Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree209Likes

Exotek F1R

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 06:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Rabbit0317
Dose the F1 15 Protoform body fit on the F1R3 chassis? I'm making the switch over to carpet for the winter and I was wondering what body and wings will work.

I'm currently running the F1R2 chassis outside on asphalt with a slim 3000mah lipo. I know switching over to transverse battery layout and aluminum chassis for carpet will be the hot ticket. Thanks!
I'm currently running a Protoform 14 on my F1R3 with the aluminum chassis, and I have a Protoform 15 in the process of getting trimmed to fit. It looks like it'll be a tight fit because of the side dampers. I've lowered the dampers and angled them as horizontally as possible, but it may come down to trimming the body to expose the dampers to get the body any lower. Otherwise, it'll have to be slightly nose down sitting on the chassis.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by viking44
I'm currently running a Protoform 14 on my F1R3 with the aluminum chassis, and I have a Protoform 15 in the process of getting trimmed to fit. It looks like it'll be a tight fit because of the side dampers. I've lowered the dampers and angled them as horizontally as possible, but it may come down to trimming the body to expose the dampers to get the body any lower. Otherwise, it'll have to be slightly nose down sitting on the chassis.
Thanks, what front and rear wings are you using? The serpent or something different.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks, what front and rear wings are you using? The serpent or something different.
Currently Tamiya F60 front and rear. I'm gonna try the MP4-24 front and rear next.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:50 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Dose the F1 15 Protoform body fit on the F1R3 chassis? I'm making the switch over to carpet for the winter and I was wondering what body and wings will work.

I'm currently running the F1R2 chassis outside on asphalt with a slim 3000mah lipo. I know switching over to transverse battery layout and aluminum chassis for carpet will be the hot ticket. Thanks!
Like Viking said, you'll probably need to lower the rear cross brace to get the Pf15 body to fit. Here's some pics of how I did mine-

http://www.rctech.net/forum/14394922-post1889.html
Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Did you just use smaller standoff's or shave the stock posts down? Also will the cross brace fit the LCG batteries? I'm currently using a Track Power 3000mah.

I appreciate the imput and feed back.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Those look like all new standoffs. Plus you'll have to move the sidesprings inboard (which is where I have them already). You'll also have to space the side dampers lower from the rear pod plate to keep them more or less horizontal. IMO it seems like too much work, but I already have the 15 body. But after this I'll just stick with the 13 or 14.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for the help.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Those look like all new standoffs. Plus you'll have to move the sidesprings inboard (which is where I have them already). You'll also have to space the side dampers lower from the rear pod plate to keep them more or less horizontal. IMO it seems like too much work, but I already have the 15 body. But after this I'll just stick with the 13 or 14.
Two 12mm standoffs from McMaster-Carr and two 3mm spacers for the upper tube balls. Not difficult at all. It also lowers the brace so it works better with lcg lipos.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Serzoni
Two 12mm standoffs from McMaster-Carr and two 3mm spacers for the upper tube balls. Not difficult at all. It also lowers the brace so it works better with lcg lipos.
Ok ok you've twisted my arm. I'll have a look into it. But also the brace has two slots for the factory Exotek "Y" standoffs. No chance of the brace sliding side to side with the shorter standoffs? Sure the side links will keep the battery in place but not really ideal for suspension movement haha.

I wonder if Exotek is reading this...

Sorry, I guess I'm being pessimistic because it seems backwards to me to have to modify an upgraded chassis to fit a "generic" body. The main reason I got this F1R3 conversion was to run the transverse battery. The inline battery configuration F104 fits almost any F1 body, so I convert away from knowingly, and then modify the conversion to fit one body?

If the 15 was like 5 seconds a lap quicker than the other bodies then I would lol.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
Correct, thanks!
any other extras i should consider to order along? spring set, spare arms..?
Old 08-30-2016, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

As far as bodies go, I prefer the Protoform Fourteen. The sidepods are tall enough to accommodate regular height transverse sorties and the nose is short enoughwhere it isn't the first thing that makes contact in a head-on collision. With creative cutting the nose can still be made to look like a body from 15 or 16.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

it fits, tight, but it can be done without serious modifications.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/14336849-post1801.html

Old 08-30-2016, 01:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
As far as bodies go, I prefer the Protoform Fourteen. The sidepods are tall enough to accommodate regular height transverse sorties and the nose is short enoughwhere it isn't the first thing that makes contact in a head-on collision. With creative cutting the nose can still be made to look like a body from 15 or 16.
Yep! PF-14 for the win!

Originally Posted by Acid_CZ
any other extras i should consider to order along? spring set, spare arms..?
You might pick up a spare arm if your track has wooden boards (I've never broken an IFS part) and the soft springs as a tuning option for asphalt.

Ok ok you've twisted my arm. I'll have a look into it. But also the brace has two slots for the factory Exotek "Y" standoffs. No chance of the brace sliding side to side with the shorter standoffs? Sure the side links will keep the battery in place but not really ideal for suspension movement haha.

I wonder if Exotek is reading this...

Sorry, I guess I'm being pessimistic because it seems backwards to me to have to modify an upgraded chassis to fit a "generic" body. The main reason I got this F1R3 conversion was to run the transverse battery. The inline battery configuration F104 fits almost any F1 body, so I convert away from knowingly, and then modify the conversion to fit one body?

If the 15 was like 5 seconds a lap quicker than the other bodies then I would lol.
Hi,
Have you ran the Protoform 14 or 13 yet? Why do you need to use the 15? The 14 and 13 were in fact designed for use with transverse batteries and is why the F1R3 was able to go to the better handling transverse layout. Going to the 15 and an inline layout would be going backwards...

The 14 has been proven to be the best all around body for us and is about the most 'winningist' body out there. The 13 is the same body mold as the 14 except it has a longer raised nose tip
Pick your poison!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MikeR
You might pick up a spare arm if your track has wooden boards (I've never broken an IFS part) and the soft springs as a tuning option for asphalt.
Thank you. What about hard springs, does it make huge difference on ETS carpet?
Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Acid_CZ
Thank you. What about hard springs, does it make huge difference on ETS carpet?
Sure thing. Aaron uses the included IFS grey spring.
His winning carpet set up attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
F1R3_Capet_Setup_AaronLane.pdf (445.2 KB, 121 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.