Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default aluminum versus plastic diff parts

Looking to replace my '04 diffs and wonder if anyone here is using the hop up aluminum diff pulley? Are they heavier than the stock plastic pulleys? I assume there's some advantage to aluminum's rigidity and strength. My LHS is now carrying the hop up ball diff with new aluminum outdrives and plastic pulleys. I thought the lightweight delrin outdrives would be the way to go. Thanks for any input.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

sonneteer and Alvin - In case you didn't know, HPI makes a similar part which is a direct fit. Should be easier to order than the "MR5" part Tamiya makes. It's part number A838.

Complete the assembly with an M3 machine screw.

Old 07-14-2002, 09:20 PM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Default Re: aluminum versus plastic diff parts

Originally posted by coolrcdad
Looking to replace my '04 diffs and wonder if anyone here is using the hop up aluminum diff pulley? Are they heavier than the stock plastic pulleys? I assume there's some advantage to aluminum's rigidity and strength. My LHS is now carrying the hop up ball diff with new aluminum outdrives and plastic pulleys. I thought the lightweight delrin outdrives would be the way to go. Thanks for any input.
You can get the lightweight diff joint set (p/n 53480) to go along with the aluminum pulley. The plastic pulley gets pretty chewed up if a little pebble happens to get trapped inside the diff casing, which happens pretty frequently for me. I think the weight difference in the diff joints will give you quicker acceleration, nevermind the weight of the pulley itself.
Old 07-14-2002, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: aluminum versus plastic diff parts

Originally posted by coolrcdad
it works great 4 mi...especially when there r peddles on the track,now where can u find an outdoor track with no peddles etc...

also u will have an xtra set for backup.
Old 07-15-2002, 06:41 AM
Tech Champion

I'm running TCS this year with a TAO4R, are there any hop-ups worth getting??? i.e Front OneWay Diff etc??
Old 07-15-2002, 09:30 AM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by black-knight
I'm running TCS this year with a TAO4R, are there any hop-ups worth getting??? i.e Front OneWay Diff etc??
If you want to stiffen up the ride, there are a number of graphite parts to replace some of the plastic ones: f/r uprights, hard suspension arms. I am running a center one way but depends on the type of track you'll be racing on. A lot of us complain about the softness of the spur gear, so you may want to replace it with a more durable one (my friend Kiwikid introduced me to Kyosho, which is noticably better and reasonably priced).

Nothing else really crucial. Racing body mounts, perhaps? The TA-04R is one well equiped ride right out of the box. Great taste in cars!
Old 07-15-2002, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

black-knight: I have been looking for good price for front and middle oneway. After many days of searching I finally found out someone on Ebay selling many TA04 hop ups in the best price and low cost shipping.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/ezrcstore...pt3/index.html

You're welcome.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

Alvin, thanks ofr the info, but that wasnt realy my problem.

The pro is that the 2 parts that really cheeses me off is the steering block cos the bottom screw gets ripped off hence strips the steering block threaded hole. Then there is the caster block, where it attaches to the torque rods, after a biggish impact the ball joint that connects with the torque rod gets stripped also... I have luse longer ball joints but in my RCLAB it is alley and I have NEVER had a prob with it!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 05:30 PM
Tech Regular

Just one correction. The spur gear is made by "Kawada", not "Kyosho".

Originally posted by DNQ

If you want to stiffen up the ride, there are a number of graphite parts to replace some of the plastic ones: f/r uprights, hard suspension arms. I am running a center one way but depends on the type of track you'll be racing on. A lot of us complain about the softness of the spur gear, so you may want to replace it with a more durable one (my friend Kiwikid introduced me to Kyosho, which is noticably better and reasonably priced).

Nothing else really crucial. Racing body mounts, perhaps? The TA-04R is one well equiped ride right out of the box. Great taste in cars!
Old 07-15-2002, 05:36 PM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the catch. I guess I should stop posting after midnight when I should be sleeping instead!
Old 07-15-2002, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Aurra Sing
There's a lot of decals, foo!

Well, here's my TA04R (trying to sell) and TRF414M.

is the lower deck on the TA04R above a Tamiya option??? if so what is the part number, i want one!

thx
Old 07-15-2002, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

bk: search for the US Spec Carbon Chassis.

sonneteer: Odd. I usually get the kingpin falling off. Else the only other problem I get is just slop after a few months of running.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

ANOTHER QUESTION...

what compound are the kit tires that come with the TA04R Kit?
Old 07-16-2002, 01:58 AM
Tech Elite

tamiya type A tyres if i'm not wrong...
Old 07-16-2002, 10:31 PM
Tech Champion

and another question:

Option Part: OP-466 (53466) TA04 Carbon Lower Deck

Is anyone using this lower deck? If so, do you think i would be able to use sadle or laDder packs with this chassis plate?

I have looked at it and think i would be able to use ladder pack configs with the chassis...a tight fit but i may work.

any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.