Search
Like Tree1Likes

Barracuda from Alex racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by Michal101

Dave, was correct, but I still feel that the torque rods firm things up a little especially when taking sharp turns at high speeds.

I hope this helps, Mike

-Dave
Old 04-12-2003, 09:11 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default My Barracuda Experience

Well, I must say, I am impressed. I just wanted to make today a practice session, on our carpet track. The car was pretty good in the first practice, it pushed a little so I did some minor changes and it was better. I raced the R2 basicly stock. Front: 80wt oil, stock #2 pistons, kit springs. I leaned the shocks down one more hole in the shock tower, Plaid jaco foam tires. Rear: 70wt oil, stock#2 pistons, part # 6113 hub carriers to take away a lot of the tow in, purple foam jacos. I also ran a Yoke D type body. I ran -1 degree camber in the rear, and -2 degrees in the front. The car was really fast and hooked up but I need more in the motor dept. I qualified 2nd but should have been TQ but no mojo in the motor dept. On the first lap, I was all over 1st place and wanted by, really bad but he hesitated in a turn and I spun him around. I slowed and tried to wait for him to give back the positon and then the rest of the pack caught him and we caused a small crash and 4 cars got by. I fought through and almost caught the 1-3 place cars and got 3rd and 2nd place piped it right in front of me and we both needed marshalling and he was the first to take off. The leader was almost coming upon me but I left him but not enough time to catch him. I finished 3rd in the 1st race with the new car and I didn't expect much. It was fun though, wish I would have gone on, on that first lap but no biggie, I'm happy. We go race outside next week and I have to work late that saturday Any other qestions about my setup, let e know. Met Joseph,(KORACER) and he was a very nice person, glad him and his friend will come back. Sorry for the bad grammer, I'm tred and don't feel real well
Old 04-13-2003, 03:42 AM
Tech Regular

Just back from club race meet and I have to say that I'm impressed with how the car is handling and performing on the track.

Posted my best time EVER today and have pretty much dialed the car in for the track

The stock position only gave 1 degree total toe in so I reversed the Square alloy hub carriers. This resulted in 2.5 rear toe which helped improved overall stability during cornering. This seems to be the optimal setting for my track.

Still not running any sway bars as it was not really needed.

Motor: Fantom Monster Stock 27t motor, Reedy 767 brushes
Batteries: Trinity Team GP3300s
Gearing: 72/27 or 6.48 final ratio
Tires: Takeoff CS27 rubber tires
Shocks: 50wt all round, 1.5 x 5.25 mm springs all round
Droop: 3mm front, 4mm rear
Ride height: 6mm front, 6.5mm rear
Misc. : PAL motor mount and front torque rods

I also stood up the shocks at the front slightly from the stock setting which helped stiffened up the front end. Rear end was also stood up but not as much as the front to make it a little softer.

Turn in was great and the rear end had a slight hint of looseness which helped rotate the car around the corners.

On a slightly bad note the front portion of the lower chassis (where the bumper attaches) has delaminated slightly due to a collision with a corner dot Patched it up wit lots of superglue so it should hold up for a while

Looks to me like the Evo 3 will see less drive time
Old 04-13-2003, 05:38 AM
Regional Moderator

Post cuda racing

hey guys after a year off the track(MAJOR house remodel job ) i went yesterday and ran the cuda speedway pal car . and man it showed . the cuda did very well but could not get my jaco's to fit just right and every corner that i took it rubbed the front turn buckle or wanted to lock up and send me in the pipe. missed a heat because of a stripped spur gear
but after getting home last night at 12 ish i got my car fixed and smooth and ready to go back and make a good showing this time . i could tell i was a bit rusty and it showed but im back for some hard core racing now that the house is almost
done . but anyway the cuda is a TOUGH car

met ImGoinRCn (heath) and he had his R2 dialed
good racing heath and nice meeting you! i will back back and ready next time

MAN IF I ONLY HAD THE EXCEL KIT

Last edited by Ko Racer; 04-13-2003 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:44 AM
Regional Moderator

Nice meeting you Joseph, and will see you next week on the asphalt. Remember, the racing will start at 2pm, and I think the track opens for practice around 9 or 10am.
Old 04-13-2003, 05:51 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by ImGoinRCn
Nice meeting you Joseph, and will see you next week on the asphalt. Remember, the racing will start at 2pm, and I think the track opens for practice around 9 or 10am.
asphalt .....YEAH YEAH YEAH now that is my kind of track

see you next weekend heath
Old 04-13-2003, 05:57 AM
Regional Moderator

I'll be there, it might be late b/c of work, but I'll be there...
Old 04-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Well I had an eventful practise day. I went out with my sotck motor in and found the worst interferance ever at the far end of the track, was like someone had turned their transmitter on but it kept happening at the same point so had to move off the raised area we used as a rostrum and go around the track a bit. It meant I couldn't see the straight at all well so I moved round further, just a long way to walk
First run I did ok, was leading after two guys using mods crashed, one of them with a 14turn was not catching me very fast, Matrix stock really is awsome outdoors then my car stopped, the reciever wire from the ESC had been dragging along the ground and worn through the negative wire, got ti fixed for the next round, a club mate did a very neat job for me. He also skimmed my 15x4 and found what was causing the problem, the schotty diode was blown. Went out again with stock since I didn't have time to change motor and after one corner my car went stright on, out of sight into a wall, wasn't too fast luckily and car was fine, somehow the servo horn screw was missing and the horn had come off
I put my 15x4 in the car and went for a practise, the plug from the negative side of the motor going into the speedo was slightly damaged and so wouldn't hold firmly in the speedo.
Add to this the fact that I managed to touch the positive terminal on my 12V battery with the negative lead from the charger to cells, my charger got kind of smokey I'm testing it now to see if it still works, it's been discharging ok but I need to see if it will handle a full whack charge.

What little run time I got showed the car was fast, a little loose at the rear but thats probably because the track was very dusty.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

my charger is knackered
it will discharge but when I try charging it starts then the fan dies slowly and the charger resets itself, time to look for a good replacement for my pro-peak super nova there goes my alloy parts money
Old 04-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
my charger is knackered
it will discharge but when I try charging it starts then the fan dies slowly and the charger resets itself, time to look for a good replacement for my pro-peak super nova there goes my alloy parts money

Hit me up Hermi.I might be able to help you out with a Novak

-Dave
Old 04-13-2003, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: My Barracuda Experience

Originally posted by ImGoinRCn
Well, I must say, I am impressed. I just wanted to make today a practice session, on our carpet track. The car was pretty good in the first practice, it pushed a little so I did some minor changes and it was better. I raced the R2 basicly stock. Front: 80wt oil, stock #2 pistons, kit springs. I leaned the shocks down one more hole in the shock tower, Plaid jaco foam tires. Rear: 70wt oil, stock#2 pistons, part # 6113 hub carriers to take away a lot of the tow in, purple foam jacos. I also ran a Yoke D type body. I ran -1 degree camber in the rear, and -2 degrees in the front. The car was really fast and hooked up but I need more in the motor dept. I qualified 2nd but should have been TQ but no mojo in the motor dept. On the first lap, I was all over 1st place and wanted by, really bad but he hesitated in a turn and I spun him around. I slowed and tried to wait for him to give back the positon and then the rest of the pack caught him and we caused a small crash and 4 cars got by. I fought through and almost caught the 1-3 place cars and got 3rd and 2nd place piped it right in front of me and we both needed marshalling and he was the first to take off. The leader was almost coming upon me but I left him but not enough time to catch him. I finished 3rd in the 1st race with the new car and I didn't expect much. It was fun though, wish I would have gone on, on that first lap but no biggie, I'm happy. We go race outside next week and I have to work late that saturday Any other qestions about my setup, let e know. Met Joseph,(KORACER) and he was a very nice person, glad him and his friend will come back. Sorry for the bad grammer, I'm tred and don't feel real well

Wow

Sounds like you had a very good outing with the Cuda' 1st time Heath .... So how does it compare to your MR-4

-Dave
Old 04-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Regional Moderator

Well, the cuda isn't perfect yet but I did come within .1 of a second of my best lap time. The car was very steady, predictable and no torque steer. I need to fine tune it. We are outside next week so I'll see how it goes, if I get to make the race.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: cuda racing

Originally posted by Ko Racer
hey guys after a year off the track(MAJOR house remodel job ) i went yesterday and ran the cuda speedway pal car . and man it showed . the cuda did very well but could not get my jaco's to fit just right and every corner that i took it rubbed the front turn buckle or wanted to lock up and send me in the pipe. missed a heat because of a stripped spur gear
but after getting home last night at 12 ish i got my car fixed and smooth and ready to go back and make a good showing this time . i could tell i was a bit rusty and it showed but im back for some hard core racing now that the house is almost
done . but anyway the cuda is a TOUGH car

met ImGoinRCn (heath) and he had his R2 dialed
good racing heath and nice meeting you! i will back back and ready next time

MAN IF I ONLY HAD THE EXCEL KIT
Glad to to here that your Back on the track Joseph and it's even better to see that You are Driving a Alex Racing PAL Cuda'

-Dave
Old 04-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Tech Elite

nice to see so many good first outings, seems the car handles well on a lot of surfaces with the kit setup, shows it must be neutral

Luckily most my cells are fairly fully charged thanks to not completing a decent length run and a club mate has a spare charger he'll lend me to top up with tomorrow night and use next weekend.
Any help you could give me would be great Dave, PM me with what you have in mind. Great to hear you'll be heading back home in a few weeks, you guys did a very good job out there

How did you strip a spur gear KO Racer? after stripping my first spur and changing how I mount it my new one is showing no signs of wear. Steve's tip of tightening down the top deck before the bottom screws for the bulkheads is a very good one for getting a good shaft alignment
Old 04-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Herminator
nice to see so many good first outings, seems the car handles well on a lot of surfaces with the kit setup, shows it must be neutral

Luckily most my cells are fairly fully charged thanks to not completing a decent length run and a club mate has a spare charger he'll lend me to top up with tomorrow night and use next weekend.
Any help you could give me would be great Dave, PM me with what you have in mind. Great to hear you'll be heading back home in a few weeks, you guys did a very good job out there

How did you strip a spur gear KO Racer? after stripping my first spur and changing how I mount it my new one is showing no signs of wear. Steve's tip of tightening down the top deck before the bottom screws for the bulkheads is a very good one for getting a good shaft alignment

Hermi' on the Speedway PAL Barracuda there is only one way to mount the spur gear unlike the R2 ..also The PAL Barracuda (R1) has 1 bearing Alloy Shaft holders F & R ..so the shaft has a little bit more Play than the R2....thats why almost every R1 should have a Shaft/Shaft Holder as it's 1st mod ....and on one more side note...the Speedway PAL Barracuda has the Motor mount on the other side of the chassis...& there is only one company that "Made" motor/shaft mounts for it (ONE FLAG) but they are no more ..But I still know where to buy a couple of them ...
-Dave
Attached Thumbnails Barracuda from Alex racing-pal-one-flag.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.