Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by jackhammer74
So as much as it may suck, we're not going to read headlines about one of Tamiya's top drivers taking a world championship with this car. The only purpose for releasing a car like this is to make $$$$$.
I know many will disagree, but come on, think about it.
You may be right, unfortunately.

But as for Tamiya milking the TA04, despite the fact that it is milking, I'm very happy they're doing it. The reason is because it shows that the chassis still has life. Yes it's a marketing gimmick, but I'm going to play right into it. With the TA04-TRF, the '04 chassis has been given new life. It's a halo car for all the other variations, and keeps them all afloat.

I dread the day a TAO5 comes out (that means I'll have to buy it, yes it does, or at least something that isnt obsolete), and with this TRF, it means the 04 will be around that much longer.
Old 02-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Iso Octane

I dread the day a TAO5 comes out (that means I'll have to buy it, yes it does, or at least something that isnt obsolete), and with this TRF, it means the 04 will be around that much longer.

I see what you're saying, and I definitely agree, I feel the same way.
Although, there's at least three guys at my local track who still run TA03s both Rs and Fs and they're very competitive, you'll always find at least two TA03s in the top 10. And that's not for a lack of competition, there's a plenty able field of TB01s, TA04s and even some TL01s
Old 02-01-2003, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Iso Octane
You may be right, unfortunately.

ISO, I hear ya...cause you know that with the recent success of the EVO 3 tha TA05 will be shaft drive
Old 02-01-2003, 08:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

i hope they release this ta04 trf parts for poeple to convert their plain looking ta04XXX into a cool looking ta04 trf.
well it only looks better because of teh blue alum. susp. mount which i herd your able to change teh roll center or wheelbase????

but anyways i just got and love my ta04-r and thinking of getting one-ways....so which should i get??? the front one way, center one way or both? would both on ways perform much better than one?

and should i get the carbon fiber chassie, saddle chassie or stick with the lightweight carbon chassie?

thanks
Old 02-01-2003, 10:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by sengming

and should i get the carbon fiber chassie, saddle chassie or stick with the lightweight carbon chassie?

thanks
sengming,
Personally I would recommend the Carbon reinforced Tub chassis for your 04R...It seems to handle better with this chassis probably due to it being less rigid than the Carbon Fibre Deck..

As far as the humble TA04 goes well I love the cars... My Ta04R is one of the most pleasant cars in my opinion to drive... It handles so well and is solid as a rock..
I have to agree with the others though about the chassis being milked for all its worth...As well as comments from another thread that the new TRF version is a "parts bin car".
I think Tamiya has a habit of wringing the most it can out of a chassis or a particular design...
You just can't help but love 'em though... The quality in my opinion is second to none...

Steevo

Last edited by Steevo; 02-01-2003 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Question 2????

Originally posted by lem2
Has anybody used the .6 module for the TA04-R???

what pinion can i use for a mod motor??

seems like i need to use a bigger pinion to reach the 83t spur.
what will I do? Thanks
I use a Kimborough Spur and Robinson Racing Pinion... Very good combo...Pinion spur combo depends on what mod you are running.. If you still want some info let me know what mod motor you are running and I'll see if I can help you..

Steevo
Old 02-11-2003, 07:21 PM
Tech Regular

Do you guys know of anybody that would consider/ is thinking of trading their TA04 with ball diffs. I have a sweet TC3 I'm trading.
here's my post. If the right deal presents itself I will throw in something extra. Thanks guys.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=13266
Old 02-12-2003, 12:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Default TRF

Well, lets look at this closely. Not all their kits had the pleasure of having a TRF model.

TA03, 03R, 03F, 03TRF, 03 David Jun Version
TB01, EVO, EVOII, EVOIII, not TRF that I am aware of
TA04, 04S, 04SS, 04R, 04TRF
F103, F103TRF
F103LM, F103LM TRF

off the list: TL01, TA02, FF02, TB01

I just got my 04R about 2 weeks ago. I have been putting it together slowly and I am very impressed with the quality and the exact fit of the parts. The Intruction manual is second to none. The shocks in this kit are probably the best if not 2nd to best. I wont be rushing out to get the 04TRF version because I think, and this is my opinion, the 04R is the car to get in the 04 series. The TRF has some nice added parts but I don't think it will out perform the 04R.

Again, this is just my opinion. I've had the 03R, David Jun, 03F, TB01, F103, 2 Mini's (still have a MINI, 03R and the David Jun) but I can say that the 04R is probably a notch above the rest. Not to take anything away from the 03 because I know it can be a very competitive car, but it's 04R's time.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

what hop ups do you have on your ta04-r mike?

thanks
Old 02-12-2003, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: TRF

Originally posted by Mike F
Well, lets look at this closely. Not all their kits had the pleasure of having a TRF model.

TA03, 03R, 03F, 03TRF, 03 David Jun Version
TB01, EVO, EVOII, EVOIII, not TRF that I am aware of
TA04, 04S, 04SS, 04R, 04TRF
F103, F103TRF
F103LM, F103LM TRF

off the list: TL01, TA02, FF02, TB01

I just got my 04R about 2 weeks ago. I have been putting it together slowly and I am very impressed with the quality and the exact fit of the parts. The Intruction manual is second to none. The shocks in this kit are probably the best if not 2nd to best. I wont be rushing out to get the 04TRF version because I think, and this is my opinion, the 04R is the car to get in the 04 series. The TRF has some nice added parts but I don't think it will out perform the 04R.

Again, this is just my opinion. I've had the 03R, David Jun, 03F, TB01, F103, 2 Mini's (still have a MINI, 03R and the David Jun) but I can say that the 04R is probably a notch above the rest. Not to take anything away from the 03 because I know it can be a very competitive car, but it's 04R's time.
Mike,
I also love the 04R and I would suggest a couple of hop ups worth adding if you haven't already done so.. I definately recommend the delrin outdrives. They help reduce the rotating mass and therefore spool up faster than the original steel ones. I also recommend the Carbon Fibre Damper Stays for front and rear they are a lot stiffer than the plastic ones that come with the kit. Another good option is the Aluminium hex drives like those on the Evo III with the rubber "O" ring to hold the pin in place. These give the wheels a good solid feel on the axle and eliminate the slop that occurs when the plastic ones wear. Finally give those bearings a good flush to get the thick factory grease out and re oil lightly with a couple of drops of fine oil.. I also leave the "Inside" shields off my bearings to reduce drag even further. It makes a big difference to just leaving them as they came in the kit.

Hope this helps some

Steevo
Old 02-12-2003, 08:42 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Anybody have a good carpet/rubber set up for the TA04R? I need to run one at a TCS race next week, and I'm not going to have much (if any) time to practice with it...
Old 02-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

TCS only allows Tamiya tires to race but you can install aftermarket inserts for a change. Depending what kind of condition you guys are running at Wisconsin, I would probably recommend a soft/soft or soft medium tire/insert setup. I bet the track is going to be cold even if the sun decided to show up in the middle of afternoon. I used to run my TA04 with -5 from cambers and stock toe setup. It was hooking up at the local makeup shift track at my LHS back in bay area and at nite time it was always cold and misty (yeah...pretty wet indeed) but it hookedup pretty well..till I switch the camber back to 0 (bad idea). That's all
Old 02-12-2003, 10:24 PM
R/C Tech Founder

It is an indoor carpet track, so the temperature is not too much of an issue (though I will be cold before I get in the door, it is hovering around 0F right now). The track actually has tons of traction on it, especially because they have been running foam mod in preparation for the ROAR & NORRCA carpet nationals next month.

The tires will be Tamiya Type A slicks with soft or medium inserts.

It's everything else that I'm unsure about.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Regional Moderator

Anyone running a trinity monster stock motor in the 04R. Preferably someone running on asphalt, medium bite, 110+ straight?

I'm looking to see where I should be with the Spur. Should I go with the 120 or the 112 or a different one all together like a 100 kimbrough.

Also, can a different spur be used in a TCS race?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Mike F,

I ran a hopped up TA04 (with saddle pack chassis) at a local track (about 100ft straight) with 7.2 Final Ratio, and the car could keep up with XXXs' and TC3s. I won the class by about 4 sec... Just to let you know, I was using a Monster Stock, 122 spur/ 36 pinion setting. Hope this helps and good luck racing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.