Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

what shock oil/diff oil brand do you guys generally use on this car?
Old 06-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtydan
personally i only use Xceed oils. how ever Xceed dont make 500,000 oil .
front diff i use 500,000 4 gears, rear i use 600cst 4 gears. shock oil, 500cst front 450cst Rear.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I usually use associated (made by Lucas oil) 40 wt 500cst front 32.5 388cst rear with white sometimes gray rear and usually gray front springs
Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Associated shock oil..... Cheap and pretty consistent. Xceed makes good diff oil..... Traxxas if you want 500k, OFNA if you want diff locker (my personal favorite).
Old 06-20-2012, 07:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The Xceed oils are priced right, and very consistant as well.

Gliders... 500wt with white springs seems to be over dampened to me. What pistons you using ?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimjav
After a lot of time enjoying the car this week i have stripped two servo arms, are you using any servo-saver?
I have some luck and both times only the arm suffered damage and the servo was in good shape but I don't want to destroy my servo so i have take the decision of using a servo-saver, Wich one is good? I was thinking of the xray t3 one, but it's quite expensive. i have a race this weekend and I am going to use the one that i have in my tamiya m05 but i need one for the s411

Cheers

javier
Xray servo saver is awesome. Using the super stiff right now and very happy with it. Robinson make some that are a little more budget friendly, but this is one of those failures I do not want to have during a race.

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Looks like I have one coming my way, picked up a clean roller for 200 shipped so I did Ok with the price. Where are you guys having the best luck finding parts?

Orca... if you can, maybe shoot me some baseline VTA set-up info, I will be running the car on parking lot asphalt. Rear grip is an issue at this track sometimes, and my test/tune time is very limited, will want to get it close pretty quickly. Thanks for the help in advance.
Parts I get from Serpent America or my LHS. Luckily we have a few cars running out here so we have some local support.

I am running med grip carpet so I am not sure how helpful it will be, but it is a starting point.

Running the 2.25 chassis (LE), 1.75 top deck, v2 steering, v2 motor mount, hard plastics, spool in front, gear diff rear (1k diff fluid), DJC axles.

Front
1.5 Camber
0.5 toe out
increased hinge pin blocks 0.5 front and rear (not sure of the numbers off hand as I am at work...meant to widen the track a little)
.5mm spacers between hexes and wheels for rim clearance
inner camber link 3mm, outer camber link 0mm
serpent black springs
32.5 associated shock oil, 4 hole piston
shock mount outer hole on arm 3rd hole on tower
2mm front, 1mm rear wheelbase spacers
5.5mm ride height
2mm droop over ride height

Rear
2.0 Camber
3.0 toe in
inner camber link 3mm, outer camber link 5mm
serpent gray springs
shock mount outer hole on arm 4th hole on tower
1mm front, 2mm rear wheelbase spacers
5.5mm ride height
1.5mm droop over ride height

Car was amazing to drive last Wednesday. I am getting a tad of front end push on power (rotates perfectly off power) which is costing me a little on my corner speed.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TimPotter
The Xceed oils are priced right, and very consistant as well.

Gliders... 500wt with white springs seems to be over dampened to me. What pistons you using ?
The 500 is up front with grays 3 hole
388 rear with white 3 hole. I sometimes use gray on rear but seldom.
The car works well outdoors for me on a low traction tight track with this dampening setup
Sound OK? Chime in with tips.
Thanks Tim
P.s
You are going to have to watch over us more with Martin taking some time
Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run MuchMore oil in the shocks and either Serpent,Associated,Mugan or Traxxas or OFNA in the diffs (it really depends on what weight I can find for the diffs)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Xray servo saver is awesome. Using the super stiff right now and very happy with it. Robinson make some that are a little more budget friendly, but this is one of those failures I do not want to have during a race.

Parts I get from Serpent America or my LHS. Luckily we have a few cars running out here so we have some local support.

I am running med grip carpet so I am not sure how helpful it will be, but it is a starting point.

Running the 2.25 chassis (LE), 1.75 top deck, v2 steering, v2 motor mount, hard plastics, spool in front, gear diff rear (1k diff fluid), DJC axles.

Front
1.5 Camber
0.5 toe out
increased hinge pin blocks 0.5 front and rear (not sure of the numbers off hand as I am at work...meant to widen the track a little)
.5mm spacers between hexes and wheels for rim clearance
inner camber link 3mm, outer camber link 0mm
serpent black springs
shock mount outer hole on arm 3rd hole on tower
2mm front, 1mm rear wheelbase spacers
5.5mm ride height
2mm droop over ride height

Rear
2.0 Camber
3.0 toe in
inner camber link 3mm, outer camber link 5mm
serpent gray springs
shock mount outer hole on arm 4th hole on tower
1mm front, 2mm rear wheelbase spacers
5.5mm ride height
1.5mm droop over ride height

Car was amazing to drive last Wednesday. I am getting a tad of front end push on power (rotates perfectly off power) which is costing me a little on my corner speed.
Is this on the USVTA car or a TC? Whats your ackerman setting on the V2 rack? Perhaps a little more ackerman will give you the power turn in your looking for.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Is this on the USVTA car or a TC? Whats your ackerman setting on the V2 rack? Perhaps a little more ackerman will give you the power turn in your looking for.
VTA and using 1mm spacers currently. Unfortunately just got back into VTA (raced 2 nights) and then moved (new house) over the last weekend. We race again tonight, and will start working on some adjustments. Car felt amazing, but could really see the difference compared to the top drivers in the corners. My car rolls well, but I have to slow a bit more then them going in. On the flip side, tires came off ~102* front, ~98* rear and had no loss in traction. The faster guys (some of them) where getting better on power rotation, but were coming off with hotter rears that were fading around the 6-7min mark as they overheated and began to pick up trash).

I have never tinkered with ackerman actually. I assume it will help with the front outside wheel bite with more aggressive wheel angle compared to the inside?

My other slow section is a chicane on the back straight, but it is mostly due to my own timidness upon entering. The walls are unforgiving, and I have not made a lot of laps lately (house thing again) so I do not have the confidence of the other drivers. It is definitely entry speed there as well.

I forgot to mention, also running front and rear sways, stock both, long links front, inner/inner on the rear links. The car rolls the corners nicely and does not skip or scrub speed, it is just the slower entry speed.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Ha... I will try, but I do not race nearly enough. My wife and I adopted a boy from Ukraine last year, so I cannot consistently race. More important things to do :>...

But we have a guy on our team that does not post here much, and is one of the fastest guys I know. Dave Vera is running the car, and he has his on point. Our setups are pretty close as well. I will harass him to help out here. My home track is med high to insane as far as traction goes, so most of our stuff is home spun. I will post my most recent setup when I get home from travelling, it is one of the best TC's I have driven in my life. It's so good that you just want to give the radio to people to drive... make 'em jealous.

I know each track is specific, but when I run the lighter springs with heavier oil, it just makes my car too lazy. This car, from the kit setup is super reactive, too much so for most US tracks ( IMHO ). I have REALLY liked the change to 450/400 with 3 hole pistons. It seems to me that really is the sweet spot for the springs we commonly run.....Black,Yellow,Gray,White.

Again.. if your air/track temps are high, you will want to run a little bit thicker oil.. so you may be on point...

BTW, all of our setups are on the Solaris hard tire. We run them as a spec tire.

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
The 500 is up front with grays 3 hole
388 rear with white 3 hole. I sometimes use gray on rear but seldom.
The car works well outdoors for me on a low traction tight track with this dampening setup
Sound OK? Chime in with tips.
Thanks Tim
P.s
You are going to have to watch over us more with Martin taking some time
Old 06-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ha... I will try, but I do not race nearly enough. My wife and I adopted a boy from Ukraine last year, so I cannot consistently race. More important things to do :>...

But we have a guy on our team that does not post here much, and is one of the fastest guys I know. Dave Vera is running the car, and he has his on point. Our setups are pretty close as well. I will harass him to help out here. My home track is med high to insane as far as traction goes, so most of our stuff is home spun. I will post my most recent setup when I get home from travelling, it is one of the best TC's I have driven in my life. It's so good that you just want to give the radio to people to drive... make 'em jealous.

I know each track is specific, but when I run the lighter springs with heavier oil, it just makes my car too lazy. This car, from the kit setup is super reactive, too much so for most US tracks ( IMHO ). I have REALLY liked the change to 450/400 with 3 hole pistons. It seems to me that really is the sweet spot for the springs we commonly run.....Black,Yellow,Gray,White.

Again.. if your air/track temps are high, you will want to run a little bit thicker oil.. so you may be on point...

BTW, all of our setups are on the Solaris hard tire. We run them as a spec tire.
Looking forward to the setup Tim.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Regular

Tim congratulations on your adoption. I race mostly club with my 8 year old son (a true treat and blast) I took a long break while he was young and now race mostly for fun and father son time. I can't wait for the day he passes me he is finishing well in sportsman, top 3 often. once he moves up he will pass me once and thats it. I am 48 and my best years are behind me but I can still keep the kids on there toes.
Old 06-23-2012, 04:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This thread better not go too quite...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Tech Champion

Quiet is not always bad... But more people are picking up the car every day...
Old 06-23-2012, 06:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quiet is not always bad... But more people are picking up the car every day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.