Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Hi There
1. The center associated pivot works best if it is snug but not tight on the chassis. If it pivots or slides a little then that is right. It keeps the suspension pod from binding.
2. As long as they don't rub anything it is fine.
3. Some like the inner hole so that it touches the carbon instead of side links. Inner hole just makes the spring act like they are softer.
4 As Serzoni said- for IFS only.
Yesterday I almost finished my F1R3, i checked again the center pivot issue, there was a gap of 0.5 mm between the plastic bit and the carbon pod I have added a 0.5 mm shim between the pod and the plastic pivot center housing and now there is no play. It is properly smooth and I have not tighten the screws so the nuts still slides a bit

I am using the side stiffeners with the kingpin suspension so i have had to use plastic spacers instead of the aluminium ones in order to obtain the same height for the ball.
Once i had more time i will buy another lower arm Tamiya part and I will file it so i can use the blue spacer.

I am really wiling to use the car for the very first time on the UK nationals this weekend. the car fells great and it seems to be an improvement over my previous car.

Best regards
javier
Old 01-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
I can't wait to try out the IFS and get F1 going again at our track.
Help!!
I need help with what I need to do for my rear diff. It was a disaster tonight. Ultimately the diff was either locked solid or so loose the spur just spun. I took the diff apart and compared it to a stock F104 manual and the parts I have do not match whatsoever.

I want to start from scratch with whatever is best. I do have an Exotek F1 spur and ceramic 3mm balls that I have not installed yet so let's start from there.

Can one of the experts out there tell me exactly what I need to have a rock solid diff?

As an FYI, I did have a few 1/12 scale guys look at the diff any they couldn't figure out what was going on. If I/they had to guess, I'm just missing parts. I basically have a standard bearing, two cone washers and a nut. That is all.... manual shows a thrust bearing that I don't have.

Any help is appreciated on what you experts run for the diff
Old 01-06-2017, 09:38 PM
Tech Adept

Here's a diagram of the rear diff:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...104prodiff.jpg

From your description, it seems like you're missing BA21. You'll need that. The diagram also shows that BA17 is a 5x11 standard bearing; I would replace that with a thrust bearing. BA16, the 8x12 standard bearing can remain as-is.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by viking44
Here's a diagram of the rear diff:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...104prodiff.jpg

From your description, it seems like you're missing BA21. You'll need that. The diagram also shows that BA17 is a 5x11 standard bearing; I would replace that with a thrust bearing. BA16, the 8x12 standard bearing can remain as-is.
Thanks for the clarification. Thrust bearing has been ordered and will hopefully be here before Friday so I can get an actual test run in.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Be sure, when installing the BA20 shims, that they are installed like this )(
This is very important when using a thrust bearing.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

does anybody knows if the machined spurs are going to be back in stock in 93T??
I really need them as i can not make my diff work properly with the tamiya spur adapter 54215.
Best regards
Javier
Old 01-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimjav
does anybody knows if the machined spurs are going to be back in stock in 93T??
I really need them as i can not make my diff work properly with the tamiya spur adapter 54215.
Best regards
Javier
It's discontinued.

Wrong size diff balls?

The F104 is a good diff when built right so it really should be working great.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:53 AM
Tech Adept

It's discontinued.

Wrong size diff balls?

The F104 is a good diff when built right so it really should be working great.
That is bad news

I was using a Kimbrough spur with the tamiya adapter and 1/8" diff balls. The feeling was good on hand but, when the car was on track it was slipping. We check the diff twice and despite having a good feeling using both hand to catch the rear tires and it was hard (almost impossible) to move the spur with the right thumb but on track you could listen the car loosing traction, and see it.
I put in that moment a Exotek spur (and 3mm diff balls) and the diff went alive and traction was not a problem anymore.

Do we have any other option?

best regards
Javier
Old 01-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

That is bad news

I was using a Kimbrough spur with the tamiya adapter and 1/8" diff balls. The feeling was good on hand but, when the car was on track it was slipping. We check the diff twice and despite having a good feeling using both hand to catch the rear tires and it was hard (almost impossible) to move the spur with the right thumb but on track you could listen the car loosing traction, and see it.
I put in that moment a Exotek spur (and 3mm diff balls) and the diff went alive and traction was not a problem anymore.

best regards
Javier
Hmm interesting. This is on carpet? For carpet the F103 thrust set with heavy lube was the preferred set up, it creates less 'diffing out'. The standard F104 thrust set gives more traction on asphalt.

The 97t is still in stock if you can change your ratios.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

That is bad news

best regards
Javier
Hmm interesting. This is on carpet? For carpet the F103 thrust set with heavy lube was the preferred set up, it creates less 'diffing out'. The standard F104 thrust set gives more traction on asphalt.

Javier - you described the exact scenario I was battling last Friday night. I too was running a Kimbrough spur, adapter and 1/8 diff balls.

I switched over to the 97T Exotek spur and 3mm balls and the problem went away (although based on the suggestions above, I ordered a thrust bearing that will be here today) but not sure if it was the F103 or F104.

Anxious to give it another shakedown this weekend.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default F-1 NW 2017 Carpet GP Invite

FYI
Originally Posted by HeliYogi
F-1 + Le Mans... Get them ready N' see you then!

Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM
Tech Adept

Yep, on Carpet, during this weekend BRCA nationals.
X-Factory UK seems to have 97T spurs on stock, I will order some for spares as well.

Many thanks Mike

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
Javier - you described the exact scenario I was battling last Friday night. I too was running a Kimbrough spur, adapter and 1/8 diff balls.

I switched over to the 97T Exotek spur and 3mm balls and the problem went away (although based on the suggestions above, I ordered a thrust bearing that will be here today) but not sure if it was the F103 or F104.

Anxious to give it another shakedown this weekend.
Thanks for the info, at least I was not the only one suffering the same issue. Once you checked the other trust bearing, can you tell me the results? I will not be able to race the F1 for some weeks.

Best regards
Javier

Last edited by jimjav; 01-11-2017 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-13-2017, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

At the recent Hudy Race held at ProLevelRc I was able to finish 4th in the A_Main with some fast drivers. I'm the racer with red fantom shirt, HW hat, and red car
great stuff, keep it coming
idbdoug
Attached Thumbnails Exotek F1R-hudypic.jpg   Exotek F1R-hudymainresult.jpg  
Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Tech Adept

I've been testing the secret soft springs for quite some time but finally went to production last month so hopefully in stock in 2 weeks if they pass QC
Just picked up a set of these springs, they're very nice quality. I went ahead and swapped out my Tamiya fluorescent red for the the softest Exotek spring with the red mark. Felt somewhat similar. Am I in the ballpark?
Old 01-16-2017, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info, at least I was not the only one suffering the same issue. Once you checked the other trust bearing, can you tell me the results? I will not be able to race the F1 for some weeks.

Best regards
Javier
I'm getting closer to having the car dialed in. I am happy to say that my diff issues are no longer present. The thrust bearing and Exotek spur solved the issue entirely.

I started the night off with a pretty poor handling car (this is my first real attempt at F1) and by the end of the night, the car was getting pretty decent. I still have some issues to work out but I know what I need to do to at least get it 98% of the way to where it needs to be to have a decent base set up on the car that I can drive. I think that next week I will be at the 98% point and that point I will post any questions I have for the F1R experts out there. So far, I like the car and I'm looking forward to seeing how well it will perform once dialed in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.