Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 07:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

xxxkat - The stock pistons have a really small hole in them, and they suggest using something in the range of 100-200wt oil. RBF found that using HPI #2 pistons will let you tune the car a little easier. If some of the other drivers are using 40wt oil, it would be a good place for you to start there. Much easier than finding the 100, or 200wt oils that the pistons are made for in Japan.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally posted by xxxkat
Small tight track,outdoors,asphalt.One question I do have is on the shocks,does the R2 need a stiff set up due to the location of the arm mounts ? right now I'm running 30wt all the way around and its like I'm using 100wt. I'm not sure what pistons are on the car(I bought the car used)What pistons should I be using?
XXX
Actualy with the very long arms a softer setup can be utilized with less chassis roll, this is one of the things I like most about the car, and also the thing that took the longest time to figure out.

The kit springs (1.4x6.0) are very soft compared with any other car out there. As El Randman said the piston holes are on the small side for the shock fluids we have in the states.

Try and find some of the HPI #2 pistons, or drill the holes out to 1.2mm. I use 40Wt Losi fluid.

For your tight track leave the standard springs on, move the shocks all the way out, top & bottom.
Droop 3mm fr & Fr
Ride Ht 5mm Fr & Rr
1/2 deg toe out Fr
Check Rr toe, should be 2.5 deg toe in (some kits were shipped with the wrong rear uprights 4 deg toe in)

And make sure to pickup a set of aluminum shaft holders, those along with the Robinson Machined spur gear will give you good durability with the drivetrain.

And remember to have fun, its not the destination....rather the journey that makes it worthwhile
Old 07-22-2003, 07:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

El Berger, what time do you think you'll be at the track today? I'm lookin at 1pm. Found a carpool, I'm gonna be riding with Intellegentsia to the track.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:08 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Randman
El Berger, what time do you think you'll be at the track today? I'm lookin at 1pm. Found a carpool, I'm gonna be riding with Intellegentsia to the track.
1ish El Cajones Randy

No El here in Hermosa
Old 07-22-2003, 08:12 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

lol. Dont worry, I wont touch hermapherdite (sp?)

See you around 1.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I take it you guys race at so.cal?
Old 07-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

hi guys sorry to bother you but i am havin a bit of a setup problem and would apreciate any help im runin stock setup exept from the camber links are changed to longest and highest positions i race a stock 27 mvp motor with 70/24 gearing and race on a very slidy polished wood floor with shumacher yellow mini pins(the choice of tires for the track) and was still sliding all over the place even with the max traction setup and want to hook the car up a bit more even tho the laptimes where good i still feel they could have been faster

thanks for any help
Old 07-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by John_S
hi guys sorry to bother you but i am havin a bit of a setup problem and would apreciate any help im runin stock setup exept from the camber links are changed to longest and highest positions i race a stock 27 mvp motor with 70/24 gearing and race on a very slidy polished wood floor with shumacher yellow mini pins(the choice of tires for the track) and was still sliding all over the place even with the max traction setup and want to hook the car up a bit more even tho the laptimes where good i still feel they could have been faster

thanks for any help
John think like this ...
Go soft or Go Home
I think for the long arms it is best to run the mid camber link on the upper deck, and add a 2mm shim under the front links.
I have NEVER found the upper link position on the hubs to be of any value !
Use the kit springs or if you have the option in your case lighter springs should be better, you can judge this by the amount of chassis roll.

Old 07-22-2003, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

I agree. Use a lower camber link on the shock tower (or where ever it mounts) The higher you go, the more 'stiff' you make the car, ie... the roll center changes to not allow as much roll. Lowering the links will let more weight transfer, but the car may get kinda weird in the chikanes.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

I have also raced my cuda on a wooden floor using mini pins and COMPLETELY stock settings are the way to go, atleast for a start. You'll probably only want to make small changes to something like spring used on either end or shock mounting position, although I didn't change a thing in the few weeks left I had of the indoor season. If the car is sliding a lot try softer or no insirts, or get some narrow yellow mini pins. I find it's more an act of getting the car balanced rather than getting it to grip. And don't change things too quickly, with wooden floors the grip can change a huge amount in a very short space of time as the dust gets moved around.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by RedBullFiXX
John think like this ...
Go soft or Go Home
I think for the long arms it is best to run the mid camber link on the upper deck, and add a 2mm shim under the front links.
I have NEVER found the upper link position on the hubs to be of any value !
Use the kit springs or if you have the option in your case lighter springs should be better, you can judge this by the amount of chassis roll.

Dave~man

Wait till you here about my set up that I am running with the long arms! it will totally blow you away on how it`s set up but man is it dialed
-Dave
Old 07-22-2003, 06:59 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
Dave~man

Wait till you here about my set up that I am running with the long arms! it will totally blow you away on how it`s set up but man is it dialed
-Dave
ok dave share some info and send the pics when you get a chance i still havent got them
Old 07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Tech Champion

Default Long Arm Setup

Dave:
Its good to hear your running the R2 as it should be

Get that bad boy dialed & we can swap setups. Heh, my car is good, really good, but we can help each other to make them even better
Old 07-22-2003, 11:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by xxxkat
I take it you guys race at so.cal?
Yep
Old 07-22-2003, 11:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Had a descent day at SoCal today. I couldn't get the car to work just like I wanted it to, the track was a little higher speed, and I work better on the tight twisty stuff. I was able to qualify 4'th in the pro stock A-Main, and after racing up to 2'nd place, I ended up tagging a corner dot which sent me back to 4'th where I finished. Still nothing broken except spur gears (which I did go through another one today) so I am really happy with the car still. I think part of the problem today was just me bieng out of it, had a really early morning, and I've been tired all day...

Hopefully next week I'll do better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.