Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kensei
Sorry for me asking again, but I never ever had a geardiff. Don't wanna mess things up.........

Did you leave it at that then? NO
If not, which follow up? I clean it out with motor spray after.
If you would have used it longer than 2 mins each way, would the result have been better than? It should, but there is likely a diminishing return after more than 5 mins
Or is the stuff simply not cut out to do the job properly? there might be better stuff...but not sure as I only used the turtle wax rubbing compound

It's the brown kinda thick stuff, isn't it? the stuff I used is white
Put it in the diff up untill the diffaxle, or how much? up to the bottom of the diff axle
I answered your questions inline.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default S411

Martin

Have you already equalled your fast lap with your old Xray? How does it feel compared to the Xray? Thanks
Old 12-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by haywood
Martin

Have you already equalled your fast lap with your old Xray? How does it feel compared to the Xray? Thanks
Yes...I did, within a few batteries...I was actually very surprised it happened so quickly...and I know I can find more speed in the car with some more time.

More importantly I could consistently match the times. Normally I run about 34 laps in 6.01, using the xray with my best being 35 6.08 I think. With the serpent on my first run was a 34 6.01 and my second run was 35 6.9, with some driving mistakes, so I would say it is consistently fast.

The car felt very smooth with the setup I posted. There are some things I want to improve on like rolling through the middle of the corner more and having less rotation on exit, but I am only looking for small incremental changes there. When I get the ECS I think that will take care of the middle of the corner, and once the gear diff wears in a little more I think that will take care of the exit rotation.

I am extremely happy with the results from the first day of testing.

Cheers.

Martin.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Keep in mind that this was only my first day with the car, but I was very happy with this setup. My lap times (10.2 to 10.4) at my local (well 2 hours away) high grip carpet track were the same as what I would get on this layout with my xray. I only worked on changes to the spring rates, shock oils, roll center and rear diff oils, and left everything else the same. Also I don't have the ECS drives and the flex upper deck yet, which I think will help gain some more speed and consistency. The layout of the track is a great combination of tight corners, low and high speed chicanes and hard braking zones, so it was a good test for the car.

Having said that, the car felt incredibly smooth and easy to drive. I tried some higher roll center settings with softer (white) springs, and although the car had more lateral grip, it was a little harder to drive consistently, as it tends to be with most cars.

Also, as I got use to the car, and hit a lot of boards I tested out how strong this car is! I did not break any parts This surprised me given some of the hits it took.

Attached is my setup.

Cheers.
hi Martin.
nice to hear that you find the serpent so easy to drive :-)

i have a couple og questions about your setup.
1. did you use short or long link i the front ? (you forgot to mark it)
2. did you really use 300 oil in the rear diff ?

Steven
Old 12-25-2011, 11:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the comments about the app

I did not measure the droop using that approach. I measured droop above ride height. I do this by first measuring the ride height and then lift the car off the table sot that the tires are barely touching the surface and measure that ride height. The difference is the droop. I ran 2.5mm droop in the front and 3.0mm droop in the rear using this method.

As for the screws...I took out the 4 outer most screws and the one screw that screws into the motor mount.
Ok i thought so too.
Just wanted too check

Tnx
Marcus
Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Default Servo on Serpent S411

Maybe it is not really something for this thread, but hey I give it a shot.

Sold my RDX PHi '09 with servo Savox SC-1257 TG.
Ran WGT RC10R5 for a while than. Sold it with servo Futaba S9650 (mini 1/12th servo).

Starting all over again with Serpent S411 for the summer outdoor season.

Any suggestions on servos?
Does it make sense to use a low profile servo? Like Savox SC-1251 MG?
Looking for as low weight as possible. Futaba S9650 weighs only 29gr. Therefore me like very much...! But would that fit with the servoposts in the kit and the holes in the chassis the servoposts have to be used with?
Other options?

The manual offers the option to use double sided tape for the servo.
Never been there, never done that.
Anyone any experience on that matter?
Does it hold when in heavy competition?
Less weight because of not using the servoposts in the kit?
Not the possible problem of the servo not fitting in between the servoposts that have to go on the holes in the chassisplate?

What would you guys advise?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MarcusEngdahl
Ok i thought so too.
Just wanted too check

Tnx
Marcus
And as to Steven's question as to the use of 300 diffoil?
Old 12-26-2011, 02:55 AM
Tech Adept

Sold my RDX PHi '09 with servo Savox SC-1257 TG.
Ran WGT RC10R5 for a while than. Sold it with servo Futaba S9650 (mini 1/12th servo).

Starting all over again with Serpent S411 for the summer outdoor season.

Any suggestions on servos? Sanwa SDX-801 or the new Sanwa Brushless Servos
Does it make sense to use a low profile servo? Like Savox SC-1251 MG? I don't like Sävox, the "zero-point" isn't really good!
Looking for as low weight as possible. Futaba S9650 weighs only 29gr. Therefore me like very much...! But would that fit with the servoposts in the kit and the holes in the chassis the servoposts have to be used with? I don't know, is this Servo smaller then other ones? On Pictures it looks smaller
Other options?

The manual offers the option to use double sided tape for the servo.
Never been there, never done that.
Anyone any experience on that matter? Yes, used already a taped Servo on my S411 and a screwed Servo!
Does it hold when in heavy competition? Yes, normally yes ... you can fix the servo on one side with a servo post and tape then the servo, thats an better protection as ONLY taping. But normaly, it should hold.
Less weight because of not using the servoposts in the kit? I always prefer to use them. If you wanna save weight, try this with alloy steering posts, alloy camber links, titan screws and so on.
Not the possible problem of the servo not fitting in between the servoposts that have to go on the holes in the chassisplate? Normaly, no problems with regular 1:10 Touring Car Servos - i tried Sanwa & Graupner. I always use a Low-Profile Servo because you have more room for your electrics
Hopefully this helps
Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by #iZzy
Hopefully this helps
OK, many thanks. Sanwa it's gonna be.
By new brushless servo you mean this one?
http://www.rcmart.com/rc-servo-profi...v-p-34626.html
Any variations on that brushless theme?

In what way is it better than the other one you mentionend?
It is definitely a lot more expensive.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dameetz
I m racing this car on carpet right now at my local race (my 1st carpet race with this car), so far its been working perfectly. After 3 heats today I m still on top with 1 lap advantage over the 2nd place guy, also fastest lap by almost a second. Tommorrow we will have another 2 heats and then the finals. My car is almost all stock with only gear diff up front with 500k Kyosho oil, hard front arms and medium rear. I ll post the result again tommorrow and maybe a video of the race. Eversince I got this car, its been perfect whether on asphalt or carpet with all stock parts. I m loving this S411.
Here's one of the video during finals. My car started from pole (TQ) Yellow and blue. The car was so good on carpet that I lapped the entire field twice. I won 1st n 2nd final legs straight. Damn good car!! I m loving it. Tomorrow I should receive my LE kit to pair my current kit. Yeah!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I know a lot of people in this thread have a lot of patience for others but after about 4 pages of your posts i'm over it. Can we keep this discussion S411 related as this is not the 'I'm a newbie, answer every question i have about Rc' thread...
Old 12-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Thanks for the comments about the app
I see 3 versions of this app in the itunes store. Which is the most current?
Old 12-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Benzaah
I know a lot of people in this thread have a lot of patience for others but after about 4 pages of your posts i'm over it. Can we keep this discussion S411 related as this is not the 'I'm a newbie, answer every question i have about Rc' thread...
As it turns out you are for sure not one of the people who has patience for others. What a pity that occassionaly someone like you shows up to crap and vomit all over the place. Nothing good comes from down under so it seems. It's called down under for a reason afterall.

Thought of buying me the S411 one of these days. Definitely not gonna happen now. Pointing my money in another direction. There are other places where I am and will be treated with respect.

To moderator of this website: could my account please be terminated? I myself don't know how to do that.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Hey izzy,

I have finished construct my own team indoor asphalt track. Is it OK to use marc's german nats championship setup?? Here is first drive video.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFWF1BLLNg
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pcar951
Although I kinda hate to screw with this great setup (Jeremy's), I got all my hard plastics, 2.25 chassis, one piece motor mounts, ready to update my cars. Are you all running hard arms on the front only? And what about the one piece mount?
Jim at home I have done back to back to back to back test of the hard versus the med parts and I see/feel no difference and the clock confirms it. Maybe it's just my track curious to see what you come up with. I like the 2.25 chassis made the car just a little easier to drive for me. The one piece mount, the thing I like with it more than feel is I haven't lost a spur with it, the other not as succesful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.