R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #5341
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,991
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Hey Steve, I'm running a GTB in my 4 wheel buggy and the the stock fan fell apart and stoped working so I replaced it with a Muchmore fan and that one came apart to but it snapped back together. Have team drivers had this problem and can I just install it upside down to hopefully keep it together?

Thanks,
do you need a stock replacement fan? I think I have a couple if you need one for tomorrow's race. Call me if you need one. Team Orange will keep you racing not waiting on the UPS guy
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #5342
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Scott,

Some guys have had that type of problem and we've been using the 25 x 25 mm fan most of the time because it seems to hold up to shock better than the stock one.

Cookie,

Yes, most of us ran lightweight motors. Craig Drescher, Josh Numan, myself all ran lightweight 3.5s in our touring cars and Tosolini ran a lightweight 4.5 in his 1/12 car.
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #5343
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Scott,

Some guys have had that type of problem and we've been using the 25 x 25 mm fan most of the time because it seems to hold up to shock better than the stock one.

Cookie,

Yes, most of us ran lightweight motors. Craig Drescher, Josh Numan, myself all ran lightweight 3.5s in our touring cars and Tosolini ran a lightweight 4.5 in his 1/12 car.
Steve,

I don't mean this to be an insult on you or Novak, but someone made a bad decision on the stock clear 30mm x 30mm x 6mm fan.

My experience has shown that the 30mm clear fan is not a durable component. I've found that the plastic holding the fan and motor inside the fan cage is too flexible. Once the fan motor or ESC heats up, the clear plastic becomes even more flexible. Once that happens, any impact to the car/truck causes the fan blades to impact the fan casing. I've found the blades initially start to warp, then break.

I walked around the track this weekend and did not find a single running clear stock fan that was not broken, that is if it wasn't already entirely removed from it being broken. This includes off-road and on-road. I personally went through three of these clear 30mm fans before buying the 25mm x 25mm x 10mm fans.

BTW - The black 25mm fans hold up very well.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:26 PM   #5344
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 755
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default Could it be cogging?

Had an interesting experience this weekend. Was running an XBR/EX13.5 in my Cyclone sedan and noticed that it would stutter when I hammered it on corner exit. This would only occur on hard left hand turns and last for about 5-6 feet, right hand turns seemed fine. I thought it was something in the drive train or it was due to glitching, but after checking everything with no success, I finally tried swapping out the motor... and presto, problem fixed. Was I seeing a case of the infamous 'cogging'? Why only left hand turns?

Thanks,
WatchOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #5345
Tech Master
 
tfrahm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,024
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm
Default

Wild Guess...

If the rotor is shimmed with too much endplay, it would shift inside the motor, and would be closer or further away from the sensors in the endbell depending on the direction and how hard you turned...

That would at least explain the difference based on which way your were turning...?
__________________
"If you cannot win, make the one ahead of you break the record."
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #5346
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

KN,

Thanks for your input!

Don't think that observations like this have not caught our attention here and we are always working to improve our products!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Steve,

I don't mean this to be an insult on you or Novak, but someone made a bad decision on the stock clear 30mm x 30mm x 6mm fan.

My experience has shown that the 30mm clear fan is not a durable component. I've found that the plastic holding the fan and motor inside the fan cage is too flexible. Once the fan motor or ESC heats up, the clear plastic becomes even more flexible. Once that happens, any impact to the car/truck causes the fan blades to impact the fan casing. I've found the blades initially start to warp, then break.

I walked around the track this weekend and did not find a single running clear stock fan that was not broken, that is if it wasn't already entirely removed from it being broken. This includes off-road and on-road. I personally went through three of these clear 30mm fans before buying the 25mm x 25mm x 10mm fans.

BTW - The black 25mm fans hold up very well.
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #5347
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Watchout,

I would agree with what TF had to say...check the shimming of the rotor in the motor... if it has too much endplay that type of cogging can occur. If the rotor is well used it might be slightly weakened and that can also cause problems like what you have described.

Some quick fixes are to

1.) Shim the motor
2.) replace the bonded rotor with a sintered rotor (5923)
3.) Turn the timing up on the motor slightly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut View Post
Had an interesting experience this weekend. Was running an XBR/EX13.5 in my Cyclone sedan and noticed that it would stutter when I hammered it on corner exit. This would only occur on hard left hand turns and last for about 5-6 feet, right hand turns seemed fine. I thought it was something in the drive train or it was due to glitching, but after checking everything with no success, I finally tried swapping out the motor... and presto, problem fixed. Was I seeing a case of the infamous 'cogging'? Why only left hand turns?

Thanks,
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #5348
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 3,154
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

As far as the fans go, I havent had good experience with the clear novak fan either (in a 1/10 TC), but to be fair, I also have broken alot of the black 3racing fans that come on their motor heatsinks...
Ashley Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #5349
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brisbane. Australia
Posts: 1,820
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

much more fans are good but i havnt used the black novaks yet but much more seem to be as good
__________________
Josh P
to make Keith happy
Corally phi
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #5350
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 755
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Watchout,

I would agree with what TF had to say...check the shimming of the rotor in the motor... if it has too much endplay that type of cogging can occur. If the rotor is well used it might be slightly weakened and that can also cause problems like what you have described.

Some quick fixes are to

1.) Shim the motor
2.) replace the bonded rotor with a sintered rotor (5923)
3.) Turn the timing up on the motor slightly.
Charlie:
Thanks for the quick reply. There is a bit of end play, but it really doesn't seem any worse than my other motor. I'll try playing with the shimming and see what happens. I bought the system used, so I don't know the history of the motor. I do have a sintered rotor I can drop in to see what happens.

However, I have no idea how to adjust the timing.?? Where can that info be found?

Thanks,
WatchOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #5351
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 4,142
Default

Yeah, without knowing what that motor has gone through your best bet is to simply replace the rotor. That will more than likely clear up any problems you have encountered!
__________________
Steve Weiss
TEAM ASSOCIATED -- REEDY -- SANWA -- PROTOFORM -- 1UP Racing -- ActivRC -- P1 BRAND -- TEAM KINWALD -- TEAM STEVE INTERNATIONAL
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #5352
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 137
Default

Steve-

lets just say I place a order today or Tomarrow on the web page for the light motors. what kind of time frame will it take to receive motors.

Thanks
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:01 AM   #5353
Tech Addict
 
swopemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Scott,

Some guys have had that type of problem and we've been using the 25 x 25 mm fan most of the time because it seems to hold up to shock better than the stock one.
Steve,

Since most of us (by this I mean my locals) running GTB have experienced this, is it too much for Novak to just switch to sending out GTB with the 25mm fan now ? I've busted, let's see... about half a dozen of the clear fans on various ESC's. No matter how careful I am, a wire, finger, tiny rock, something always nails the fan.... Yes the black fans are great, so why not bring it out of the box that way ? It would be a nice upgrade and an advertising point. Or get a 30mm fan with the same (I think it's glass reinforced black pigmented nylon) plastic used on the black fan.

Maybe there is some back stock you have to use up first ? Because I'm surprised that with all the work put into the GTB this didn't come up at Novak and been done 6 months ago. Maybe being a "peripheral" part it wasn't thought of as being so critical ? Just some feedback to take back to the powers that be.

Mike
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 AM   #5354
Tech Addict
 
swopemike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 526
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOut View Post
Had an interesting experience this weekend. Was running an XBR/EX13.5 in my Cyclone sedan and noticed that it would stutter when I hammered it on corner exit. This would only occur on hard left hand turns and last for about 5-6 feet, right hand turns seemed fine. I thought it was something in the drive train or it was due to glitching, but after checking everything with no success, I finally tried swapping out the motor... and presto, problem fixed. Was I seeing a case of the infamous 'cogging'? Why only left hand turns?

Thanks,
I once saw an oval driver lose power every time in Turn 1. Turns out he had a loose solder connection on his battery and it just lost contact when he turned hard in #1. Any possibility you had 1 of the 3 power wires making pooor contact ? Maybe try that motor briefly again ? Just a thought.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #5355
Tech Master
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: I'm All Over The Place
Posts: 1,160
Default

Steve: What are you having for lunch today?
__________________
Novak Electronics Tech Support
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 03-13-2007 07:20 PM
"""NEW""" Collari .21 3 port buggy motor lc21-b3 goneRVing R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 7 12-20-2006 06:25 PM
STUFF FOR SALE """"LQQK """" EZRC R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 10-22-2006 09:49 PM
""" XRAY FK05 """ excellent cond/super clean/stock evostyle R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 9 06-29-2006 10:04 PM
Let's send Steve Weiss (Evicerator) to Cleveland!!! TeamButter Electric On-Road 8 11-02-2004 11:32 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:47 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net