Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Steve "The Evicerator" Weiss

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scott B
Hey Steve, I'm running a GTB in my 4 wheel buggy and the the stock fan fell apart and stoped working so I replaced it with a Muchmore fan and that one came apart to but it snapped back together. Have team drivers had this problem and can I just install it upside down to hopefully keep it together?

Thanks,
do you need a stock replacement fan? I think I have a couple if you need one for tomorrow's race. Call me if you need one. Team Orange will keep you racing not waiting on the UPS guy
Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 AM
The Evicerator

Scott,

Some guys have had that type of problem and we've been using the 25 x 25 mm fan most of the time because it seems to hold up to shock better than the stock one.

Cookie,

Yes, most of us ran lightweight motors. Craig Drescher, Josh Numan, myself all ran lightweight 3.5s in our touring cars and Tosolini ran a lightweight 4.5 in his 1/12 car.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiss
Scott,

Some guys have had that type of problem and we've been using the 25 x 25 mm fan most of the time because it seems to hold up to shock better than the stock one.

Cookie,

Yes, most of us ran lightweight motors. Craig Drescher, Josh Numan, myself all ran lightweight 3.5s in our touring cars and Tosolini ran a lightweight 4.5 in his 1/12 car.
Steve,

I don't mean this to be an insult on you or Novak, but someone made a bad decision on the stock clear 30mm x 30mm x 6mm fan.

My experience has shown that the 30mm clear fan is not a durable component. I've found that the plastic holding the fan and motor inside the fan cage is too flexible. Once the fan motor or ESC heats up, the clear plastic becomes even more flexible. Once that happens, any impact to the car/truck causes the fan blades to impact the fan casing. I've found the blades initially start to warp, then break.

I walked around the track this weekend and did not find a single running clear stock fan that was not broken, that is if it wasn't already entirely removed from it being broken. This includes off-road and on-road. I personally went through three of these clear 30mm fans before buying the 25mm x 25mm x 10mm fans.

BTW - The black 25mm fans hold up very well.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Could it be cogging?

Had an interesting experience this weekend. Was running an XBR/EX13.5 in my Cyclone sedan and noticed that it would stutter when I hammered it on corner exit. This would only occur on hard left hand turns and last for about 5-6 feet, right hand turns seemed fine. I thought it was something in the drive train or it was due to glitching, but after checking everything with no success, I finally tried swapping out the motor... and presto, problem fixed. Was I seeing a case of the infamous 'cogging'? Why only left hand turns?

Thanks,
Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wild Guess...

If the rotor is shimmed with too much endplay, it would shift inside the motor, and would be closer or further away from the sensors in the endbell depending on the direction and how hard you turned...

That would at least explain the difference based on which way your were turning...?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
The Evicerator

KN,

Thanks for your input!

Don't think that observations like this have not caught our attention here and we are always working to improve our products!

Originally Posted by kn7671
Steve,

I don't mean this to be an insult on you or Novak, but someone made a bad decision on the stock clear 30mm x 30mm x 6mm fan.

My experience has shown that the 30mm clear fan is not a durable component. I've found that the plastic holding the fan and motor inside the fan cage is too flexible. Once the fan motor or ESC heats up, the clear plastic becomes even more flexible. Once that happens, any impact to the car/truck causes the fan blades to impact the fan casing. I've found the blades initially start to warp, then break.

I walked around the track this weekend and did not find a single running clear stock fan that was not broken, that is if it wasn't already entirely removed from it being broken. This includes off-road and on-road. I personally went through three of these clear 30mm fans before buying the 25mm x 25mm x 10mm fans.

BTW - The black 25mm fans hold up very well.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:28 PM
The Evicerator

Watchout,

I would agree with what TF had to say...check the shimming of the rotor in the motor... if it has too much endplay that type of cogging can occur. If the rotor is well used it might be slightly weakened and that can also cause problems like what you have described.

Some quick fixes are to

1.) Shim the motor
2.) replace the bonded rotor with a sintered rotor (5923)
3.) Turn the timing up on the motor slightly.

Originally Posted by WatchOut
Had an interesting experience this weekend. Was running an XBR/EX13.5 in my Cyclone sedan and noticed that it would stutter when I hammered it on corner exit. This would only occur on hard left hand turns and last for about 5-6 feet, right hand turns seemed fine. I thought it was something in the drive train or it was due to glitching, but after checking everything with no success, I finally tried swapping out the motor... and presto, problem fixed. Was I seeing a case of the infamous 'cogging'? Why only left hand turns?

Thanks,
Old 10-07-2007, 10:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

As far as the fans go, I havent had good experience with the clear novak fan either (in a 1/10 TC), but to be fair, I also have broken alot of the black 3racing fans that come on their motor heatsinks...
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

much more fans are good but i havnt used the black novaks yet but much more seem to be as good
Old 10-08-2007, 01:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Watchout,

I would agree with what TF had to say...check the shimming of the rotor in the motor... if it has too much endplay that type of cogging can occur. If the rotor is well used it might be slightly weakened and that can also cause problems like what you have described.

Some quick fixes are to

1.) Shim the motor
2.) replace the bonded rotor with a sintered rotor (5923)
3.) Turn the timing up on the motor slightly.
Charlie:
Thanks for the quick reply. There is a bit of end play, but it really doesn't seem any worse than my other motor. I'll try playing with the shimming and see what happens. I bought the system used, so I don't know the history of the motor. I do have a sintered rotor I can drop in to see what happens.

However, I have no idea how to adjust the timing.?? Where can that info be found?

Thanks,
Old 10-08-2007, 01:57 PM
The Evicerator

Yeah, without knowing what that motor has gone through your best bet is to simply replace the rotor. That will more than likely clear up any problems you have encountered!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Steve-

lets just say I place a order today or Tomarrow on the web page for the light motors. what kind of time frame will it take to receive motors.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Scott,

Steve,

Since most of us (by this I mean my locals) running GTB have experienced this, is it too much for Novak to just switch to sending out GTB with the 25mm fan now ? I've busted, let's see... about half a dozen of the clear fans on various ESC's. No matter how careful I am, a wire, finger, tiny rock, something always nails the fan.... Yes the black fans are great, so why not bring it out of the box that way ? It would be a nice upgrade and an advertising point. Or get a 30mm fan with the same (I think it's glass reinforced black pigmented nylon) plastic used on the black fan.

Maybe there is some back stock you have to use up first ? Because I'm surprised that with all the work put into the GTB this didn't come up at Novak and been done 6 months ago. Maybe being a "peripheral" part it wasn't thought of as being so critical ? Just some feedback to take back to the powers that be.

Mike
Old 10-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WatchOut

Thanks,
I once saw an oval driver lose power every time in Turn 1. Turns out he had a loose solder connection on his battery and it just lost contact when he turned hard in #1. Any possibility you had 1 of the 3 power wires making pooor contact ? Maybe try that motor briefly again ? Just a thought.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Steve: What are you having for lunch today?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.