Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey guys, where do you recommend running the two piece suspension mounts? I was planning on using them in the front, on the inside, since I've bent this one before and wouldn't mind the extra flex.

And I'm running the 1C one piece mount, I noticed the two piece mounts come in packages labeled 1C/1XC - do I need two packages to equal one one-piece 1C block? Can I use both pieces or are they different? Couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.. :/
Old 03-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation Split blocks (tuning feature)

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22
Hey guys, where do you recommend running the two piece suspension mounts? I was planning on using them in the front, on the inside, since I've bent this one before and wouldn't mind the extra flex.

And I'm running the 1C one piece mount, I noticed the two piece mounts come in packages labeled 1C/1XC - do I need two packages to equal one one-piece 1C block? Can I use both pieces or are they different? Couldn't find the answer to this anywhere.. :/
I ran them in the front and the rear of the chasssis. In the rear it's suppose to give more rear grip and in the front more steering. I didn't need more steering so I just put them in the rear. Two is all you need to set up your suspension for the front or the rear, if you want to do both then you'll have to buy another set. Just make sure in the front you have them positioned so you get the widest spread, for the rear the narrrowest spread.
Just my 2$
Old 03-06-2012, 05:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by EvetsFidrat
Hello all I just got a used TRF 417 and the rideheight in the rear right (battery side) is 1 mm higher than the rear left with the same shock length and preload.
The battery is pushed out as far as possible and the car is balanced left/right.
I double checked the shocks and they are all the same.
I set the chassis flat and tightened the topdeck on a flat surface many times with no change. THe chassis seems flat but the rideheight is still off.
Is it like this for everyone? Or do I need to change the hubs or the bearings or something? What's the usual cause?
Thx.
Set screws are fine because I am running plenty of droop and they dont touch the chassis until I get to 7 to 8 mm or rideheight. The pins seem fine but I'll try and switch the pins from one side of the car to the next to isolate it if that's the problem. I'll actually move the pins with the plastic cups with them because It's more likely that it's the cups that are worn because a bent pin would hinder suspention movement. Do they sell the plastic hingepin cups seperatly?
Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the delay.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yep part no.53709

So you swapped the shocks from side to side and had no change?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Hi EvetsFidrat,
if you could post some pics of the car someone may be able to spot what's wrong. I know there are times when I'm sure everything is correct then you look again later and realise you've put one of the pins in the incorect hole etc
Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://driftmission.com/weld-overdos...a-trf-dampers/

The yellow is kinda hot.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Taman
Hi EvetsFidrat,
if you could post some pics of the car someone may be able to spot what's wrong. I know there are times when I'm sure everything is correct then you look again later and realise you've put one of the pins in the incorect hole etc
I got it down to a 0.25mm difference from the 2 sides. The problem was that the 0.5 mm spacer for the roll center was acting like a spring and I needed to overtighten the high side to bring it to the same level. Funny how such a small space difference on the inside of the arm can have such a large impact at the hub. I couldn't even see that there was space all I know is that I was still able to turn the bottom screws even though they already felt tight.
Thx for the support
Cant wait to race this thing!
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Champion

is this the correct part for the gear diff II gears?

51460 TA06 Gear Diff Bevel Gear
Old 03-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
is this the correct part for the gear diff II gears?

51460 TA06 Gear Diff Bevel Gear
Yup
Old 03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I got it down to a 0.25mm difference from the 2 sides. The problem was that the 0.5 mm spacer for the roll center was acting like a spring and I needed to overtighten the high side to bring it to the same level. Funny how such a small space difference on the inside of the arm can have such a large impact at the hub. I couldn't even see that there was space all I know is that I was still able to turn the bottom screws even though they already felt tight.
Thx for the support
Cant wait to race this thing!
hmm, that shouldn't be the case... sounds to me like you have a bent suspension block. Strip it off the car, place it on a flat plate, then check for any bend in all directions.

If it is bent, then try bending it back, or get a new one. Those blocks are prone to bending after a good hit...

HiH
Ed
Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TryHard
hmm, that shouldn't be the case... sounds to me like you have a bent suspension block. Strip it off the car, place it on a flat plate, then check for any bend in all directions.

If it is bent, then try bending it back, or get a new one. Those blocks are prone to bending after a good hit...

HiH
Ed
Yep you are right the suspension block is tweeked
So this happens often then? Thanks for the heads up
Old 03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Yep you are right the suspension block is tweeked
So this happens often then? Thanks for the heads up
I've only bent (1) in 9 years running Tamiya's. So I would say no
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

It really depends what you hit and how hard

If you are running 1pc block in the FR position it's easy to bend either the block or the screws, and it's possible to bend the RR block too. It's a good idea to check your arm play after a hit, if one side seems to have more then you have probably bent a block.

Ahh feels good being back in blue!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Is everyone using the middle motor mount brace on the X? Are you leaving it off, or just inserting it and not tightening it down?

I'm about to start my build and haven't heard how people are using the 3 piece motor mount. The track I'll be running on is medium grip carpet.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
Is everyone using the middle motor mount brace on the X? Are you leaving it off, or just inserting it and not tightening it down?

I'm about to start my build and haven't heard how people are using the 3 piece motor mount. The track I'll be running on is medium grip carpet.
I leave mine off. I love flex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.