Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by drperry
It may have been the speed control thermalling as well... Fan still have all its blades?
havoc doesnt have a fan and it came off colder than the motor when it thermalled
Old 02-22-2009, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Did not know that...

Motor still spins (by hand) smoothly?

A wire may have come partially loose... Either way, I hope y'all get it worked out!

I'm still trying to get my GTB and 13.5 to lock up the wheels in my 2WD truck
Old 02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
The Evicerator

The systems will shut down as well if the motor becomes too hot.

Did you happen to notice any light codes on the ESC when this happened?

It is possible that your friend simply has an "overly sensitive" thermal shut down...

If you bring it in there's a good chance we can get it taken care of.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by drperry
Did not know that...

Motor still spins (by hand) smoothly?

A wire may have come partially loose... Either way, I hope y'all get it worked out!

I'm still trying to get my GTB and 13.5 to lock up the wheels in my 2WD truck
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
The systems will shut down as well if the motor becomes too hot.

Did you happen to notice any light codes on the ESC when this happened?

It is possible that your friend simply has an "overly sensitive" thermal shut down...

If you bring it in there's a good chance we can get it taken care of.
yeah everything runs fine and as it should before that magical 115ish degree mark...maybe the thermal cutoff was set too low by accident at the factory on this unit?

Yeah the LED code is saying that its thermalling. Sounds like ill definately be taking it in then, thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Syber Serulean
yeah everything runs fine and as it should before that magical 115ish degree mark...maybe the thermal cutoff was set too low by accident at the factory on this unit?

Yeah the LED code is saying that its thermalling.
Is it one LED for all thermal conditions? Or one for the motor and one for the ESC?

Do you have another motor to test it with? If it happens with different motors, it'll narrow down between the ESC and motor...
Old 02-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Elite

ill just take it in and let Novak sort it out. The Havoc system is still under warranty...it hasnt even been out 120 days officially i dont think. Thats 4 months! I dont think anyone could have found this system on any shelves back in november-ish of last year? Thats how i see it at least...just sucks that the recepit was lost :/
Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Steve....I had 2 questions 1 on Xray's thread I was looking at your snowbirds setup and was wandering what made you go with low front roll center? 2 what type diff were you using?

Steve V.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
The Evicerator

Hey Steve,

To answer your questions:

In the front I was using the plastic 34 tooth spool... in the rear ran a standard aluminum/34 tooth diff.

As far as the front roll center goes... it's just been a bit of an experiment lately really... if you change just that by itself the car will usually get more aggressive than if it had a higher front roll center...

Most of the carpet rubber tire guys have been running high roll center in the front and mid in the rear for quite a while... Now they've migrated to mid front and mid rear and it seems like they're doing even better... maybe I'm a little ahead of the curve with the low front roll center?

If you try the setup and it is too agressive though that's something that you can easily change... just go to mid front roll center and it should mellow the car out quite a bit.

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Steve....I had 2 questions 1 on Xray's thread I was looking at your snowbirds setup and was wandering what made you go with low front roll center? 2 what type diff were you using?

Steve V.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Steve what help could you give for my 009eu that pushes it has no Frnt bite I run mostly low grip but even on a high bite track I cant get it to turn I have ran the spool but it seems to amplify the problem. Why is the spool so popular? why not oneway/oneway fixed or Diff I have seen alot of guys running diffs in rubber tire what makes one better than the other for rubber tire? I am new to rubber tire on carpet so any help would be great. Here is my setup its alot like Leimux's from the novak race:

Frnt:
Oneway
4,degree caster
1.5mm droop
1.3 sway
3rd hole out shock
1mm shim at C-hub
40wt shock oil 50% reboud 3hole piston
3.0 springs
Standard roll center
No post
0 degrees toe out
1.5 degrees camber
1mm shims behind arm mounts

REAR
2.0 dgrees toe in
Standard roll center
no sway
30wt oil 50% rebound 3 hole piston
1mm droop

2.8 springs
3rd hole shock position
1mm shim at C-hub
Arms shimmed forward for wheel base

5mm ride hieght frnt and 5.5 mm rear

Again thanks,
Steve V.

Last edited by NUCRPTRACER; 02-23-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default OVAL SPUR PINION SETUP NOVAK 5800SSBRUSHLESS

PLZ help I have old hyperdrive pan car need a good pinion spur setup track is about 25 ft straightways oval carpet flat foams 5800SS setup which setting will get me fast but at the right tempI dont wanna burn anything up I dont have a temp gun all help is greatly appreciated to this NUBIE
Old 02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
The Evicerator

Hey Nucrptracer,

The nice thing about a spool is that it generally runs pretty consistantly on power to off power... you can use the brakes even! With a one way sometimes the car reacts much differently from on power to off power... and the use of brakes is not recommended.

One thing that you might want to try doing is running 50 mm drive shafts in the front of your car.

I generally run 50 mm drive shafts front and rear because they make the car more aggressive and roll more... but others might not like that feel at all... it's really personal preference.

Also, what kind of spacing are you running on the front of your car? I have been running standard 1.5 mm spacing on the bulkheads, but running narrower hex adaptors lately. This is something else to play with if you are having front end bite issues.

Thanks Steve what help could you give for my 009eu that pushes it has no Frnt bite I run mostly low grip but even on a high bite track I cant get it to turn I have ran the spool but it seems to amplify the problem. Why is the spool so popular? why not oneway/oneway fixed or Diff I have seen alot of guys running diffs in rubber tire what makes one better than the other for rubber tire? I am new to rubber tire on carpet so any help would be great. Here is my setup its alot like Leimux's from the novak race:

Frnt:
Oneway
4,degree caster
1.5mm droop
1.3 sway
3rd hole out shock
1mm shim at C-hub
40wt shock oil 50% reboud 3hole piston
3.0 springs
Standard roll center
No post
0 degrees toe out
1.5 degrees camber
1mm shims behind arm mounts

REAR
2.0 dgrees toe in
Standard roll center
no sway
30wt oil 50% rebound 3 hole piston
1mm droop

2.8 springs
3rd hole shock position
1mm shim at C-hub
Arms shimmed forward for wheel base

5mm ride hieght frnt and 5.5 mm rear

Again thanks,
Steve V.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

I am running the standard 1.5 spacing.....I have thought about the hexes....I will try the shafts and the spool again....Why is the diff not recommended for the rubber but it is for the foam???
Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcterp
Power Cap question - I believe the XBR used a smaller power cap. Would it be effective to use the smaller power cap on the GTB only running a 1s (3.7v) lipo with a 13.5 motor?
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
We are currently evaluating different solutions with regards to power capacitors for use with 1S lipo power sources.

For the time being you will likely still get better performance with the standard GTB power cap than you would with the smaller 16v 680 uf cap used on the XBR. But I don't see any harm in using the smaller cap for space savings.
I was curious of any updates with this. I've been using the 680uf cap with the GTB and all seems well.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
The Evicerator

Is this an original SS5800 motor? If so I would recommend a 1.50" rollout... if it is a newer style 8.5 SS Pro motor with sintered rotor I would recommend 1.70" rollout.

Originally Posted by Lennx
PLZ help I have old hyperdrive pan car need a good pinion spur setup track is about 25 ft straightways oval carpet flat foams 5800SS setup which setting will get me fast but at the right tempI dont wanna burn anything up I dont have a temp gun all help is greatly appreciated to this NUBIE
Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
The Evicerator

I am running the standard 1.5 spacing.....I have thought about the hexes....I will try the shafts and the spool again....Why is the diff not recommended for the rubber but it is for the foam???
With foam tires the amount of overall traction is much greater than with rubber tires. You always have a little bit of slipping with rubber tires and this can result in a "loose" feeling car and the spool can help stabilize the car.

With foam tires and a spool, the tires have so much traction that the front end becomes very grabby and inconsistant feeling due to the fact that each tire is essentially turning a different radius and trying to exert a high force on the car. With a diff these forces are are somewhat absorbed partially by the differential action and it results in a smoother more controllable car.

Originally Posted by rcterp
I was curious of any updates with this. I've been using the 680uf cap with the GTB and all seems well.
Haven't really gotten enough feedback from people yet... Keep checking back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.