Search
Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by racer x 1
Where is this conversion available?
I don't think YoDog has it available yet to everyone. I was one of the lucky few that was allowed to be a BETA tester ( HE let me get one to stop me from asking him about it all the time. LOL). It will be worth the wait.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by patorz31
I don't think YoDog has it available yet to everyone. I was one of the lucky few that was allowed to be a BETA tester ( HE let me get one to stop me from asking him about it all the time. LOL). It will be worth the wait.
Guys, at this time I only have 4 Beta kits and the prototype I am running that will be hitting the track in various places. As I get feedback from the beta drivers and make needed revisions, I should hope to have some parts suppliers lined up to make the aluminum parts in bulk. At the moment, aluminum parts and the new hardware make it a bit difficult from a cost standpoint. I want to be sure that I can deliver the kit at a reasonable price point and still maintain the quality you guys deserve. I hope that my beta drivers have as much pleasure driving this conversion as I have. Hang in there folks!
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-img_0200-800x600-.jpg   Team Associated TC4-img_0198-800x600-.jpg   Team Associated TC4-img_0195-800x600-.jpg   Team Associated TC4-img_0201-800x600-.jpg  
Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Parts List and Tips

This is a very informative thread (although also very long)
Ok heres what I got so far: Associated TC4 club racer, Novak ballistic boss VTA edition, Hobbywing Justock, 40C 5000mAh 2s, hs5645mg on steering, threaded shock upgrade w/40wt green springs rear blue front

Need some advice on what parts to order (what breaks most often?) so when racing comes I have a stash.

Should I worry about a faster steering servo? (had plenty hs5645mg's laying around)

Are anti-roll bars necessary (front, rear, or both)?

Should I run my nib HPI tires on asphalt to scuff them some?

Last edited by NEOStrech; 10-05-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

Wink

There is only one tc4.2 buddy.... The Yodog kit is only a chassis, the tc4.2 is alot more than that... I can add a Yodog chassis to my tc4.2 and call it the tc4.3 , but the pictures have not impressed me so far(same goes to the diggity designs chassis)... The 84mm chassis is an improvement on the previous chassis, but the all the steel hardware and the heavy body will cost you in laptimes. A floating battery mount(no tape) , a low CG battery pack(Lrp lcg) , an ewhippler CF driveshaft, IRS aluminum front spool and rear diff outdrives , front DCJ drives, aluminum/titanium screws, remove all bearing seals, and a superlight blitz(0.5mm) body will improve this Yodog chassis for sure....
On another note, why get the Yodog chassis and use heavy steel screws??? Don't slow the car down already please......
Originally Posted by patorz31
Believe me there are enough holes in YoDogs kit to accommodate a shorty. and wherever you want to put it. The kit is wicked. The fit the finish and the way it goes together is great. I will post some pics of mine tonight.
The new motor mount makes it way easier to adjust gear mesh over the FT one and the Diggity Design one. I changed almost all of the hardware over to Metric and even with all of the steel screws it's lighter then the Diggity conversion.
Unlike some that claim to have a TC4.2 YoDog actually made one.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-05-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Tech Initiate

This is my setup and was wondering if I can get some help in what spur/pinion setup for the most torque/speed and anything else that I can upgrade. I know when I give it full throttle she goes all over the place. Thanks in advanced!!

Trinity D4 17.5 brushless
Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL60 sensored ESC
Savox slim servo (forgot the model #)
GRP aluminium steering rack
Heavy duty CVD bones
42p Robinson pinion with stock (whatever it is) spur gear
Old 10-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
There is only one tc4.2 buddy.... The Yodog kit is only a chassis, the tc4.2 is alot more than that... I can add a Yodog chassis to my tc4.2 and call it the tc4.3 , but the pictures have not impressed me so far(same goes to the diggity designs chassis)... The 84mm chassis is an improvement on the previous chassis, but the all the steel hardware and the heavy body will cost you in laptimes. A floating battery mount(no tape) , a low CG battery pack(Lrp lcg) , an ewhippler CF driveshaft, IRS aluminum front spool and rear diff outdrives , front DCJ drives, aluminum/titanium screws, remove all bearing seals, and a superlight blitz(0.5mm) body will improve this Yodog chassis for sure....
On another note, why get the Yodog chassis and use heavy steel screws??? Don't slow the car down already please......
Yeah.. Can we see pics of this fabulous car you have? Any Race videos on this thing dominating? Or even running the A-main? B-main? C-Main? D-main?

Ok Floating battery? What advantage does that have, ran them on my other TC's and wasn't faster then tape, heavier yes but faster nope.

I run the lightweight batteries Bert, best Team Powers offers. Not a fan of carbon driveshafts dealt with them when I was into Ten Tenths Predators years ago, (been doing this stuff along time) don't miss them. Aluminium Spool Check have that, Stock rear rear diff outdrives (Really the IRS ones ain't going to show up on a stop watch) Oh I have dcjs, in mine. For bearings, Bert I will do the same as my TC, by cheap ones replace often (Usually every 2 weeks). Oh lightweight bodies, please the heavier ones are fine, you just have to tune a little differently, they are actually better when you are in low grip situations, before you ask they transfer more weight to the outside tires quicker.

As for the steel screws, I used them because I piled all the parts and electronics together including the packages of steel Screws, put it inside of a Protoform Firebird body and put it all on the scale. With all of that and USGT tires it weighs 1390. I intend to run it in our Scale Spec class (Canadian Version of USGT) and it has to weigh 1450g So why bother with all of that crap.

So Bert, lets make it easy put your money where your mouth is and come here and race. We have a big race this month in Calgary Alberta, come up race and beat me I'll pay for you plane tickets and hotel.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Please keep in mind that this is a conversion not a complete car kit. The intent is to make the TC4 up to date and more competitive. Adding all these things you propose will cost significantly more money to produce than simply buying a lightweight modern TC kit from the beginning. Anyone can swap out heavy parts for lightweight ones, that's not my intention. I'd rather leave that up to the individual to decide. I can assure you that the car has plenty of room to improve with regards to weight, however, due to the dramatic handling improvements I have made, the kit is a marked improvement over the stock chassis irregardless. My car as it sits right now with all the stock hardware and steel components comes in at 1450 grams ready to race. Sure that's 70 grams over the ROAR minimum for most TC classes but as I've said, each racer can decide if less weight is desired and can be accomplished by swapping steel for aluminum.
The weight benefit that comes with a carbon fiber chassis is more of a byproduct of my designs rather than the intent. The design is superior...

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Tech Elite

Can I come to Calgary and race? Dr. Google says its 1,650 miles, 27 hours transit time at the speed limit.

I have the Diggity conversion for my car and it's good for anything low-power, 13.5 seems to be stretching the limits of the chassis a bit, beyond that I would probably have quite pronounced handling problems as a result of chassis twist.

No need to poke up Bert, he does this for fun.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Yes you can come race. We actually have a large On-road scene up here. My club has over 100 members and we regularly see over 100 entries on a club night.

As for Bert, feeding the trolls is fun but eventually he has to put up or shut up.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default TC4 conversion Top Deck

Oops, meant to send a PM and somehow wound up in here, strange.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Question for YoDog: Will your prototype top deck fit a stock-geometry TC4? It looks like a much better piece than the Diggity top deck in preventing tweak.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesertRat
Question for YoDog: Will your prototype top deck fit a stock-geometry TC4? It looks like a much better piece than the Diggity top deck in preventing tweak.
The top plate in the pictures is already a rev back. To answer your question about torque twist, it does help. I actually redesigned it like this to thwart what I thought was torque twist. Turned out to be a mistake on my part installing the new chassis plate. I have since removed the additional ears. The hole spacing should be very close to the DD plate.I can send you one to try out.
PM me with your info.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Smile

Guys, every component of my tc4.2 bring the laptimes down ... Martin Hudy improved his Xray T1 with these same types of mini upgrades over a 10+ year period... I intend to do the same with the tc4, and the Yodog/dc4 chassis is one of the possible improvements that will only shine as part of the whole upgrade, and not by itself... All these chassis have potential, but need help just like the Xray cars.... You can't upgrade the tc4 halfway to laydown the same laptimes as the newer chassis out there....
I was running my tc4 with mediocre tools, and mostly eyeing things out, but I've now ordered a proper setup station and calipers to further increase precision... I appreciate your invite, but no thanks... I did not setup my tc4.2 yet....
Yodog, my suggestions were only made to reduce the laptimes enough to beat the competition, and boost the popularity of your design... The 84mm rendition is the best chassis upgrade out there currently, but without the other upgrades it will fall short vs the newer cars... The other companies are leaving no stones unturned, and so should we.....
I have a few videos out there of the tc4 running from the time I had no upgrades at all up to March 23 2014 when I ran just a few drivetrain upgrades... Since then, I never raced my car again , and I pilled on so many upgrades that my car lost over 80+grams .... I don't know how my car will perform now, but I can "feel the speed in the air"....lol.... There is no question that the Yodog chassis kit is lighter than the tc4 tub chassis , but by how much???? That is the real info that will make us buy it, and will probably make my tc4.2 become a tc4.3...... Let us know the weight difference....Cheers.....

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-05-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Tech Elite

Guys, every component of my tc4.2 bring the laptimes down ... Martin Hudy improved his Xray T1 with these same types of mini upgrades over a 10+ year period... I intend to do the same with the tc4, and the Yodog/dc4 chassis is one of the possible improvements that will only shine as part of the whole upgrade, and not by itself... All these chassis have potential, but need help just like the Xray cars.... You can't upgrade the tc4 halfway to laydown the same laptimes as the newer chassis out there....
I was running my tc4 with mediocre tools, and mostly eyeing things out, but I've now ordered a proper setup station and calipers to further increase precision... I appreciate your invite, but no thanks... I did not setup my tc4.2 yet....
Yodog, my suggestions were only made to reduce the laptimes enough to beat the competition, and boost the popularity of your design... The 84mm rendition is the best chassis upgrade out there currently, but without the other upgrades it will fall short vs the newer cars... The other companies are leaving no stones unturned, and so should we..... Cheers.....
From what I can see, the TC4 is no longer being supported by those who used to make aftermarket upgrades. I have a passion for what I do and I get a kick out of improving what most have ignored. I'm certainly not doing this for the money... I find it both sad and inspirational that most aftermarket companies choose not to provide much support for AE on-road kits. It gives those of us who care a chance to show our ingenuity. Although I don't have the resources of these other companies, I also don't have the overhead nor the obligation to make parts that sell for the sake of following a high volume trend. When I figure something out for myself, I feel obligated to share what works with my fellow racers. This is why I have no problem showing what I am working on as it develops.
If you feel you have hit upon something that improves the experience of your fellow racers, ie lap times, by all means, share what you have done and show your results.
Here is an older video of the first prototype. My driving sucks but the car was awesome! https://youtu.be/pHPdz-It2A8
Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

just to clarify.....Team Associated does NOT make a TC4.2 or TC4.3.....

please keep that "name" to yourself.....kit conversions are fine....but if you on on this thread every time a comment is made, please quit using the Team Associated TC4 and calling it a 4.2.....my email and pm box is full cause of it....

also if you are going to pom pom the TC4, please have some results and FACTS to support it. You cause major confusion among people trying to learn the chassis as it is sold by AE.

Thanks Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.