiya flouresent red spring (looks like orange to me) with 20 weight Associated oil. It sounds really light but I have found it to work well most everywhere.

Originally Posted by Pipe Killer
Nice to see a Ferrari up front again
hahaha thanks and its even a step nose at that!!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

I go back n forth with that flourescent red/orange spring and the neon yellow spring-currently on yellow. Copper side springs (softest I believe) and gold front springs (stiffest).
Old 07-03-2014, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wheelz
The rear wing is the F60 wing with Tuning Huas carbon side plates
I will let mike make a comment about the first question..

What kind of surface are you racing on? I would assume carpet if the car is traction rolling and lifting the inside tire. I don't know a lot about the Tamiya springs and find i am most comfortable with the Associated 0.016 front springs and Associated black side springs. If youre running on asphalt i really like the stock Associated Silver spring and the same 0.016 front. typically from my experience a stiffer side spring will settle the car down in the corner.

Also one thing to consider: if your main shock is too stiff it can cause the car to roll more in the side suspension. if the shock is so stiff that it will not let the car transfer weight front to rear, the only place that the car can get rid of that energy is through pushing on the side springs. To counter this I run a really soft main spring and find that the car drives a lot flatter because it can transfer weight and let the car work more mechanically. I run the Tamiya flouresent red spring (looks like orange to me) with 20 weight Associated oil. It sounds really light but I have found it to work well most everywhere.

hahaha thanks and its even a step nose at that!!
Hi! is it possible to get an under the hood shot of you're car.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Where does one get the widening kit?
TQRC has it. Its made by R-sector. If you're interested, I'll sell mines for $30 shipped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.