Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ta04r...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

In the March 2002 issue of Radio Control Car Action, there is an article about a guy who did some aftermarket upgrades to his TA-04S. According to the article, the lower carbon deck does accept saddle packs but he said he needed to buy TA04 battery holders and aluminum center posts to install it. I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that, but the short answer is that it does accept saddle packs.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

My recommendation is that you use the lightweight graphite composite chassis (which comes with the TA-04R chassis kit). If your kit already has it, then you don't really need to spend more on a lower chassis upgrade. The lightweight chassis can accept saddles packs - just remember to line the battery compartment with some insulation (such as some scrap polycarbonate) as the chassis conducts electricity and may short out any exposed battery packs.

The benefit of the LW chassis is that it should be stronger than the full CG chassis and longer lasting. Weight difference is negligible (I compared my TA-04R against my 414m2 and they weighed about the same).

The TA-04R works damn well straight out of the box. However, if you must upgrade, then I suggest the following upgrades are your best bet for improving the performance of the car:

(1) Hard suspension arms;
(2) Racing body mounts (this will improve the sit of your body on the chassis);
(3) centre one way unit (you can either get the plastic set or get the aluminium one way pulley and an aluminium centre pulley combination);
(4) front one way unit (this is driver preference and dependent on the type of track you drive on); and
(5) Aluminium ball diff pulleys (lasts longer and is smoother than the standard plastic pulleys).

To me, everything else is cosmetic surgery (but they can sure make your car look really nice). Having said that, my TA-04R has had full cosmetic surgery and is effectively a TA-04R Blue Edition (running centre and front one ways).
Old 07-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are the racing body mounts from Tamiya or an aftermarket hop up?
Old 07-17-2002, 09:34 PM
Tech Adept

DNQ

I am looking at that issue and he is using the stick-pack carbon chassis instead of the saddle-pack. It is two different chassis's. You either buy the stick-pack chassis or the saddle-pack chassis. Unlike the 414M2 where you are able to cut the lower chassis so it is able to accept saddle pack batteries. The stick-pack chassis is able to accept side-by-side battery packs. The aluminum center post and the battery holders is used with the stick-pack chassis.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hi People,

How do you repair the finish of a scratched lower FRP chassis? Mine has deep scratches on the underside... I am looking for a way to restore the original finish... Any Ideas?

Thanks,

Hi Day10, have you decided on a car yet? I already have a 414 albeit the original car that came befor the 04s and 414Ms...
Old 07-17-2002, 10:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by DNQ
In the March 2002 issue of Radio Control Car Action, there is an article about a guy who did some aftermarket upgrades to his TA-04S. According to the article, the lower carbon deck does accept saddle packs but he said he needed to buy TA04 battery holders and aluminum center posts to install it. I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that, but the short answer is that it does accept saddle packs.
DNQ..the double deck carbon fiber chassis kit for TA04s/pro does not come with any other hardware. For TA04Pro sake, it is a bold on job, but for TA04S, it wasn't which is the case with my brother's kit. The "S" chassis is a tube with all the pre-stamped plastic posts sticking up for the plastic top mount to be mount directly on top of it. When you take the lower "tub" away, then you don't have any support for those double deck chassis to sit on or you can install it but it would be useless since it doesn't have the correct support for it to be strong. So the guy uses the J part from the Pro and all the aluminum support post for the TA04PRo ( there are two sets of posts that need to be installed...the rear alu posts that sits on J4 part and the two steering post for the front) for the double deck to be as rigid as they intended to be. I hope that helps
Old 07-18-2002, 02:46 AM
DNQ
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the clarification guys. I probably won't be upgrading to a lower fiber deck though. I'm quite happy with my carbon fiber tub. Protects my electronics a little better in case I get T-boned!

About the racing body mounts, they are Tamiya and the part number is 53426.
Old 07-18-2002, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

the carbon fiber lower deck weighs a lot less than the carbon tub,...but read b4 tat the carbon tub will provide a better stability,...i believe it was in this thread,but a long time ago...
Old 07-18-2002, 06:24 AM
Tech Regular

I'm not sure about that if you compare the CF lower deck with the lightweight CR tub. The lightweight CR tub is considerably lighter than the original CR tub (which came with the Altezza kit). In any case, you need the aluminium posts if you are using the full CF double deck set up which also adds to the weight. I agree with DNQ. The tub offers much more protection. Too often, I have seen CF chassis equiped cars dragging their electronics and even batteries around the track because they have been knocked loose in a bad shunt. You are far less likely to suffer that fate if you use the tub.

Originally posted by ijnek
the carbon fiber lower deck weighs a lot less than the carbon tub,...but read b4 tat the carbon tub will provide a better stability,...i believe it was in this thread,but a long time ago...
Old 07-18-2002, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Rough512

I just bought Aurra Sing's TA04. I will be picking it up this afternoon. I am pretty excited about it, he gave me a great deal.

Aurra Sing

Thanks for the PM. I would have missed out on a great deal.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Lightweight chassis!!!

Just finished installing my new chassis!!!!!

the chassis that came with tha ta04R does not have battery slots so i got the lightweight chassis for about 30$US. PhP1,600

For me I think the tub chassis is better for the electronics and stability of the car!!!!

I just realized that my TAO4-R, handles better than my Pro3 on steroids whcih I have spent almost 800$us on hop ups!!!!! and extra parts!!!

With the R i just went with the
lt.wt diff on the rear
carbon shock tower in the frnt n rear
alum. center one way
hard arms with the new suspension shafts
alum steering arms
and replaced the turnbuckles to Ti (xtra from the pro3)
need the alum puley in the front to give more initial weight during turn in.

It was just supposed to be a backup car fro my pro3, since it handles better i got her a new 9402 servo!!!!!

The TAO4-R is such a value for money KIT!!! if only i went with it than the Pro3!!!!! Oh well!!!

Peace to all men!!!! (i still love my pro 3)
Old 07-18-2002, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

so the lightweight chassis is a tub? and it has slots for cells?

any one got the part number?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

The Part no. is 53494 and yes it does have slots. You won't regret getting this part. The Chassis handles very well. Just remember to insulate the battery compartment.

Originally posted by black-knight
so the lightweight chassis is a tub? and it has slots for cells?

any one got the part number?
Old 07-18-2002, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

kiwikid:
is the lightweight tub(with slots) in s'pore yet?...any idea?...i have not been 2 tai sing 4 a long time...
Old 07-18-2002, 09:58 PM
Tech Regular

I doubt it, as it has just been released in Japan this month I think. If you want it urgently, then you can always order it online from Rainbow Ten. It is listed in their inventory.

Originally posted by ijnek
kiwikid:
is the lightweight tub(with slots) in s'pore yet?...any idea?...i have not been 2 tai sing 4 a long time...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.