Like Tree300Likes

Team Associated TC4

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bribtb
Off power steering .
Other options not mentioned yet are rear ride height .5mm higher than the rear, 0° caster blocks or 1° toe out on the front tires.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rojna
more rear droop might help, are you using tire traction compound ??
I am not using traction compound. My front springs are silver and rears are blue.
Attached Thumbnails Team Associated TC4-image.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Initiate

I posted this in the USVTA section but I think I should have posted here. I have a TC4 that I'm setting up for VTA. What body posts are people using to mount their VTA bodies? I have the stock ones on right now but the front seems too low and needs to go up 1-2 more holes. Is there an aftermarket one people use with the TC4?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:57 PM
Tech Rookie

It is possible ... done it before, is it worth it .... no. The TC3 and TC4 basicly have the same suspension geometry.

Here is my TC3 with TC4 shock towers, chassis braces, steering blocks and top bumper brace.
Thanks

Would save me a bomb of money if I could make the Tc3 quick enough to keep up with the other cars in the 17.5t class..

I think I have read that there is NOT a gear diff option but I can get a front spool
I will be racing on carpet so any advice on modding the chassis or setup advice would be great.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

The TC4 suspension parts are NOT compatible with the TC3. None of them. I tried. On each part there is at the very least one measurement which differs from the TC3 parts. Maybe the C-hubs would fit but I'm not even sure. Besides, the TC3 has always had a better reputation than the TC4 performance-wise.

No gear diff and not needed. A well built steel diff with ceramic balls everywhere lasts forever.

Front spool : yes, can do, but you'll go through front CVD bones like crazy. They wear at the hole where the pin goes. The TC4 units are less prone to bending but the wear problem remains. And since steel units are basically impossible to find, you're better off running a second steel diff ball up front, only build it with stock 5/64 balls, ceramic thrust and set it really tight.

Apart from that, if you want to race your tc3, be prepared to have spare inner hinge pins, they bend if you look at them wrong.

Aluminum steering knuckles are also a welcome hop-up.

Sincerely, as much as I LOVE the TC3, -I really do- the Spec-R S1 or R1 seem like a much better deal for your money. 4 steel cvd's, probably better shocks than the old AE units, etc...

YES it's possible to run a TC3 and be fast with it , but it's neither easy nor cheap. For all the little parts I just mentioned the bill almost amounts the price of a Spec-r delivered to your door. Save yourself the trouble and go for the Spec-R. Having wrenched a sakura S once , I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by heretic; 01-30-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bribtb
I am not using traction compound. My front springs are silver and rears are blue.
1. swap springs, front blue, rear silver
2. get some tire compound ... SXT works great
3. your front tires look worn, get a new set.

Also get rid of the solid servo to steering link, put a normal turnbuckle in there ... those plastic ones flex a lot.

2013 SNOWBIRDS pics & video

Last edited by Rojna; 01-30-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by heretic
The TC4 suspension parts are NOT compatible with the TC3. None of them. I tried. On each part there is at the very least one measurement which differs from the TC3 parts. Maybe the C-hubs would fit but I'm not even sure. Besides, the TC3 has always had a better reputation than the TC4 performance-wise.

No gear diff and not needed. A well built steel diff with ceramic balls everywhere last forever.

Front spool : yes, can do, but you'll go through front CVD bones like crazy. They wear at the hole where the pin goes. The TC4 units are less prone to bending but the wear problem remains. And since steel units are basically impossible to find, you're better off running a second diff ball up front, only build it with stock 5/64 balls, ceramic thrust and set it really tight.

Apart from that, if you want to race your tc3, be prepared to have spare inner hinge pins, they bend if you look at them wrong.

Aluminum steering knuckles are also a welcome hop-up.

Sincerely, as much as I LOVE the TC3, -I really do- the Spec-R S1 or R1 seem like a much better deal for your money. 4 steel cvd's, probably better shocks than the old AE units, etc...

YES it's possible to run a TC3 and be fast with it , but it's neither easy nor cheap. For all the little parts I just mentioned the bill almost amounts the price of a Spec-r delivered to your door. Save yourself the trouble and go for the Spec-R. Having wrenched a sakura S once , I wouldn't recommend it.
I have run TC3 arms on my TC4 by drilling out the inner hinge pin hole in the arms, I have also run TC4 arms on my TC3 by drilling out the arm mounts. If you know how to use a drill bit you can make most TC3-TC4 parts compatible, the ONLY parts not compatible are the chassis, bumper & arm mount blocks ... yes you can even make the TC4 steering work on a TC3 with a dremel, been done lots of times before. Heck there are even losi parts that are compatible with the TC3 & TC4

steel units are basically impossible to find ... really
here you go :

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/2402/

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCZD1&P=7

http://store.rcspeed.net/catalog/pro...roducts_id=265

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+2402&_sacat=0
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Andy Redz

I think I have read that there is NOT a gear diff option but I can get a front spool
I will be racing on carpet so any advice on modding the chassis or setup advice would be great.
Granted it is not a drop in affair but putting a gear diff into a TC3 had been done before and posted here on RC TECH. It was a Micro-Pro gear diff made for the TOP Photon car that needs some machine work to make the metric housing fit the SAE TC3 bearings. I considered it but decided it was not worth the effort.

Also for those worried or complaining about a spool damaging parts in a crash, just use the TC5 slipper spool pads instead of the diff rings and balls and the problem is solved. The slipper spool ideas is one of the best ones our there and it surprises me more companies don't offer one for their cars.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS LS1
Also for those worried or complaining about a spool damaging parts in a crash, just use the TC5 slipper spool pads instead of the diff rings and balls and the problem is solved. The slipper spool ideas is one of the best ones our there and it surprises me more companies don't offer one for their cars.
The slipper spool mod with 2402 drive shafts is bulletproof, zero problems on my TC3 and TC4.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

I have run TC3 arms on my TC4 by drilling out the inner hinge pin hole in the arms, I have also run TC4 arms on my TC3 by drilling out the arm mounts. If you know how to use a drill bit you can make most TC3-TC4 parts compatible, the ONLY parts not compatible are the chassis, bumper & arm mount blocks ... yes you can even make the TC4 steering work on a TC3 with a dremel, been done lots of times before. Heck there are even losi parts that are compatible with the TC3 & TC4

steel units are basically impossible to find ... really
here you go :

http://www.teamassociated.com/parts/details/2402/

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCZD1&P=7

http://store.rcspeed.net/catalog/pro...roducts_id=265

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+2402&_sacat=0
Thanks a ton for the links. I must say I've been looking for a long time, with tons of different key word and I can't believe I never stumbled upon those. Thanks.

As for the suspension parts... yeah with a dremel lots of things are possible, I even fitted the whole suspension from my Cyclone on a TC3 chassis (seriously). But suggesting it to our friend Andy wouldn't help him much, would it ?

About the micro-pro diff, I thought of that guy's mod ( super nicely made btw) but like you said it is questionable wether it's worth the effort. The diff in itself requires quite a bit of work to be usable. (In case someone really wants to know I can tell you what I had to do to be able to use one in my Photon).

So, again, my point : get the spec-R car.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by heretic
Thanks a ton for the links. I must say I've been looking for a long time, with tons of different key word and I can't believe I never stumbled upon those. Thanks.

As for the suspension parts... yeah with a dremel lots of things are possible, I even fitted the whole suspension from my Cyclone on a TC3 chassis (seriously). But suggesting it to our friend Andy wouldn't help him much, would it ?

About the micro-pro diff, I thought of that guy's mod ( super nicely made btw) but like you said it is questionable wether it's worth the effort. The diff in itself requires quite a bit of work to be usable. (In case someone really wants to know I can tell you what I had to do to be able to use one in my Photon).

So, again, my point : get the spec-R car.
You dont need a dremel to use TC4 suspension parts on a TC3, just a drill bit, the only difference is the inner hinge pin size. When using TC4 Castor Blocks on a TC3 you need to drill 2 small holes for 2-56 screws in the arm to hold the hinge pin ... just like the TC4 has. You cant get TC3 4* castor blocks anymore but this way you can use TC4 castor blocks

Get a spec-r ??? no thanks ... I like my TC3 & TC4

ps you do realize its not shaft drive like TC3 & TC4

Old 01-31-2013, 05:07 AM
Tech Master

You dont need a dremel to use TC4 suspension parts on a TC3, just a drill bit, the only difference is the inner hinge pin size. When using TC4 Castor Blocks on a TC3 you need to drill 2 small holes for 2-56 screws in the arm to hold the hinge pin ... just like the TC4 has. You cant get TC3 4* castor blocks anymore but this way you can use TC4 castor blocks

Get a spec-r ??? no thanks ... I like my TC3 & TC4

ps you do realize its not shaft drive like TC3 & TC4

I was reffering to Andy Redz's hesitation between several options.
Nice website !
Old 01-31-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Forget about the Spec-R ! It's either convert your tc3 to a tc4 or get a new tc4 !!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

By the way, getting a tc3 that you loved and cherished for years to compete is not about cost, it's about taking on a challenge and succeeding !
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
It's either convert your tc3 to a tc4 or get a new tc4 !!!!
Why? There is nothing wrong with a TC3, just as good as a TC4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.