Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Elliott Harper
On Asphalt, I use 400-500 shock oil with HPI silver springs (sometimes blue but silver 90% of the time)
I wish my local tracks had enough grip that silvers would work... I'm soo jealous!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Elliott Harper
Hi,
yes no problem, in answer to your first question, i've never actually tried any other sway bars other than Tamiya so i'm not sure...

As for the setup, I normally like to try and find a good basic setup that works well at most tracks. I do this by testing at home and then when we go to the big races and nationals, the car should always work well to start with. I find that changes such as springs, shock oil, roll centres and shock positions are good to test with to find a basic setup that works for you. From there, at the race you can just change these by small amounts to fine tune the setup.
Hope this helps?

Elliott
Elliott,

Thanks for sharing with us. Hope to see you here more often.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Elliot, thank you for your help, is amazing.

I have one question, the pilots of team tamiya, what oil always use in the rear gear diff with a low traction?

Regards Alejandro.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default question on droop

i am building my 417 and was looking at some base setups to start off with and i noticed that on the 417 setup sheet had the droop setting as

eg: 5mm in teh picture from the ground to the outside pin in the lower arm!!

is this measured with the chassis flat on the setup board and just measure 5mm up to the centre of the pin??

so not using droop blocks under the chassis anymore and measuring under the arm??
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Tech Regular

Default Recommended spur/pinion combo for 17.5 non-boosted

If I want to have an FDR of 4.0, I would assume that using the stock 111T spur would not fit, since the pinion would have to be 54T.

In order to fit the adjustment range on the motor bulkhead, any recommendations on spur tooth qty? I was thinking spur 100T, then pinion would have to be 49T...would this fit?

Recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhavlena
In order to fit the adjustment range on the motor bulkhead, any recommendations on spur tooth qty? I was thinking spur 100T, then pinion would have to be 49T...would this fit?
46t pinion will fit up against a 111t spur so I would assume a 49t/100t would be all good.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello,

I had a Problem, i have buy a new Lower Deck than the Old had Tweak. I have the new Lower Deck put on a glass table, and she is OK but with Elektronik an Bulkheads and the other Details she had Tweak.
In Front, right side, she comes 1mm from the Table, I know not where the error is. Does anyone know the problem?

Sorry for my English
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KHoff7
Wait until the Paved Nats at Jackson. Its all about tire prep and strategy.

Your 417 was quite good at the C Saturday, I finally got mine almost good by the main and it paid off.
I can't wait to head up to Jackson's this summer. Running the TT-01s in the 24hr enduro was fun and all but I knew I had to go back with my TC. I'm anxiously waiting on the 2011 Nats spec tire announcement. Hopefully, I'll find a suitable setup that'll work well at Jacksons.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (98%+)

If I want to have an FDR of 4.0, I would assume that using the stock 111T spur would not fit, since the pinion would have to be 54T.

Thanks!!
I have been running some no boost 17.5 and 13.5 classes lately. The best spur would be a 100 to 104 ,anything smaller makes in difficult to get to the back motor mount screw. I ran a 90 this past weekend and well....!!!, I won't do that again!

As for FDR of 4.0 , on tracks with larger then 100 ft. straights ,lower then 4.0 will be needed in 17.5 !
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kiloolli
Hello,

I had a Problem, i have buy a new Lower Deck than the Old had Tweak. I have the new Lower Deck put on a glass table, and she is OK but with Elektronik an Bulkheads and the other Details she had Tweak.
In Front, right side, she comes 1mm from the Table, I know not where the error is. Does anyone know the problem?

Sorry for my English
Mine does the same thing, it has something to do with the front blocks and the chassis drill points. I find it is not as bad if I run 0.5mm anti-dive. If I run 0mm antidive with both suspension blocks 0mm under them it seems to 'bind'.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AWK
How are you guys cleaning the TRF flourine sealed bearings? The same as the traditional metal shielded bearings?
Mineral spirits in a mason jar, shake shake shake, more mineral spirits, shake shake shake until the mineral spirits stay clean.

Dry, then lube with some Epic Royal Oil or other PTFE thin lube and you're good to go.

Are you planning on running TCS? Are you at KMA now? You should get your a$$ in gear and come race at WCRC in the 17.5 no boost class with us dude.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chrisk

eg: 5mm in teh picture from the ground to the outside pin in the lower arm!!

is this measured with the chassis flat on the setup board and just measure 5mm up to the centre of the pin??

so not using droop blocks under the chassis anymore and measuring under the arm??
You can use droop blocks, and most racers use that 5mm to under the c-hub.

The setup sheet shows it to the pin but it is always measured under the arm at the c-hub.

If you use the Tamiya droop gauge it is easy to do as it is a gauge and droop block all in one...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks!!
I'm down to 3.5-ish with a 100t spur (kimbrough with a body reamer used to clear enough for the other two pins holding the spur, thanks to Stitchy @ speedtech rc.) and a 55t pinion...

For reference it is pretty much maxed out on the motor mount right now.

96t spur may be easier if you need to go lower than 3.5 for those of you that run a torque rotor in an x12, d3 or ballistic...

Last edited by Tron; 04-25-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Props to Stitchy
Old 04-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Initiate

@jonest
No problem, I hope I can help

@Alejandro
Outdoors we all use 1000 oil 90% of the time.
However, on carpet I like to use a little softer oil like 800

@kiloolli
Have you checked that all of the aluminium parts are not bent? If so, try replacing the screws that secure the aluminium parts to the chassis with new ones. This can get rid of many tweak problems as the screws may have become slightly bent and it can be hard to notice this

Hope this helps
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

what's the difference between running a softer oil vs a harder oil for the gear diff at the rear? how do you know which way oil to use when tuning the car (i.e. when the car pushes on corner entry use a thicker oil?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.