Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
See my previous post..
Something is up with the arms.
The plastic balls are no better...still way too tight.

I have current email communication with Mike on the issue (he is looking into it).

I went as far as sanding down a brand new set of coated Tamiya balls..only to destroy them by the time I was able to get them to fit in the arm (they ended up flat sided).
No worries...I'll hang tight.

I double checked that I hadn't seated them too far, or not far enough. Both sides are binding (really tight) the same way, so I think they are installed correctly. There is no way you could begin to get the lower ball mixed up, it's a mm or two larger. I gotta be doing something wrong, the spare arm I tried is binding to...

Edit: Just popped in some plastic balls and the same issue. Dang...hate to put the old front end on here.

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Yep. The body sits on top of the chassis at the front. Just trim the bottom of the body slightly so it still sits at the same height.

I'll check the inserts and get back to you.
Thanks Rick for the clarification on the body. The quality of the Exotek stuff is stunningly good.

Last edited by celt; 12-25-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by celt
No worries...I'll hang tight.

I double checked that I hadn't seated them too far, or not far enough. Both sides are binding (really tight) the same way, so I think they are installed correctly. There is no way you could begin to get the lower ball mixed up, it's a mm or two larger. I gotta be doing something wrong, the spare arm I tried is binding to...

Edit: Just popped in some plastic balls and the same issue. Dang...hate to put the old front end on here.
Yep..same deal. Getting the upper and lower balls mixed up is an impossibly. Plastic balls are just as tight (as they should be=same diameter). Don't know bud. It's hanging up a build for me too. Gonna have to hang the 104 front so I can race this weekend. I am sure he will have some good info for us soon after the holiday.He has promptly responded to all of my emails.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi All,

Hope you had Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

If you had issues with the December batch of F104 arms please shoot me an email for customer service on it;

performance at exotekracing.com

Thanks!

m
Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ran my f1r2 for the first time today at our large asphalt track. Such a massive improvement over the X1 straight out of the box, better than the x1 with a years worth of setup and tuning.
More low and high speed turning and more rear drive. Actually need to tighten the diff more as its now single spinning out of every corner.
Thank you for such a great product!
Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Double post

Last edited by Monsta; 12-26-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Hi All,

Hope you had Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.

If you had issues with the December batch of F104 arms please shoot me an email for customer service on it;

performance at exotekracing.com

Thanks!

m
Mike..
Thanks for quickly finding the issue and correcting it.
Great customer service!

Email communication was second to none.
New car looks great btw...big fan.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Expecting delivery of an F1R2 in the mail today! Cant wait to go home and build. Sadly the car is not for me but for a friend. I offered to build and tune it for him free of charge and he took me up on the offer. He ordered the conversion from TQRC and a used F104 as a doner and had everything drop shipped to me. I plan on assembling tonight and racing it tomorrow to "dial it in for him". Purely scientific R&D, I take no pleasure in this task

Chances are I will become hooked on the Exotek product like always and order one for myself but this is a great way to test the water without taking a plunge.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I can't wait to see it tomorrow!! I didn't get it for Christmas but I'm planning on ordering one!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer robert
Expecting delivery of an F1R2 in the mail today! Cant wait to go home and build. Sadly the car is not for me but for a friend. I offered to build and tune it for him free of charge and he took me up on the offer. He ordered the conversion from TQRC and a used F104 as a doner and had everything drop shipped to me. I plan on assembling tonight and racing it tomorrow to "dial it in for him". Purely scientific R&D, I take no pleasure in this task

Chances are I will become hooked on the Exotek product like always and order one for myself but this is a great way to test the water without taking a plunge.
please post your set up , spring, oil, grease etc when your done !
Old 12-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monsta
Ran my f1r2 for the first time today at our large asphalt track. Such a massive improvement over the X1 straight out of the box, better than the x1 with a years worth of setup and tuning.
More low and high speed turning and more rear drive. Actually need to tighten the diff more as its now single spinning out of every corner.
Thank you for such a great product!
Awesome! That's what we like to hear.

Originally Posted by j.d.roost
Mike..
Thanks for quickly finding the issue and correcting it.
Great customer service!

Email communication was second to none.
New car looks great btw...big fan.
Any time my friend.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Got to drive a F1R2 today build by racer Robert , car was like driving a wgt even with basic stock tamiya front end. NICE JOB Exotek
idbdoug
Old 12-29-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikpiz
please post your set up , spring, oil, grease etc when your done !
Will do but its still a work in progress. I raced with it yesterday and am extremely pleased already. Compared to my f104 prov2 this car's front end is just nailed to the carpet! I have only made a few adjustments so far and they where all to reduce turn in and it still turns like its on rails.

There are a few really nice features I noticed during the build. The pivot balls are finished well and have a slick coating on them for free pod articulation and ease of assembly. The etched exotek logos on the pod bulkheads not only look cool but I believe they are functional too. They provide more traction for the motor screws so in a big impact the motor is less likely to slide. The matte finish on the carbon parts is a really nice touch too.

Will probably return to the track on Monday evening to finalize tuning of this wonderful chassis.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am loving mine too. Way better than my F104WGP>X1 ever was right out of the box. It had a slight push entering a fast sweeper but was so planted everywhere else. It's a nice ride.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Will do but its still a work in progress. I raced with it yesterday and am extremely pleased already. Compared to my f104 prov2 this car's front end is just nailed to the carpet! I have only made a few adjustments so far and they where all to reduce turn in and it still turns like its on rails.

There are a few really nice features I noticed during the build. The pivot balls are finished well and have a slick coating on them for free pod articulation and ease of assembly. The etched exotek logos on the pod bulkheads not only look cool but I believe they are functional too. They provide more traction for the motor screws so in a big impact the motor is less likely to slide. The matte finish on the carbon parts is a really nice touch too.

Will probably return to the track on Monday evening to finalize tuning of this wonderful chassis.
Originally Posted by Pipe Killer
I am loving mine too. Way better than my F104WGP>X1 ever was right out of the box. It had a slight push entering a fast sweeper but was so planted everywhere else. It's a nice ride.

What front end are you guys running? Hope to order mine next week pending the sale of my V2!
Old 12-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

Ordered mine at TQ today , can't wait to have it ! i'll make a special project for this chassis for rcf1.fr, surprise , surprise !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.