Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aracefan
Wait, what??

So, you're saying you may do a package that includes:
  • #1570 - F1R3 PRO CONVERSION
  • #1473 - F1 IFS INDEPENDENT FRONT SUSPENSION SET
  • #1205 - F104 ADJUSTABLE FRONT ARM SET

I sure as H-E-double hockey sticks hope so!!
Do you have an ETA on this? So I can order when available.

Thank you, sir!
Have to work out the inventory and the costs before I have numbers and release time. Hoping in 2-3 weeks I'll have more info thanks.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey guys would anyone be interested in my F1R2 with some spares? F1 class is dead here in my town I am in Canada and have no issues shipping to the US.
Thinking 200$ plus shipping is fair, comes with Savox 1251mg installed.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the Fenix racing gear diff? Pretty neat idea and wondering how it compares on carpet to the standard ball diff.

Also, what is the smallest gage wire I should run from the ESC to the motor?

Last edited by RollingChicane2; 12-29-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RollingChicane2
Has anyone tried the Fenix racing gear diff? Pretty neat idea and wondering how it compares on carpet to the standard ball diff.
Nothing but good reviews. Contact [email protected]
Old 12-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Tech Champion

If anyone has a good starting point for medium grip (old gray) carpet for the F1R2 and would be willing to share, I would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
You would probably have to use an F1r3 set up as your base since things have changed a bit since the F1r2 days. Just mount the battery and electronics back to get the similar effects.

Attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F1R3_Capet_Setup_AaronLane.pdf (445.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Also, what is the smallest gauge wire I should run from the ESC to the motor?
I have one and although it works well it has not proven to be faster than a good ball diff any of the circuits I have tried it at.

Compared to a good ball diff it:
  • Has better drive through loaded corners and on slow corner exit.
  • Allows for more brake power to be used.
  • has a reduced tenancy to push on power and at high speed corner entry.
  • has a consistent more precise feeling with less tendency to lift from the rear.
  • Reduces rear stability through all on power corners and corner exit.
  • Carries significantly less speed into and through the corner.
  • Scrubs much more in s-turns.
  • Seems to take a lap or 2 to warm up on medium bite carpet.

Overall I would say it favors shorter point and shoot layouts & higher bite conditions on 21.5 power. On short mixed circuits it has yielded a slower single fast lap but comparable top 5 avg. With a 25.5 it has been much slower than a ball diff for me.

Mark
Old 12-30-2016, 06:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mtveten
I have one and although it works well it has not proven to be faster than a good ball diff any of the circuits I have tried it at.

Compared to a good ball diff it:
  • Has better drive through loaded corners and on slow corner exit.
  • Allows for more brake power to be used.
  • has a reduced tenancy to push on power and at high speed corner entry.
  • has a consistent more precise feeling with less tendency to lift from the rear.
  • Reduces rear stability through all on power corners and corner exit.
  • Carries significantly less speed into and through the corner.
  • Scrubs much more in s-turns.
  • Seems to take a lap or 2 to warm up on medium bite carpet.

Overall I would say it favors shorter point and shoot layouts & higher bite conditions on 21.5 power. On short mixed circuits it has yielded a slower single fast lap but comparable top 5 avg. With a 25.5 it has been much slower than a ball diff for me.

Mark
Excellent break down and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Looks like instead of upgrading to the gear diff, I will likely upgrade the F1R2 to F1R3 specs as they cost nearly the same amount.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Excellent break down and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Looks like instead of upgrading to the gear diff, I will likely upgrade the F1R2 to F1R3 specs as they cost nearly the same amount.
I have an F1R3 with Fenix gear diff. Definitely go with the upgrade from F1R2 to F1R3(which I did) but even more importantly get the IFS front end upgrade if you dont have it already. I had the IFS on my F1R2 and I feel it is more important than doing the F1R3 conversion first.
The gear diff is a huge advantage on the new high byte black crc carpet, not so much on low to medium byte surfaces. I have raced it from black high byte carpet to loose asphalt. Eventually your going to see it in almost every pan car class just like you see the fluid filled gear diff in TC type classes.
idbdoug
Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by idbdoug
I have an F1R3 with Fenix gear diff. Definitely go with the upgrade from F1R2 to F1R3(which I did) but even more importantly get the IFS front end upgrade if you dont have it already. I had the IFS on my F1R2 and I feel it is more important than doing the F1R3 conversion first.
The gear diff is a huge advantage on the new high byte black crc carpet, not so much on low to medium byte surfaces. I have raced it from black high byte carpet to loose asphalt. Eventually your going to see it in almost every pan car class just like you see the fluid filled gear diff in TC type classes.
idbdoug

Thanks for the insight IDBDoug. I just received the IFS kit yesterday in the mail along with the machine dampener rods, soft top spring set and soft IFS spring set.

We race on the old gray carpet and we tend to be very low traction compared to any other track I have ever raced on. Do you have a recommendation on where to start with top spring and IFS spring (Exotek spring choice)?
Old 12-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I am Building an F1R3....may know somebody though that is interested. In Detroit.... Where abouts are you?
Old 01-02-2017, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks for the insight IDBDoug. I just received the IFS kit yesterday in the mail along with the machine dampener rods, soft top spring set and soft IFS spring set.

We race on the old gray carpet and we tend to be very low traction compared to any other track I have ever raced on. Do you have a recommendation on where to start with top spring and IFS spring (Exotek spring choice)?
Center shock spring soft(red tamiya) and start with grey front ifs springs. MikeR posted AAron's setup for high byte but it should be close to what you need, maybe also angle the center shock a little more or less flat than what Aaron used on high byte.
If esc has some kind of punch control, turn it down low since your low byte, often overlooked but very important function for any rubber tire pan car.
idbdoug
Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by idbdoug
Center shock spring soft(red tamiya) and start with grey front ifs springs. MikeR posted AAron's setup for high byte but it should be close to what you need, maybe also angle the center shock a little more or less flat than what Aaron used on high byte.
If esc has some kind of punch control, turn it down low since your low byte, often overlooked but very important function for any rubber tire pan car.
idbdoug
Thanks for the advice. I was able to get the Exotek IFS installed flawlessly over the weekend and put a set up very close to Aaron's on the car and dialed it in on the set up station. Just need the TQwire to show up and I'll be ready to go. Not sure if it will arrive in time to get a practice run this weekend or not but either way I'm really close.

I can't wait to try out the IFS and get F1 going again at our track.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

I can probably expect the answer to this but how much am I limiting myself by not upgrading to the IFS? I've got the adjustable upper arms but still the stock F104 lower arms.

To be completely honest, I haven't even set the car on track (indoor carpet btw) since I installed the upper arms over a month ago. So I don't have a semi-baseline to compare to yet. What can I expect (or what am I missing)?
Old 01-03-2017, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by viking44
I can probably expect the answer to this but how much am I limiting myself by not upgrading to the IFS? I've got the adjustable upper arms but still the stock F104 lower arms.

To be completely honest, I haven't even set the car on track (indoor carpet btw) since I installed the upper arms over a month ago. So I don't have a semi-baseline to compare to yet. What can I expect (or what am I missing)?
I think IFS is nice if you are running the same car on asphalt and carpet. If carpet only then the just the upper arms are a must, not the ifs So I think you are good to go!
Old 01-03-2017, 04:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
I think IFS is nice if you are running the same car on asphalt and carpet. If carpet only then the just the upper arms are a must, not the ifs So I think you are good to go!
Thanks MikeR! As always, appreciate your input and expertise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.