Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I believe he made an informal announcement on Facebook saying he's retiring "indefinitely".......
Sorry to hear about that. His contribution to this thread is one of the reasons I jumped on board with the Serpent.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
Sorry to hear about that. His contribution to this thread is one of the reasons I jumped on board with the Serpent.
That would really be sad if Martin retires Retires (he will be back) I think he has a side endeavor that may be occupying him.
GL Martin if this is true you will be missed
Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

What pinions for 17.5?
Old 06-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Thanks. I know the asphalt guys seem to like some rebound. I think I'm going to try zero rebound on the carpet......I'll let you know when I get a chance to run them.

I also have been trying a few more changes on the Exotech chassis, I found that the Exo (2.25) with the stock, uncut 2.50 top deck has made for a awesome handling car. I wouldn't have believed this till I tried it. Not sure if the 2.50 top plate came with the very first V1 cars or not, I know the 2.50 chassis came with all my cars originally. In any matter if you have one (2.50 top deck) give it a try on carpet, you might like the way it works.
ill see if i can get some video footage next outing for you all . we are pushing like 120km/hr down the straight into a banked sweeper, and no braking into it, it pushes the cars to the limit and the 411 is just a dream to drive on the track. Gas tourer lap record set at a nationals event, when the track had an insane amount of grip, has been broken and is held by the 411, even after EP Nationals last year. it was very close to being knocked off by the current National champ, but it still remains held by the Serpent, even in lower grip conditions now.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by teeforb
What pinions for 17.5?
I've always found my gearing using 47-50 against a 94 or 96t spur.

The 2.25 chassis and 2.5 upper deck is great on carpet...... It it's my favorite combo. I forked the front of the upper deck about 1.25" and it smoothed the steering out wonderfully.

With bladder-style shocks 0 rebound also was the fastest for me on carpet. A lightly cut upper deck plus the 0 rebound made the car ridiculously smooth. In my opinion, rebound isn't necessary because the spring rebounds itself.... The oil and piston is to control that action, not add to it.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The 2.25 chassis and 2.5 upper deck is great on carpet...... It it's my favorite combo. I forked the front of the upper deck about 1.25" and it smoothed the steering out wonderfully.

With bladder-style shocks 0 rebound also was the fastest for me on carpet. A lightly cut upper deck plus the 0 rebound made the car ridiculously smooth. In my opinion, rebound isn't necessary because the spring rebounds itself.... The oil and piston is to control that action, not add to it.
i find some rebound is good. the 25% comes from a full stroke of the shock, now there wont be many times the shock is full compressed, but the little amount of rebound means also, more damping effect, and i used to build my shocks with minimal rebound, but then also found they didnt remain as consistant for as long. they tend to get air in them quickly and leads to other issues. but this is what i have found over my years of racing.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

This is parking lot racing I will be doing.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by teeforb
This is parking lot racing I will be doing.
If its bumpy, build with some rebound. The kit chassis and topdeck work quite well for me on smooth asphalt. Work on setup and getting used to the car, before playing with chassis flex.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 AM
Tech Adept

Last edited by jsorwell; 06-19-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: double post
Old 06-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsorwell
If its bumpy, build with some rebound. The kit chassis and topdeck work quite well for me on smooth asphalt. Work on setup and getting used to the car, before playing with chassis flex.
If it's like 0-15% then I round down to 0 because as stated it isn't always fully compressed. The only shocks I have ever been able to build completely DEAD that stayed that way were the Associated/Reflex shocks.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

That would be awesome..... RC Mart has good prices, but I hate waiting so long for just fans since they don't carry S411 parts keep us posted!
tqrcracing.com carries most of the Yeah Racing parts, tornado fan included (and they're in the US and ship REALLY fast.)
Old 06-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
That would really be sad if Martin retires Retires (he will be back) I think he has a side endeavor that may be occupying him.
GL Martin if this is true you will be missed
I believe he is just taking a break. Bigger question is when he comes back would it be with serpent.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
i find some rebound is good. the 25% comes from a full stroke of the shock, now there wont be many times the shock is full compressed, but the little amount of rebound means also, more damping effect, and i used to build my shocks with minimal rebound, but then also found they didnt remain as consistant for as long. they tend to get air in them quickly and leads to other issues. but this is what i have found over my years of racing.
On bladder shocks im use to putting on the bladders on the shock body first then use the back end of a exacto knife or turnbuckle wrench to seat the the bladder. I couldnt do this with the Serpent shocks without deforming the bladder. Bladder is tight fit in the cap. I had to seat bladder in cap first then put on shock body.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

I ran my Associated shocks on the car for a long time.... They have Reflex pistons and bladders so they are basically the smoothest available. After running the car with both bladder-style and the originals I can say that the car was always easier to drive on the Associated shocks, at least on carpet. I always loved TRF shocks so I plan to pick up a set to try.... They work great on every other TC, so the Snake should be no exception!
Also if you add the gunmetal anodized parts from exotek then they might match very well to the serpent. see here...

http://www.exotekracing.com/dampener...ollar-for-trf/
Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TSR-Serpent-...item27bf951403

Stumbled across this.... any input? Want to get the stock shocks working well, not looking to spend money on a different set at the moment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.