Search
Like Tree26Likes

3 racing new F1

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vazzo
Hi Guys,

Is it normal for the standard rear arms to feel a little tight, they arent binding they just don't go up and down freely. I'm assuming they will wear in time and be fine. I couldn't find any issues when reading build blogs.

Thanks,
Adrian
Check to make sure your shims aren't too tight. You may need to sand the arm or shims to get a proper loose fit. If you lift the arm up it should fall back down without hanging up. I prefer to use the metal shims instead of the plastic ones.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 6376vette
Check to make sure your shims aren't too tight. You may need to sand the arm or shims to get a proper loose fit. If you lift the arm up it should fall back down without hanging up. I prefer to use the metal shims instead of the plastic ones.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't even use any shims as the instructions didnt mention them and there doesn't look to be any room for shims. Looks like I might need to ream the arms instead.

Thanks
Adrian
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Anybody try the sweep tires yet?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Hi all, Im a newb at the F1 and cant wait to get my car together. Has anyone tried saucing the Pardus tires with sticky kicks for asphalt? if so what color/flavor did you use? I recently added the 3racing kits and parts to my site, as well as the F1Paintlab decals Pardus Tires and exotek hopups. Our local track is going through a rebuild this year and we should be getting practice open in the next couple of weeks.... Woohoo for an early spring in this neck of the woods

3Racing
Old 04-04-2013, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Does anyone have experience with the Solar brand of servos? Ive read several places where guys are using the 770 low profile in the FGX. My experience with those hobbypartz/hobbyking servos has never been good, do they had a decent one now?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I've read through a lot of this thread because I'm doing research on F1 cars. I want to get one and I am currently considering an F104 car but other options are open.
I keep checking in on the FGX because of it's price but from what I've read there are a lot of durability and adjustability issues with this car that are only solved with lots of upgrades and re-engineering. Since I'm new to these cars (but not pan cars FWIW) I'm not so sure that an FGX would be worth the time and money. Someone care to convince me otherwise?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Tech Champion

I looked at all of the factors just like you have... In the end when you get all the cars where you want them they're going to cost about the same. The FGX's seem to work alittle better on bumpy lower grip tracks where the pod cars accel on smoother high grip tracks. Im racing F1 for the scale and realism. They just look so cool when there's a field of 12 cars going around the track. For the absolute best performing, get the last tenth out of every lap the pod cars are probably a touch faster. There's plenty of FGX's here and there hasnt been much durability issues other than tagging boards over an over will break any car. Exotek makes affordable upgrades to beef up the arms for around $10... not that expensive to upgrade. What adjustability issues do you see?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Not sure if it matters to you, but the ROAR rules state: "No independent rear suspension" for Cart/IRL/F1 rules. So I don't think the FGX is legal, not sure if your going to race in any ROAR legal races.

I bought my son a used 3Racing F109 to get started in F1 with and so far it seems pretty good.

-Rich
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Tony Newland
I looked at all of the factors just like you have... In the end when you get all the cars where you want them they're going to cost about the same. The FGX's seem to work alittle better on bumpy lower grip tracks where the pod cars accel on smoother high grip tracks. Im racing F1 for the scale and realism. They just look so cool when there's a field of 12 cars going around the track. For the absolute best performing, get the last tenth out of every lap the pod cars are probably a touch faster. There's plenty of FGX's here and there hasnt been much durability issues other than tagging boards over an over will break any car. Exotek makes affordable upgrades to beef up the arms for around $10... not that expensive to upgrade. What adjustability issues do you see?
Thanks good post.

The most obvious adjustability issue is with motors. Looks like there are some fitment issues there. I've also read about leaky shocks and gear selection problems. I like to start with stock kits and upgrade as I want. I dislike needing to upgrade because of poor design or materials.
I WILL be running on some bumpy and un-prepped surfaces and would be using rubber tires so it could be that the FGX would be better for me in the log run.
I really appreciate the help. There is a lot to learn with these cars.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rich Valente
Not sure if it matters to you, but the ROAR rules state: "No independent rear suspension" for Cart/IRL/F1 rules. So I don't think the FGX is legal, not sure if your going to race in any ROAR legal races.

I bought my son a used 3Racing F109 to get started in F1 with and so far it seems pretty good.

-Rich
I probably won't be entering any ROAR races. Just looking to have fun with some locals.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Ya, Im running F1 for the first time this year also. Like you I have some onroad experience so that will come in handy Im sure. The high speed gears are $3 for the set... similar sprice for a 72t spur to run blinky in offroad, not unreasonable imo... as far as motor fitment I think the Novak, Speed Passion and Thunder Power Motors fit well. Those are the most popular here.

No IRS for an F1, Cart and indy car? wtf aren't these kits replicating the full scale counterparts???? lmao thats a preposterous rule!!!! O well, ROAR has no representation out here. We run under the UF1RC rules
Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

-Rich
Food for thought. Most racers in the US are running 21.5, blinky, 190 or narrower cars on rubber tires per the UF1 rules set, FGX included. If you're running in the US per those rules, the F109 is too wide and no foam tires allowed. ROAR is not up to speed on F1 as it is being generally run at this time.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

RC F1 cars were almost all pan cars until recently. ROAR does its best to try and keep racing fair and one way to do that is to make sure all the chassis being used are of similar design. They also don't allow racing in 1/10th or 1/12th pan car classes yet those cars are based off of real cars that have IRS as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I wasn't trying to start a ROAR flame war, just saying that most of the race legal F1 cars seem to be solid rear axle, even the new Speed Passion SP-1, Serpent, etc...

I looked at the FGX as an option to get started in F1 as well, but decided to stick to a solid rear axle car for now.

-Rich

Last edited by Rich Valente; 04-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I wasn't trying to start a ROAR flame war, just saying that most of the race legal F1 cars seem to be solid rear axle, even the new Speed Passion SP-1, Serpent, etc...

I looked at the FGX as an option to get started in F1 as well, but decided to stick to a solid rear axle car for now.

-Rich
No flaming. They do their best and rules can be hard to keep up with when something like UF1 rockets to popularity. I have 2 FGXs, 2 F1Rs, and 4 F103s just because I love the class. If you're racing though, find out what the local track is going to run and stick with their rules. I know, canned answer, but its true 90% of the time. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.