Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
!!! man I could take apart all my cars and send you every piece of Alumi that I have !!!!! Man thats cheap,..... Could you do use a favor and let us know what colors they can do!!

-Dave
Talked with Barry at Hyperdrive...The anodize place said the can do virtually any color. Keep in mind though that with different grades of alumn the color will also vary. Associated VCS shocks are a differnt kind of alunm than what Barry makes the HD stuff from so when we send stuf off the shocks always come back a lighter color. But when its on the car away from any of the other alumn you never notice it. I have some pics of one of my oval cars done in green if you want to check them out.

ea
Old 03-02-2003, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I'm finally back from the NORRCA State Champ. I wish I can tell you guys I won the thing with my Barracuda, but the truth is I didn't do too well I suffered the typical "great car, bad driver syndrome"

For those of you that's interested, here's how my weekend went:

Friday:

I got to the track and I was amazed at how serious the banking was at the Bakersfield NORRCA home track. The banking on the track had to be around 30 degrees (or more, because if you stand in the flat ground in the infield, the top of the banking is as tall as your head ) and the infield was not technical but very brutal if you hit the pipes (because they don't move, and usually your car will break if you hit it). I spent most of the Friday getting the car ready and just ran a couple of laps. I wanted to see how the car worked out of the box as per instruction with the kit spring and it worked well even with the banking. I believe on Friday, my lap times were in the low 13s and mid/high 12s...which was competitive with some of the other racers, and since the car was not setup completely to my liking yet, I knew I can bring the lap time down even more.

Saturday:

I signed up for expert stock, instead of 19T which I was originally planning on running. I made two changes to the car, I moved the upper shock mount front and rear to a more upright position (1 hole out) and I changed to Yokomo Pink spring, which is stiffer than the kit black springs. This help the car to be more stable through the banking and not bottom out too easily going into and exiting the bankings. I was amazed at these little changes and the car was right where I want it. The car felt really good during this practice run and I was going faster and faster lap after lap. I was smiling on the driver stand thinking..."this car is great, I have good shot at doing well at this race..." (you know that feeling you get when you have really nice setup car on your hand) Then disaster struck (from too much smiling/thinking and not enough concentrating ) ...I clip one of the infield corner really hard and broke the front C-hub. It was such a big impact that you could've heard it in the pits, and I was surprised that the only I broken was a front c-hub. Unfortunately I did not have parts to fix the car, so I had to resort to my back up Tamiya 414M2. I got a taste first hand this weekend the difference between shaft and belt. My 414M2 was setup just to my liking (because I had it for so long) and I was running the same exactly electronics and motor (I had to gut the barracuda and put the electronics in the 414M2) and I also put the same tires on the 414M2 so this was the perfect comparison of belt vs. shaft. During qualifying, my lap times with the 414M2 was in the low 13s and mid 13s...I was not able to get into the 12 second bracket, where as the day before, I was easily in the 12 second lap times on the same track with the same eletronics, battery, motor and tires.

I had several racers came up to me telling me that my car (414M2) looks to be handling really good, I just lack the horsepower and the acceleration. I honestly believe now that in stock and spec type racing...shaft drive do have an advantage, and with many manufacture soon to be releasing shaft drive cars as well, it looks like manufactures also believe shaft is the way to go.

Thanks for reading guys, I apologize if it was a long post, but I thought those of you that are interested in buying the car would like to know how the first time went. I wish I could've told you guys I did great, but I'm an average racers just like all of you and I have my good days and bad ones. But I'm sure I'll see more good days in the future with the Barracuda

Thanks again!

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com

Last edited by SpeedTech; 03-02-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thanks for the update Speedtech. Sounds as you really like the R2. Any Idea when the first shipment will be in? Or how much they will be?

Thanks

ea
Old 03-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Hi guys, been reading this thread regularly for quite a while now. Some interesting reading and a very interesting car. I currently have a RC Lab, another not so convetional car I get bored too easily though and would love to try a R2 Cuda. The problem is I'm in the UK and have no idea how to get hold of one at a reasonable price, and from someone who understands English. If I was to get a R2 where would you reccomend? and what spare parts should I get whilst I'm ordering? and what kind of price am I looking at?
Old 03-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Talking He should have some info soon

Ya' I'm waiting for Steve to tell us all how it turned out this weekend!

-Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

EAMotorsports,

We should have our shipment in about 2 weeks time (or sooner) and more information and price will be updated tonight)

One thing I did to the transmission was I shimmed it differently than the instruction. I think the shimming is just something you have to play with, but if done correctly, you can expect a very efficient drivetrain and a very quiet car (I can't hear it going around the track). I also followed Dave's instruction on sanding down the gears and I can't believe it, but I am able to get my car to spin for about 11-12 seconds now That's a sure sign of a very efficient drivetrain, and it seems like it frees up more and more as I run the car.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com
Old 03-02-2003, 07:15 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Evoracer
Winter time !! Really......Isn't it cold there?? Ramen??...as In soup??....as in $1.00 for 4 at Walmart ??? I think KO was planning on something a bit more exotic !!! As for me...I'll get all the goodies I need at the Hobby Shops. So Summer wouldn't be good??
?? Ramen..?? for a 1$.?? Not that CR@P the real deal stuff .. Anyways You could come in Early agust if you wanted.?? that wouldn't be a problem.

-Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

I'm finally back from the NORRCA State Champ. I wish I can tell you guys I won the thing with my Barracuda, but the truth is I didn't do too well I suffered the typical "great car, bad driver syndrome"

For those of you that's interested, here's how my weekend went:

Friday:

I got to the track and I was amazed at how serious the banking was at the Bakersfield NORRCA home track. The banking on the track had to be around 30 degrees (or more, because if you stand in the flat ground in the infield, the top of the banking is as tall as your head ) and the infield was not technical but very brutal if you hit the pipes (because they don't move, and usually your car will break if you hit it). I spent most of the Friday getting the car ready and just ran a couple of laps. I wanted to see how the car worked out of the box as per instruction with the kit spring and it worked well even with the banking. I believe on Friday, my lap times were in the low 13s and mid/high 12s...which was competitive with some of the other racers, and since the car was not setup completely to my liking yet, I knew I can bring the lap time down even more.

Saturday:

I signed up for expert stock, instead of 19T which I was originally planning on running. I made two changes to the car, I moved the upper shock mount front and rear to a more upright position (1 hole out) and I changed to Yokomo Pink spring, which is stiffer than the kit black springs. This help the car to be more stable through the banking and not bottom out too easily going into and exiting the bankings. I was amazed at these little changes and the car was right where I want it. The car felt really good during this practice run and I was going faster and faster lap after lap. I was smiling on the driver stand thinking..."this car is great, I have good shot at doing well at this race..." (you know that feeling you get when you have really nice setup car on your hand) Then disaster struck (from too much smiling/thinking and not enough concentrating ) ...I clip one of the infield corner really hard and broke the front C-hub. It was such a big impact that you could've heard it in the pits, and I was surprised that the only I broken was a front c-hub. Unfortunately I did not have parts to fix the car, so I had to resort to my back up Tamiya 414M2. I got a taste first hand this weekend the difference between shaft and belt. My 414M2 was setup just to my liking (because I had it for so long) and I was running the same exactly electronics and motor (I had to gut the barracuda and put the electronics in the 414M2) and I also put the same tires on the 414M2 so this was the perfect comparison of belt vs. shaft. During qualifying, my lap times with the 414M2 was in the low 13s and mid 13s...I was not able to get into the 12 second bracket, where as the day before, I was easily in the 12 second lap times on the same track with the same eletronics, battery, motor and tires.

I had several racers came up to me telling me that my car (414M2) looks to be handling really good, I just lack the horsepower and the acceleration. I honestly believe now that in stock and spec type racing...shaft drive do have an advantage, and with many manufacture soon to be releasing shaft drive cars as well, it looks like manufactures also believe shaft is the way to go.

Thanks for reading guys, I apologize if it was a long post, but I thought those of you that are interested in buying the car would like to know how the first time went. I wish I could've told you guys I did great, but I'm an average racers just like all of you and I have my good days and bad ones. But I'm sure I'll see more good days in the future with the Barracuda

Thanks again!

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com

Hi Steve...
Sorry to here about the C-hub..
Now you see why I run the Square parts .. The Factory one are really strong.. but when you have a bigcrash Stuff is bound to take a sh!t..

Good to here that the car was really easy to set up

-Dave

Old 03-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by SpeedTech
EAMotorsports,

We should have our shipment in about 2 weeks time (or sooner) and more information and price will be updated tonight)

One thing I did to the transmission was I shimmed it differently than the instruction. I think the shimming is just something you have to play with, but if done correctly, you can expect a very efficient drivetrain and a very quiet car (I can't hear it going around the track). I also followed Dave's instruction on sanding down the gears and I can't believe it, but I am able to get my car to spin for about 11-12 seconds now That's a sure sign of a very efficient drivetrain, and it seems like it frees up more and more as I run the car.

Steve Wang
Speed Tech R/C
www.speedtechrc.com

Thanks Steve..

I told you guys.. I know all the tricks about this Car.... That's why I'm the "OFFICAIAL BARRACUDA NUT"

-Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 07:38 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by EAMotorsports
I think our boy dynoman is going to send me a cuda to play with this week!! Just need to get him to answer his phone!!

I wonder how MR. Wang did with the R2 this weekend?

ea
you gonna knoxville the 8th for the state? if so i will see you there
Old 03-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Thanks Steve..

I told you guys.. I know all the tricks about this Car.... That's why I'm the "OFFICAIAL BARRACUDA NUT"

-Dave
ok Mr Nut, make me a list of all the parts I should buy if I order a kit. So I don't have to make another international order every other month.

Also does it take a standard spur gear? and what kind of spur sizes are most useful? I'd be using 48dp gears.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
Hi guys, been reading this thread regularly for quite a while now. Some interesting reading and a very interesting car. I currently have a RC Lab, another not so convetional car I get bored too easily though and would love to try a R2 Cuda. The problem is I'm in the UK and have no idea how to get hold of one at a reasonable price, and from someone who understands English. If I was to get a R2 where would you reccomend? and what spare parts should I get whilst I'm ordering? and what kind of price am I looking at?
There should be a few people that you should be able to buy the R2 from here in the next couple of months in the states
-Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by EAMotorsports
Talked with Barry at Hyperdrive...The anodize place said the can do virtually any color. Keep in mind though that with different grades of alumn the color will also vary. Associated VCS shocks are a differnt kind of alunm than what Barry makes the HD stuff from so when we send stuf off the shocks always come back a lighter color. But when its on the car away from any of the other alumn you never notice it. I have some pics of one of my oval cars done in green if you want to check them out.

ea
Show me the pic's!!!
-Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
ok Mr Nut, make me a list of all the parts I should buy if I order a kit. So I don't have to make another international order every other month.

Also does it take a standard spur gear? and what kind of spur sizes are most useful? I'd be using 48dp gears.

I would get the Double front oneway/All of the Square aluminum parts i.e. C-hubs, steering nuckles, and rear hubs.

and also the most useful spur size is 72t.. but I use the 66~72... 69 and 72 the most.... because of the racing that I do..

the final drive on the Barracuda is 2.44

-Dave
Old 03-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

I'm in the UK though so I'm wondering if the kit will cost more in the States after it's beenn shipped there and then to the UK, instead of getting one from the East shipped to the UK. Come on SpeedTech, tell us the prices you may get another pre order out of it and what spare parts will you be getting straight away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.